Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Request of new category or forum for DIR-815  (Read 12375 times)
karlegas
Level 1 Member

« on: November 08, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »

I did not found where put this request so I publish here.

I bought a Dlink DIR-815 the firmware version is 1.0 and not see any info in D-linlk support site inclusive the original firmware is not there.

So I request to create a new forum topic for this hardware, I am replacing a DGL-4500 with this brand new model and we need other users have a good place to share info.

Thanks

Karl
bikester
Level 1 Member

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:28:06 PM »

I second that! Finding any help for the 815 has been a pain in the butt! We need a forum for it
Tasitch
Level 1 Member

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »

Same feeling here. Got this router a few days ago, liking it, but have some questions and wonder about firmware revisions. Needs a forum!
billwallace216
Level 1 Member

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »

Still no forum setup yet. They must be working on more important things...

I have a number of issues with the DIR-815, but nothing compared to D-Links dismal support..
The DIR-815 seems to slow down, and needs to be rebooted to get it to work properly. It's even slower than the one it replaced (Linksys wireless G 2.4 GHz).
I checked the support site to see if there is a newer version of firmware, but the site does not list the DIR-815 (must be too new..). I thought I would give the support line a call. There is no number for Canada (it doesn't seem worth the effort of setting up a support number for 30 million people..). So I tried sending an e-mail. Once I'd typed out a specific request, outlining what I had found and politely ask for a response, I was told I had to pick a category for my e-mail from the dropdown list, which does not contain any items for the DIR-815, and therefore cannot be sent....Good work guys.

Other "features" of the router I find a little confusing.
1. When setting up a schedule (for web access etc.) you can specify the days of the week to use. Once this is done I went to check what weekday the router thinks it is, but alas it does know, or at least it is going to tell me..
2. When setting up the firewall settings I was excited to see the comment (right hand tab) which told me to see the examples in the manual. Alas, there are none...
3. I tried to setup a way of block the internet access from between 17:00 & 19:00, so my kids can do their homework. If I could use wild cars to specify www.* I would be done in a minute, but it seem to require the URL of each site that is made available or blocked to be specified. The Lynksys setting was a lot easier to do..

My plan for the weekend is to put the old Linksys back in. It works way better than this piece of ....

Good Luck Everybody! You're going to need it without support with a half finished product.

smlunatick
Level 5 Member

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »

What can you expect?  The fourms are still "labeled" BETA.

alfonsoB
Level 1 Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:56:24 AM »

Agreed - DIR-815 owners deserve their own space to
work in.

Alfonso Bedoya
1904-1957 RIP
CaptainTerrible
Level 1 Member

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »

There are so many issues with this router that it needs more than one forum.

Can't get OpenDNS to work with it.
Can't get my DynDns account to work with it.  My account is more than 16 characters - the router only allows 16 characters (presumably because dlinks DNS service has that limit).
Port forwarding wouldn't work with my linux box.  Havent bothered to try with a windows PC yet.
5ghz band is stable for maybe 10 minutes at most before I need to reboot the router.  Then connections drop and cannot reconnect.  The whole time the 2.4 band is unaffected.

Far more issues that I could list.  Not bothering to wait until the firmware is upgraded or Dlink responds.  Am taking the router back tomorrow and switching to a competing product.
dtsman
Level 1 Member

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

hello
We really need an DIR815 forum topic, because are lot of problems with this device. I just compare with DIR615 and what we see? Half speed connection, very bad mediastreaming. For me connection with mediaplayer with D-LINK DWA 131 adapter, and two DELL laptop is half performance of DIR615, one of USB adapter is seeing like G (but it is an REALTEK 8192U N, 300mps) and so.... On net found same problem for others DIR815 owners, http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3923, http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1634128-link-dir-815-range-issue-wrt54g-as-an-extender/, http://www.dlinkforum.ro/index.php?topic=190.0. I have tried original firmware, and firmware 1.01b2, 1.01b3, 1.01b6 and no better results. Ask help fom D-LINK team and receive answer that it is working for a new firmware, but when that will be done...? The situation is frustrating and no explination for lower performance
FurryNutz
Poweruser
  ▲
▲ ▲

D-Link Global Forum Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »

To All:
What ISP service do you have? DSL or Cable?
What ISP modem do you have? Stand alone or does it have a built in router?
If DSL, it's preferred to bridge the modem to the 815 router. Having two routers on the same line can cause connection issues.

How are you connecting to the 815? Wired or wireless.
What happens with single mode G at 2.4Ghz only. What happens with single mode N at 2.4Ghz only. What happens with N mode at 5Ghz only. Test these modes out.

Is QoS set up? Disable to test.
Is Firewall set up? Try using Endpoint Independent for both TCP and UDP.

Does the router work with ISP DNS first off?
Ensure Primary and 2ndary DNS ip addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/manual
Ensure DNS relay is enabled. Once you verify ISP DNS, then try other DNS. ISP DNS is preferred.

Turn off WiFi Protected Setup.
Disable Short GI.

Settings to play with to see if they effect anything: uPnP, Enable Multicast Streams, Wireless Enchanced Mode.

It's recommended to set all devices for static IP reservation on the router and auto obtain IP address on the devices...ease of managing and they all have there own IP addresses that don't change.

Cable:50mb/3Mb>Motorola SB6180>DGL-5500>HP 24pt Gb Switch. 3x4500s,DGL-5500,DIR-857,835,827,880L,868L,865L,826L,810L,685,657,3x655,645,601,DNS-345,DCS-933L and a Boxee.
Go Here>Router Troubleshooting
dtsman
Level 1 Member

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »

I just try all setting that are indicated but no better results. ISP cable, PPPOE, wireless connection, ip obtain automatic. No more 137 mbps on media player (IAMM NTD29 with D-LINK DWA131 adaptor), 65 mbps on DELL STUDIO 1754 laptop(ATHEROS AR9285 wireless card), 54mbps(laptop DELL LATITUDE with usb adaptor REALTEK 8192U - router indicated as G device). With D-LINK DIR615  all the devices are connected with double speed. As I say I try original and beta firmware (1.01B02, B03, B06). The answer "the device is new and it is necessary more time to find an solution" I do not feel convincing enough. We just bought an product that is promoted as connecting to 300 mbps. Again I say DIR615 have better features.
FurryNutz
Poweruser
  ▲
▲ ▲

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:52:08 AM »

Seems like your speeds you are seeing are correct and what the devices are supporting, not the router. Those are good speeds. Not sure what your trying to do here. Your statement is somewhat confusing.
Did you set up static IP addresses in the router for all of your devices?
Are you using QoS?
Can you answer some of the other questions presented to you?

I just try all setting that are indicated but no better results. ISP cable, PPPOE, wireless connection, ip obtain automatic. No more 137 mbps on media player (IAMM NTD29 with D-LINK DWA131 adaptor), 65 mbps on DELL STUDIO 1754 laptop(ATHEROS AR9285 wireless card), 54mbps(laptop DELL LATITUDE with usb adaptor REALTEK 8192U - router indicated as G device). With D-LINK DIR615  all the devices are connected with double speed. As I say I try original and beta firmware (1.01B02, B03, B06). The answer "the device is new and it is necessary more time to find an solution" I do not feel convincing enough. We just bought an product that is promoted as connecting to 300 mbps. Again I say DIR615 have better features.

Cable:50mb/3Mb>Motorola SB6180>DGL-5500>HP 24pt Gb Switch. 3x4500s,DGL-5500,DIR-857,835,827,880L,868L,865L,826L,810L,685,657,3x655,645,601,DNS-345,DCS-933L and a Boxee.
dtsman
Level 1 Member

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »

OK. Let’s begin with some specifications. I just compare two D-LINK routers speed connection: DIR615 and DIR815. All the devices are in same room. The results are these
                                                       DIR615                                                    DIR815                       
                                                       speed indicated                                 speed indicated
                                                       on device             on router                on device             on router
MP IAMM NTD29                                                               
usb wireless adapter DWA131   286,1 mbps   271 mbps   137,8 mbps   244 mbps
Laptop DELL STUDIO 1745
wireless card ATHEROS AR9285   150 mbps   150 mbps   65 mbps                 65 mbps
Laptop DELL LATITUDE C640
usb wireless adapter REALTEK 8192U   120 mbps   271 mbps   65 mbps                 54 mbps -                                                                                                                         indicated as G device

wireless security mode WPA/WPA2, AES, Mode N only, 20/40 Gz. These are differences between router and devices indicated speed connections. Problem is worse when I want to make media streaming from laptop to media player, or when I want to use Internet services on media player, with DIR-815.  I have an cable internet connection (PPPOE) and I use wireless connection from router to devices.  I try all kind of settings, even the settings you and others suggested. I do not understand why are these results. I use different firmware also and no better results. I use the settings I just receive from D-LINK teams and finally I just wait a new firmware. If you are right when you say “your speeds you are seeing are correct and what the devices are supporting, not the router”, why in case of DIR615 the speed connection are double, these are same devices… From an another D- LINK forum I receive something like…”the product it is new and the problem was report to Taiwan but nobody can resolve by night.”  And… that is my fault? I just ask an honest answer… “you are dummy and don’t know to set up the router, your router is fault and must be replace, or these are real features… and could not be more than.....”
Thank for your kindness
FurryNutz
Poweruser
  ▲
▲ ▲

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 11:29:10 AM »

Any chance you can re-edit your post to make it fix in the box?

dtsman
Level 1 Member

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 12:57:17 AM »

OK. Let’s begin with some specifications.
I just compare two D-LINK routers speed connection: DIR615 and DIR815.
All the devices are in same room. The results are these
                                                          DIR615                  DIR815                       
                                                    speed indicated          speed indicated
                                                 on device  on router      on device    on router
MP IAMM NTD29                                                               
usb wireless adapter DWA131         286,1 mbps   271 mbps    137,8 mbps   244 mbps
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laptop DELL STUDIO 1745
wireless card ATHEROS AR9285        150 mbps    150 mbps      65 mbps      65 mbps
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laptop DELL LATITUDE C640
usb wireless adapter REALTEK 8192U  120 mbps    171 mbps     65 mbps      54 mbps
                                                                                                  (indicated as G device)
settings -wireless security mode WPA/WPA2, AES, Mode N only, 20/40 Gz.
These are differences between routers and devices indicated speed connections.
Problem is worse when I want to make media streaming from laptop to media player,
or when I want to use Internet services on media player, with DIR-815.
I have an cable internet connection (PPPOE) and I use wireless connection from router to devices.
I try all kind of settings, even the settings you and others suggested.
I do not understand why are these results. I use different firmware also and no better results.
I use the settings I just receive from D-LINK teams and finally I just wait a new firmware.
If you are right when you say “your speeds you are seeing are correct and what the devices
are supporting, not the router”,
why in case of DIR615 the speed connection are double, these are same devices…
From an another D- LINK forum I receive something like…
”the product it is new and the problem was report to Taiwan but nobody can resolve by night.”
I just ask an honest answer… “you are dummy and don’t know to set up the DIR815 router,
your router is fault and must be replace,
or these are real features… and could not be more than.....”
Thank for your kindness.
FurryNutz
Poweruser
  ▲
▲ ▲

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 06:54:20 AM »

Question would be, how are you connecting to the routers? Wired or wireless? Both? Try both connections?
What wireless modes are you using? Mixed, single? Try testing Single mode G and single mode n @2.4Ghz?
How are you testing the speeds, Internally using file xfer between 2 PCs? Externally from a speed test site?
Is QoS enabled? Try disabling all QoS/traffic shapping options?
Testing with the latest FW?
Ensure ALL other devices are turned off and testing one devices with a router at a time?
Any cordless phones in the house?
Other WiFi routers near by?

After all this and you still feel that the 815 isn't performing, I would submit your results to the moderators on here and call up DLink send them results as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by webtechnica.com.