• July 27, 2024, 06:17:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless Slow Only When Downloading from Internet, not LAN  (Read 3368 times)

whchapman

• Level 1 Member

I have a new DIR-615 router and two computers: a desktop, and a laptop. The desktop is connected with an ethernet cable. The laptop has a wireless G card.

When I download a large file from the Internet to my Desktop, the transfer speed is 1.1 MB/s.

When I download a large file from the Internet to my Laptop, the transfer speed is 370 KB/s.

When I transfer a file directly from my Desktop to my Laptop, the transfer speed is 2.2 MB/s. (Running WAMP on the Desktop, Firefox Browser on the laptop.)

I have disabled all AV/Firewall software for these tests. I also use this laptop on my University campus where I can download at 1.5 MB/s, so I know there is nothing in the Laptop limiting my transfer speed.

Any ideas why my Wireless Internet downloads are so slow?

Note 1: All transfer speeds posted above are in megabytes, not megabits.

Note 2: I have disabled Wan Traffic Shaping under the QOS Settings. This did not have any effect.

kukubau

• Level 2 Member
Re: Wireless Slow Only When Downloading from Internet, not LAN
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:55:50 AM »

You might consider changing the laptop G card with a better one or a N card. The N protocol makes a big difference.

whchapman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »

Thank you for the reply. But given the unusual nature of the problem, I'm having problems justifying the expense. Shouldn't I be able to get the same bandwidth out of Wireless G regardless of where the packets originate?

whchapman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:30:57 AM »

I still have not resolved this problem. However, I have discovered that the problem goes away when I open multiple TCP connections. By downloading several files at the same time, I can get up to 1.1 MB/s (the speed of my internet connection).

Does this give anyone any ideas?

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 02:00:59 PM »

Go ADVANCED > QoS Engine and uncheck both boxes, save settings and see if that makes a change.