Link-> FW Do's and Don'tsFirmware Myths and Misconceptions
It's been a misconception and belief that firmware fixes problems experienced by users and customers. And it's always been a belief that the latest and greatest should be always be kept up to date This maybe true however it depends on the condition of the problem and what the most current release of firmware actually changes. Just applying a firmware update to a problem that a user presumes they have, may only cover up the problem, cause another problem to be exhibited or do nothing to fix the problem. When Should I Perform a Firmware Update? ...And When Should I Pass?
If there is a feature addition or minor change to the firmware then by all means, review the changes and consider whether or not if effects the operation or if you really need the latest feature or not. In some cases, having the newest feature could be handing however might not be supported by your networking environment or ISP. Research into the firmware change log and history needs to be taking by users before considering updating as well. As a grain of salt to keep in the back of your mind, "If it works, don’t fix it!"Most Issues Are Due to Improper Device Configuration or User Error, NOT Outdated Firmware!
Most problems exhibited and experienced by users are 90-98% related to user configurations and or external environmental conditions and interferences. In most cases getting some basic information and doing some troubleshooting can easily identify and correct the problem and resolve the issue. These devices work well out of the box and that should be our expectations of DLink as users and customers of there products. Updating the firmware of a problematic device prior to performing methodical troubleshooting will only complicate matters, decreasing the likelihood of a quick fix.Help us help you!!!
We all need to identify the core problem and troubleshoot the problem first and foremost initially before considering applying a firmware update. It's highly recommended
for users and customers come to the forums with there product problems, ask questions and review this information and be willing to let other users help each other out in trouble shooting the problem first and help each other to resolve the issues. Be willing to provide details of your hardware, network setup, Internet Service provider and modem information and PC platform or device your using. If after exhausting our technical expertise, knowhow and troubleshooting efforts then as a last resort, by all means, upgrading firmware should be used. It's your device. However, let's find the real cause of the problem and try to resolve it first. Forums users are here to help each other with questions and suggestions to help resolve problems and to gain a better experience with DLink products.
Please follow this before upgrading Firmware: Router Troubleshooting Suggestions and TipsFirmware Update Steps
For those doing firmware updates on DLink routers, use the suggested following process:1.
Save the current routers configuration to file. Tools/System
. (Note that reloading this onto new major version of firmware can cause problems and thus is recommended to configure the router from scratch. Do not load the old configuration file from the old major version. If you're upgrading from minor to minor version, reloading of the configuration file shouldn't cause a problem.)***Use the following browsers only***: Internet Explorer or Fire Fox
. Chrome and other browsers may cause the FW download to become corrupt or may improperly handle the data causing the router to be come bricked.3rd Party Security Software Configurations
- Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC.
- Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC.
Factory reset the router using the routers web page Tools/System,
is easiest, or the back button.3.
Update the router using the routers web page Tools/System
using the .bin file(s) that was downloaded for your product model. The .bin files have to be unpacked from the .zip file. 4.
After the router as updated and status has reported it was successful on the routers web page. Perform one more Factory reset of the router using the routers web page Tools/System
After the router has reset and come back to ready, reload the saved configuration file or reconfigure the router from scratch. It's highly recommended to set up the router from scratch
if you are upgrading from v1.1x to v1.2x as this is a major change in FW and loading a saved configuration from file that was from a v1.1x save on to a v1.2x loaded FW has been known to cause some problems. Firmware files are posted on D-Links web site for routers. D-Links DGL-4500 Web Site
If you are wondering if you need to update your firmware due to a security risk, or something is not working correctly, ask first and describe what you are having issues with first. Remember, if it's not broke, don't update to the latest. Sometimes the latest is not always the greatest!!A list of all of the revisions that contains all of the updates:Firmware: 1.23NA
1. Added: More help description for Advanced DNS feature.
2. Added: Schedule feature supports 12 and 24 hour format.Firmware: 1.22NA
1. Fixed: Correct HNAP issue.
2. Fixed: DNS relay issue ( WAN Slowdown )
3. Added: Advanced DNS descriptionsFirmware: 1.21NA
1. Fixed: Configuring Access Control rules wirelessly cause router to reboot.
2. Fixed: UPnP issue.
3. Fixed: WINS Server field not be able to cleared by "Del" or "Back Space" key from Basic/Network in UI.
4. Changed: CAPTCHA disabled by default. (Users can enable from UI if desired)
5. Fixed: Potential security leak with CAPTCHA.
6. Fixed: Shareport issuesNote:
This firmware does not allow downgrading to pre-1.2x.Firmware: 1.20
1. New SharePort support PC/Mac (Requires New Utility Installed on PC or Mac to work)
2. Added CAPTCHA (Cryptographic Authentication)
3. Remove 3G feature (not a supported feature by North America ISP)
4. Support Advanced DNS.
5. Fixed cipher type default is TKIP and AES on wizard.
6. Fixed 802.11n only not support WPA-Enterprise TKIP.
7. Fixed schedule can´t select data that include space char.
8. Fixed can´t save space char.
9. Modify cipher type from TKIP to both.
10. Fixed wireless title error word string.
11. Fixed WPS does not support WEP-Shared KEY and WPA-Enterprise.
12.Fixed WAN disconnect or release Network Status still show Establishing (include DHCP/PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP).
13. Fixed the countdown = 40s when setting internet.
14. This firmware can not be downgraded to previous versions.
15. Support Mac Safari can display autograph pictures.
16. Support Schedule cannot over 24HR issue.
Note: This firmware does not allow downgrading to pre-1.2x. Please save your configuration file before the upgrade. After the upgrade, please reset to factory default, then upload the configuration file image.Firmware: 1.15
1. Fix Univision OLED bug.
2. Remove Enhanced IGMP Proxy GUI.
3. Add Routing page describe.
4. Fix Port Forwarding issue.Firmware: 1.13
1. Added SharePort
Note: Please download the SharePort Utility and see the SharePort manual before use.Firmware: 1.12
1. Fixed upgrade FW, lose mac address.
2. Prevents downgrade to 1.02.
3. Follow Wi-Fi Cerits. N only has HT40 mode.
4. MAC Address Filtering Fix.
5. Wireless Schedule ADD tab change to "Add Schedule".Firmware: 1.02
1. Updated OLED Display.
2. Improved Overall Stability.