• October 22, 2020, 08:36:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: PS3 hogging most of the bandwidth (or so it seems)  (Read 12126 times)

Throwaway

• Level 1 Member
PS3 hogging most of the bandwidth (or so it seems)
« on: May 26, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »

Hey guys,

When using my DGL-4500 with a PS3 and a computer at the same time, the PS3 seems to take all of the bandwidth when it is running Netflix. To remedy this, I set up a gamefuel rule so that my PC had priority 1 with the PS3 on priority 2, yet the PC still gets high latency while Netflix is playing on the PS3.  Both of the systems have a DHCP reservation and are connected through ethernet.

I have gamefuel enabled, auto classification enabled, and automatic uplink speed enabled.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: PS3 hogging most of the bandwidth (or so it seems)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »

Set the priority for the PS3 to 50 and the PC to 128
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

Throwaway

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »

Thanks for the help!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:27 AM »

Let us know if that helps...it should.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

Throwaway

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »

It seems to help the connection some, but I still get higher latency when the ps3 is running.   I think it might just be that the actual internet is not too great, so it can't handle the two activities at once. 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »

Possible. Having 10/1 is good however might be bare minimum. I have 50/2 now  and having the extra 1Mb on the UP helps. I actually xfered a 300Mb file to my buddy via Yahoo chat while 2 xboxes were gaming. Didn't see anything bad. I presume the pings were moderate however gaming and the xfer was great.

What does your ISP offer in other speed packages? Any better speeds available?

Throwaway

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »

I'm pretty confident that my ISP is one of the worst.  I currently have 5/1 and am paying $60/mo for just internet.  They do not offer anything faster than that at this time.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »

:o Holy ISP Fees bat man. I pay the same cost here for 50/2. Wow. This the only ISP available in your area?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »

I'm wondering if you set the priority in reverse for the PS3 if this might help. Set your other devices to 50 and try 100 for the PS3.

Throwaway

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »

Not in my area, there is also comcast and verizon but they are both unavailable at my property.  I have called both and asked to make sure.  Ill try the other setting and let you know.

Throwaway

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »

Hmm.  It seems that configuration isn't working either. 

This is incorporating two other pcs in the apartment as well. Does the setup look correct?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 06:40:21 AM »

I would put the PCs all in one rule. So your Local IP address range would be 192.168.0.195 thru .197 for the one rule.

Throwaway

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »

OK, so its not just the ps3 now.  Whenever anyone is watching netflix on any device (ps3, laptop) my ping jumps up.  Thats why I set those 2 PCs on other rules.

Not sure if you need this info but the game is league of legends.  I usually sit at around 80-90ms normally, but with netflix on it goes up to 150-220ms.  It may not seem like much, but it is actually really annoying to have that .2s of latency in the game. 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 06:57:01 AM »

Test the priority at 1 and 10 and see how it goes. Set the video streaming devices to 200 and test. Any video streaming will cause some latency regardless.