• April 26, 2024, 03:28:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: DNS-325 - Firmware Wishlist  (Read 467876 times)

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-325 - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 04:12:41 AM »

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent additions/changes are highlighted in blue. Items addressed on the latest firmware are striked out.

If any additional items in the list below were fixed by the firmware update, please post and I'll update!

[Thanks to xpmps for pulling together the initial list of changes]

• GUI - Streamlined web interface (overly large icons and clutter make for difficult navigation)
  • GUI - Themed GUI option (e.g. PC, MAC, Linux)
  • GUI - Spanish language translation is incomplete (e.g. mail notifications)
  • GUI - Control to change the default "Help" setting to "Hide" OR "Show" ("Hide": users must proactively click "?" to open help. "Show": Help is always visible)
  • General - Ability to configure the date format (e.g. YYYY-MM-DD)
  • GUI - Privileges in the folder properties screen are not clearly defined (see image: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/paintjc.png/)
  • General - Improve 3TB HDD support [FIXED!]
  • General - Services configured with DYNDNS DDNS directs to the local IP (192.168.x.x) and not the outside IP (i.e. ISP)
  • General - Concurrent spin-up of both HDDs for RAID 1 (to reduce access delay)
  • General - User customized reports (ability to select variables to report against)
  • General - Ability to send email notification to multiple email accounts
  • General - Documented and configurable UPS support
  • General - Time Machine OS X 10.7 Lion compatibility [FIXED!]
  • Backup - Add option in backup application to synchronize rather than backup
  • Backup - Add option to send status email for completed scheduled backups
  • Backup - Rsync backups not requiring Rsync daemon
  • Apps - Add more apps
  • Apps - Provide information and resources for third parties to develop applications
  • Apps - Add user friendly application to play multimedia from a PC
  • Apps - Application management via PC terminal or IOS Android
  • P2P - Ability to open a directory from Volume_1 or P2P and ability to show/hide
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:12:21 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

kipni

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 01:05:07 AM »

dlna : transcoding file to play on my sony TV
dlna : list files in alphabetical order

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 04:58:12 AM »

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent additions/changes are highlighted in blue. Items addressed on the latest firmware are striked out.

If any additional items in the list below were fixed by the firmware update, please post and I'll update!

• GUI - Streamlined web interface (overly large icons and clutter make for difficult navigation)
  • GUI - Control to change the default "Help" setting to "Hide" OR "Show" ("Hide": users must proactively click "?" to open help. "Show": Help is always visible)
  • GUI - Privileges in the folder properties screen are not clearly defined (see image: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/paintjc.png/)
  • General - Services configured with DYNDNS DDNS directs to the local IP (192.168.x.x) and not the outside IP (i.e. ISP)
  • General - User customized reports (ability to select variables to report against)
  • Apps - Add more apps
  • Apps - Provide information and resources for third parties to develop applications
  • DLNA - Ability to transcode files to play on Sony TV
  • DLNA - Ability to list files in alphabetical order
  • P2P - Ability to open a directory from Volume_1 or P2P and ability to show/hide

xpmps

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »

GUI - Privileges in the folder properties screen are not clearly defined (see image: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/paintjc.png/) <- It has been already solved with this latest version. The only thing is that the translation into Spanish is NOT available for these screens
1xDNS-325 2x2TB (Data and Backup)
1xCisco Linksys WAG320N
2x Sony VAIO
1x Philips TV 40PFL8605H/12

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:09 PM »

• GUI - Privileges in the folder properties screen are not clearly defined [FIXED!]
  • Apps - Add more apps
  • DLNA - Ability to list files in alphabetical order

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »

"DLNA - Ability to list files in alphabetical order" Isnt fixed in the beta code? I know its not listed but I think someone reported it was fixed in the 320 beta.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »

• GUI - Privileges in the folder properties screen are not clearly defined [FIXED!]
  • Apps - Add more apps
  • DLNA - Ability to list files in alphabetical order [FIXED!]

xpmps

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

Recording media ip camera images in your own NAS.
This is possible now? someone to get it?
record on the nas ip camera images?

...QNAP has that already ....
1xDNS-325 2x2TB (Data and Backup)
1xCisco Linksys WAG320N
2x Sony VAIO
1x Philips TV 40PFL8605H/12

msproson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »

"DLNA - Ability to list files in alphabetical order" Isnt fixed in the beta code? I know its not listed but I think someone reported it was fixed in the 320 beta.

I'm not sure I understand this. I'm just trying to STOP it listing in alphabetical order. I was going to add;

DLNA - Album listing should be in track# order (currently alphabetical)
DLNA - Playlist is resorted in alphabetical order (should list tracks in order they appear in the playlist)

Maybe the latest beta sorts this out - I will try to check tomorrow. I had to remove the beta because of another bug;

GUI - Can't amend Users (GUI sticks on Quota screen). I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but I don't think it's been raised here.

Mark

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »

I'm not sure I understand this. I'm just trying to STOP it listing in alphabetical order. I was going to add;

DLNA - Album listing should be in track# order (currently alphabetical)
DLNA - Playlist is resorted in alphabetical order (should list tracks in order they appear in the playlist)

Maybe the latest beta sorts this out - I will try to check tomorrow. I had to remove the beta because of another bug;

GUI - Can't amend Users (GUI sticks on Quota screen). I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but I don't think it's been raised here.

Mark

After you try out the new beta, let me know if these issues are still valid and I'll include them in our master list.

msproson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »

Thanks - just uploaded the latest beta. The issue with amending users is fixed, sorry for the confusion.

But the two DLNA issues are still there, and still driving me nuts. Here's an example; I've ripped a CD with five tracks, with titles as follows;

1. Kyrie
2. Gloria
3. Credo
4. Sanctus
5. Agnus Dei

If I browse the album I see Agnus Dei first, then Credo...

If I create a playlist (with mp3tag) which contains Kyrie and Gloria in that order, and then view the playlist from the dlna client, it correctly shows just two files, but it still puts Gloria before Kyrie.

Mark

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 02:32:52 PM »

If any additional items in the list below were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

• Apps - Add more apps
  • DLNA - Album listing should be in track# order (currently alphabetical)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:27:42 AM by JavaLawyer »

msproson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 02:09:51 AM »

Thanks for adding my DLNA request. Could you also add "Playlists should not be re-ordered" please?

I've installed minidlna on a local server to confirm that it's not my client that's at fault here. minidlna shows albums in track order, and playlists in playlist order, as I'd expect.

Personally I would also like to see the Genre and Artist views with subdirectories for each album (perhaps with an "All Tracks" subdirectory as well). If you have a big collection it's pretty useless to get a list of all tracks in the "rock" genre, you're far more likely to be searching for an album you want to play. This may be a big feature to ask for at beta stage though.

Cheers,
Mark

priitv8

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 01:05:52 AM »

Here are my favourite additions to the DNS-325 functionality:

1. S.M.A.R.T. test: possibility to create multiple schedules (e.g. Quick daily, Extended weekly)
2. iTunes server to do home sharing, if at all possible (not proprietary technology or legal issues with Apple?). Net result would be the ability to see&share all media + playlists categorised by media kind (movie, tv show, music, audiobook etc) in NAS share.
3. Possibility to rename NAS volume(s) (just can't stand the "Volume_1")
4. Possibility to format single drive as RAID1. How else would it be possible to migrate Standard setup to RAID1 w/o data loss?
Perhaps after formatting RAID1 with single drive system could be in the state of one faulty drive?
5. Make the NAS more Mac OS X friendly. OS X might discover and mount the NAS as AFP share, instead of a SMB share as it does now. This might be due to wrong advertisement of _afpovertcp/_adisk services in Bonjour. For example the current beta firmware advertises some services on Bonjour completely wrong. As a reference, I've included Airport Extreme's service announcements for comparison. I assume the Airport advertises it's services over Bonjour correctly, as it performs flawlessly in concert with OS X:

Code: [Select]
(as seen through Bonjour Browser)

> Workgroup Manager (_workstation._tcp.) - 1   <- shouldn't it be _adisk._tcp. (Automatic Disk Discovery)?
   > HomeNAS [1c:7e:e5:cc:be:16]
   Can't resolve link-local name
   192.168.0.99:9                                              <- TXT record missing, if it is _adisk._tcp.

> _adisk._tcp. - 1
   > Airport
   [fe80::216:cbff:fec1:a5ea]:9
   192.168.0.2:9
   169.254.68.29:9
   sys=waMA=00:16:CB:C1:A5:EA,SMBw=varikud,adVF=0x1014
   dk0=adVF=0x1017,adVN=TimeMachine,adVU=a23dd04f-f59d-5755-813c-bd5e759e1d61
   dk1=adVF=0x1017,adVN=AirDisk,adVU=4c0e4d03-9c90-5662-8190-e7e01340ab5c

>HTTP (_http._tcp.) - 3
  >homenas (2)                        <- this is DAAP advertised as HTTP!
   192.168.0.99:3668
   txtvers=1
   Database ID=54429BB0
   Machine ID=54429BB0
   Machine Name=homenas      <- why all-lowercase? This also appears in iTunes as share name
   mtd-version=svn-1696
   iTSh Version=131073
   Version=196610
   Password=false
   ffid=18f6a6a7
   >HomeNAS
   192.168.0.99:80

>iTunes Music Sharing (_daap._tcp.) - 1
   >homenas
   192.168.0.99:3668
   txtvers=1
   Database ID=54429BB0
   Machine ID=54429BB0
   Machine Name=homenas
   mtd-version=svn-1696
   iTSh Version=131073
   Version=196610
   Password=false
   ffid=18f6a6a7

>Samba (_smb._tcp.) - 3
  >Airport
  [fe80::216:cbff:fec1:a5ea]:445
  192.168.0.2:445
  169.254.68.29:445
   netbios=Airport
   >HomeNAS
   192.168.0.99:445             <- no NetBIOS name?

6. DLNA server to support more video formats (was already mentioned in conjunction with SONY TV-s), with transcoding, if possible. Although Sony BRAVIA DLNA is supposed to support MPEG-2 and AVCHD (H.264), the DNS-325 currently serves only MPEG-2 files in MPEG-PS container (.mpg, .mpeg) over DLNA. .mp4, .m4v and .m2ts files are simply ignored.

7. Add IPv6 support.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:19:09 AM by priitv8 »

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 04:35:10 AM »

. . . .

4. Possibility to format single drive as RAID1. How else would it be possible to migrate Standard setup to RAID1 w/o data loss?
Perhaps after formatting RAID1 with single drive system could be in the state of one faulty drive?

I believe this feature is already available (although not clearly documented).
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=41180.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25