• April 24, 2024, 03:46:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: [Solved] Repairing existing permissions problems on OS X  (Read 2425 times)

kentsor

• Level 1 Member
[Solved] Repairing existing permissions problems on OS X
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »

I have a large number of folders with items that have "custom permissions" when I do  get Info

I have installed fun_plug successfully, telnet works, and I have applied the patch to smb.conf that gives 777 permissions to all new files that I copy to the drive ( "http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11331.msg93163#msg93163" ). This works.

The problem is all the existing files that are on there. I need to modify the permissions on those folders and the items there in, and I can't work out how to do that.

I have tried modifying the permissions on a file deep inside one such folder
chmod 777 filename
chown myname:users filename

and after doing that it looks right in ls -la, but I still can't delete the item in the Finder. That leads me to believe I need to recursively modify the entire folder tree.

Can someone suggest a magic incantation to utter to accomplish this ?

Thanks
Kent

Updated: it seems that the problem is the owner and group on the folders. I did

chown -R myname:users badfolder

then everything works properly
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:46:15 PM by kentsor »

jeffkos

• Level 1 Member
Re: [Solved] Repairing existing permissions problems on OS X
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »

Hi kentsor,
I'm hoping you can maybe help me, as your post here is exactly my issue. Problem is, I'm so ignorant when it comes to command-line stuff I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to enter for myname and users in your line below (I do at lest know what to enter for badfolder). Any chance you'd hold my hand through this? Thanks!