• May 22, 2024, 09:21:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: yet another FTP post  (Read 13713 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: yet another FTP post
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 05:44:03 PM »

For passive mode ftp to work the ftp server must provide two things to the client - the public ip address of the server and the port to connect on, so in addition to specifying a port range that can be forwarded at the router you would also need a way for the DNS-323 to know the router's public address.

Theoretically - uPnP could be used both for the router to tell the DNS-323 it's public address and the DNS-323 to tell the router which port to forward - any codesmiths up to the challenge?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

DBDave

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »

Here's a screenshot from Filezilla, which is now working for me.  It overcomes the NAT issue by having a PASV settings screen, where it can automatically retrieve the external IP from filezilla's free service, as well as being able to specify what port range to use (which you then forward in your router).  Simple as that.

Omega7ven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »

No - I don't think your ISP is blocking a random port such as port 1026.

I'm really not inclined to repeat the hows and the whys of ftp another time - try searching this forumfor one of the other posts in which I have covered it.

Very briefly - when a non standard port is used, if the client is behind a NAT router, active ftp will fail because the client side firewall will block the data connection - you need to use passive ftp, which is not supported by the DNS-323.

I just noticed - my previous post has an omission - where I say the DNS-323 does not support ftp, the word passive was inadvertently omitted - passive ftp is not supported, only active ftp.

By the way - if your ISP blocks 21, it's probably because your TOS does not permit you to host an ftp server on that level of service.

Sorry if I am repeating something here but Dean you state that you tried using port 1026 instead of port 21.  Was that on your router or your DNS-323?

I had problems accessing mine and like you my ISP was blocking port 21.

I used a different port on my router (say 1026) and setup port forwarding on the router to send anything coming in on '1026' to the internal IP of my DNS-323 (say 192.168.0.123).
On my DNS-323 I kept the port settings at 21 still.

What I'm saying is don't change the port settings on the DNS-323 but use a different port for the router and have the router port forward it to the DNS-323.

With that I was able to access my DNS-323 using either Filezilla or the web browser and on passive.

If this has already been mentioned or you've tried that already sorry.  I hope you find a solution that works for you.   :-[

If this works... then HOORAY!   ;D

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 11:45:39 AM »

This device does not support passive FTP. What you want to do if you cannot use port 21 is change the FTP port on the DNS-323 to another port say 1025. the create a port forwarding rule for the DNS-323 to forward port 1025 to port 1025 and access you FTP at port 1025.

Note: If you leave the FTP port at port 21 and create and port forwarding rule and forward port 1025 to 21 you may run into an issue. Some routers will only forward the incoming port therefor the FTP traffic will still go out on port 21. Your FTP client will be waiting for FTP traffic on port 1025 so you will not receive the data.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream
Pages: 1 [2]