• May 23, 2024, 02:10:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: S-L-O-W printing: DPR-1260 to Epson R1900  (Read 16426 times)

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: S-L-O-W printing: DPR-1260 to Epson R1900
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »

My guess is data throughput via wireless. 54mbps real data rate of like 22 mbps, so a 4 meg file in hi-res is going to take a minute.

I'd hardwire it if you can.

kvon

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »

I do appreciate the input, but if I have to hard-wire it, it completely defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.  I would just run a USB cable & take the print server out of the loop.

I'm a little skeptical of attributing it to simple throughput overload.  I may be wrong on these numbers(?) but I'm thinking 54mbps (b=bits?) is 6.75 MB/sec, or 405 MB/min.  Like I said earlier, one photo I printed took well in excess of 20 minutes to print.  Don't recall the exact file size that was sent to the printer, but they usually run 15-20MB.  So a 20 minute print time for a file that size really suggests to me a malfunction of some sort.

Here's another clue that may or may not be significant...  When it's in super-slow wireless mode, the pattern is that the print head can be heard to make a single pass over the paper and back, and then it will sit there for way too long, like 10-15 sec before starting the next pass.  When it's working properly (through the USB cable), there is no delay at all between consecutive passes of the print head.

It may be that this combination (printer & print server) just isn't compatible, and truthfully, that was a calculated risk I took when I chose this model print server.  Seemed like a good risk though, because the R1800 (the predecessor to my printer) is on the published compatibility list.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »

Are you running in RAW or LPR? Also the DPR is passthrough, there is no memory on it, so if your printer lacks an onboard pool flash ram, then the data would have to stream, wait for the printer to process it and then print.
I'm still blaming poor throughput. Here's a test. Hook a computer to the ethernet port of the DPR and test the throughput.

kvon

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »

Already did that, there's no delay when it runs through an ethernet cable.  (see post #5 in this thread).  I think that disproves the throughput theory...?

kvon

problem solved!!
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 06:29:43 AM »

Egg on my face, but good lesson learned...  It was the phone!  Had the print server and the cordless phone base unit right next to each other, like 3 inches apart.  Read in the manual that this was a no-no (it wouldn't have occurred to me otherwise), so I powered the phone down, and voila!  I did some minor rearranging, and now have them about 4½ feet apart - seems to be working fine.  (FWIW - the manual specifies 2.4GHz phones as being the trouble makers, mine is a 1.93GHz, but close enough obviously).

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 08:50:48 AM »

Kvon, what i mean was hook a COMPUTER to the ethernet port and leave the DPR connected to the router wirelessly, this would allow you to speed test the connection between the DPR and the router.
NOT the PC to the printer.

Also NICE find, that'll do it every time.

Pages: 1 [2]