• April 16, 2024, 09:57:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't save settings, Wireless Init Failed  (Read 6710 times)

larrifax

• Level 1 Member
Can't save settings, Wireless Init Failed
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:09:43 AM »

Hello,

Yesterday I bought myself a brand new DIR-655 version A4 to replace my old Linksys router.
At first, everything seemed to work as normal. I could save my configurations and Wifi seemed to work.
Then, when I tried upgrading the firmware from 1.20 to 1.21, all went wrong.

The upgrade went as normal but when I tried to recover my settings after the upgrade, something seems to have failed. The settings never got recovered, and the router started to reboot everytime I tried to save some settings (without saving them, of course). In addition, the Wifi is not working, it just says "Wireless init failed".

I've tried to reflash the firmware to 1.20 and 1.21 (both the US, Europe and WW versions) countless times, but that does not seem to work. After trying to flash the firmware to for example the 1.20US-version, the router still says 1.21EU on the status page.

I've also tried to reset the settings to factory defaults, both through the router gui and by pushing the reset-button on the backside of the router.

So, now I'm stuck with a brand new router that is not working at all.
Does anyone, by chance, have a solution to these problems?
I've tried searching the forum, but no one seems to have problems with the "firmware not updating"-problem.

lundster

• Level 1 Member
Re: Can't save settings, Wireless Init Failed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:46:15 AM »

Just had the same problem, 1.21EU screwed my A2 version of D-Link DIR-655.
After around 20 resets i actually could save settings for 2 days without any problems.
Today i had problems with no internet connection at all, so i uploaded back to 1.20 firmware(WIRED) and it totally "destroyed" my D-Link DIR-655. I can't make any connection to the router anymore, not even a local connection. It just retries forever.....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:00:07 AM by lundster »

Orion

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »

I can confirm that there are problems with saving settings. I picked up a brand new A4 Firmware 1.21 to put in small office 3-5 users (wireless disabled for the moment). At the start of configuring the router it took configuration changes but then began to reboot without saving any of the changes made (tested from 3 computers both Firefox and IE). I later did some testing on it by reflashing with the latest 1.21 from the website which had a slightly newer date (I think a couple of weeks) on the status page and it seemed a bit more stable, but at this point I felt I could not trust the device and it might be a hardware issue. I did not try the new beta.

I am a consultant and returned the router since I could not continue troubleshooting the problem at the client's expense. I have installed a number of the devices preA4 and own an A3 myself and this is the first time I have seen this problem.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »

Hi All,

D-Link has different Firmware versions for its D-Link DI-624 Hardware Revision Routers. I believe it is time to branch off the Firmware versions for the D-Link DIR-655 Routers also.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »

I hope you uses a wired connection to do the firmware updating...? Wireless updating can corrupt uploaded firmware and it is strongly advised to use a wired connection. If you did use wireless and messed up, please switch to wired updating.

Also, reloading saved settings is not always a good thing to do (changed bits and memory spaces). Best is to manually reconfigure. Try setting all settings back to default and reload with the 1.21 beta firmware.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

lundster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »

Strangely DIR-655 worked now until i changed settings to my everday settings.
The leds lights as they should for 5 sec, and then suddnely all the leds lights up.
Seems like the router is restarting? each 5 sec?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:59:50 AM by lundster »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »

Strangely DIR-655 worked now until i changed settings to my everday settings.
The leds lights as they should for 5 sec, and then suddnely all the leds lights up.
Seems like the router is restarting? each 5 sec?

Disconnect de router from power when it is active. Wait 30 sec and plug it in again. See what happens.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

lundster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 10:39:49 AM »

Same happens, even after 30 minutes.

bigbuzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »

I'm not sure if the router would reboot on me, but I did have a similar problem when I updated firmware to 1.21; the router would never save any changes.  Here is a copy of my post from a few months ago - I hope this helps:

Based on other posts in this forum, I reset the router to defaults and then 1) disabled auto uplink speed detect in the QoS section and 2) disabled DNS Relay.  Now I can save settings (and was also able to down-rev the firmware to 1.20).  I didn't try one thing at a time (it was already late at night), so I don't know if only changing only 1 thing would make a difference.  I did note that before I made the settings changes, every time I tried to save settings the router management web page would go to a "detecting gateway performance" (or something like that) page - when it evetually returned to a router configuration page (or login page), the new settings would not have been saved.

- BigBuzz

lundster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 04:15:49 PM »

So i sent the router to repair, got a new one today. Finally the router stops restarting but i still have the issue i had some weeks ago. I can't save any settings. :< I'll try the auto-detect and DNS relay.