• April 24, 2024, 09:26:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Hard Drive not formatting  (Read 10838 times)

Paul_1712

• Level 1 Member
Hard Drive not formatting
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:52:42 PM »

Hi

One of the hard drives refuses to format in the NAS unit, here's what I've tried...

I have 2 x WD Caviar Green 2TB drives. I put the first one in the left slot and it formatted without any problems, I then copied the contents of my other WD 2TB drive that was inside my PC onto the NAS drive. So far so good... Then i took the hard drive out the PC and slotted it into the Right slot. the NAS picked up the drive but when i select Disk Management and try to format the drive it just sits on 0% for hours. I've tried formatting the drive in the PC again but still no luck.

Sorry for the long explanation but i hope someone can help

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Hard Drive not formatting
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:33:44 PM »

Did you try re-seating the HDD in the PC and deleting the partition(s) before placing the drive in the DNS-320?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Paul_1712

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »

1st time i just put it in the NAS as it was, then i put it back in the PC and did a quick format and tried again, then i deleted the partition and left the drive un-allocated, tried again, finally allocated drive letter and did full format in PC which took about 2 hours. tried in the NAS again but still no luck even though blue light for the right drive is lit. if i swapped the drives around would it format both drives?

l3xx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »

Same problem here, but I got it solved.

First, take out the NAS first drive with all your data (its safer and also the only way to make it work). Then put in the new one and power on your NAS. It will detect this disk and allow you to format it.

After formatting, shut down the NAS and put inside the other disk. It will become Volume_2 while the disk with your data will be Volume_2. It doesnt matters where you put it (L or R slot), it will be always Volume_2.

Now the will work as two separate units.

PD. If NAS have trouble detecting disk try to turn it on without disk an insert them after it completely boots.

Paul_1712

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »

Thank you will try that

Ang3l3ye5

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »

Same problem here, but I got it solved.

First, take out the NAS first drive with all your data (its safer and also the only way to make it work). Then put in the new one and power on your NAS. It will detect this disk and allow you to format it.

After formatting, shut down the NAS and put inside the other disk. It will become Volume_2 while the disk with your data will be Volume_2. It doesnt matters where you put it (L or R slot), it will be always Volume_2.

Now the will work as two separate units.

PD. If NAS have trouble detecting disk try to turn it on without disk an insert them after it completely boots.

Thanks for posting this, I was completely stumped with the same problem, just wanted to add a 2nd HDD to my existing 2TB HDD in the NAS which has worked fine since day 1, no install issues, just wanted a standard volume as the NAS is backup for a media server PC, so that should a drive fail in my media server I can replace it an restore from my NAS or vice versa, tried adding a 2nd 2TB HDD to  my DNS-320 as a 2nd standard volume for extra storage, and ended up with the stuck trying tp format problem described, in my desperation I started reading posts here on the forums in hope of finding even a hint of how to resolve it...

I followed the steps you posted above, and voila worked a charm, simple, easy to follow, and took mere minutes.......... compared to the 2 days trying various things and scrutinising every page of the 2 different manual versions I've found for the DNS-320...

Thank You so much for posting your solution.. ;) :)

Just to confirm, I took out the original HDD from slot 1, inserted the new HDD in slot 2 and re-started the NAS, waited til it ha fully booted (solid blue power LED, orange HDD2 LED), ran the setup wizard again, followed the steps through and this time it fully formatted the new HDD, once completed, powered down the NAS, opened it up again & re-installed the original HDD back into it's original slot, then re-started the NAS waite for it to complete booting (all LED's solid blue now :)) checke on the PC and system see's both HDD's, an even still see's the original Volume 1 as Volume 1, and the new HDD as Volume 2...perfect.

Now why couldn't D-Link have put that in their manuals..????

Thanks again l3xx