• April 18, 2024, 10:31:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 802.11a on the DAP 1522 - suitable alternative to 802.11n?  (Read 2898 times)

zgates420

• Level 1 Member
802.11a on the DAP 1522 - suitable alternative to 802.11n?
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:49:29 PM »

I have a DAP 1522 set in bridge mode from D-Link DIR-815 Dual Band router.  I have been unsuccessful getting the DAP to accept a wireless n signal in either 2.4ghz or 5ghz mode.  Either time, it will connect and work just fine for about 2 minutes then I will remain connected to the network according to the DAP's web interface, but I lose all internet capability and the ability to bring up the DIR-815's web interface.  Essentially I lose connection to the network even though the DAP's interface tells me I am still connected.  If I am patient, after another couple minutes it will work again.  This is however very impractical.  I am able to get the 2.4ghz band to work when set to b/g broadcast, and I am able to get the 5ghz to work on 802.11a broadcast, but any time I introduce n, either n only or n mixed, I suffer from the connection problem.  Right now I am using the 2.4ghz for laptops in the house and 5ghz on 802.11a to my DAP for my ps3/xbox360 and PC.  I like the 5ghz because it prevents interference from the cordless phone downstairs and my roommates using the microwave.  I have however been unsuccessful in searching the internet on whether or net the wireless a standard is good for online gaming.  With wireless n recently making wireless connections to gaming consoles very popular, I am not quite sure if wireless a just never caught on or if it is enough of a lower quality standard to impact my gaming.  I am aware that wireless a has much less throughput than wireless n but this is not an issue for me.  My question: is wireless a as reliable for online gaming as wireless n?  My signal strength for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks both sits around 80%, so signal strength is not an issue.

jerry6

• Level 2 Member
Re: 802.11a on the DAP 1522 - suitable alternative to 802.11n?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »

wireless A is 54 on 5Ghz, wireless N is 5 Ghz up to 300Mbps A 5Ghz is equal to G 2.4Ghz , just with less interference because it is on 5 Ghz  band .So yes it is as reliable , but less range than 2.4 Ghz band