• April 27, 2024, 05:03:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What to do now?? Not a happy customer  (Read 6006 times)

done and done

• Level 1 Member
What to do now?? Not a happy customer
« on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:13 PM »

I purchased this DIR 615 from BestBuy back in OCT to hook up my laptop and PS3 wirelessly and have an Xbox360 hardwired. I have a HW rev. C1 and had firmware 3.10 preloaded, I updated to fw ver. 3.11 right when i got home. It would last/stay connected for maybe 2 days if i was lucky, now last week I updated to the latest firmware 3.12 stating that it would fix the DHCP server numbers and the wireless drops. Well.... it's not fixed by any means, it has become more unstable than before. I have had to reset/power cycle 3 times tonight, I have reverted back to factory default and ran the wizards again thinking this may fix the problem, it has crashed 30 mins. after so. When it loses it connection all the lights stay on as being connected, at this point I can't even connect to the router hardwired trying to access it (192.168.0.1) on port 1 wired to my laptop. I'm at my wits end with this "P.O.S" router, I thought i was upgrading from a DI 604 which was rock solid for yrs but obviously Dlinks "QA & QC" has gone down the drains to let this problem persist. This is unacceptable from a consumers point of view. I have read the forums through and through, I have tried all the "fixes" that everyone has mentioned on these forums the past few weeks (thank you very much by the way to all who contributed) but this has not fixed or rectified the situation :'(. The last thing i haven't tried is using the 615 as an access point which defeats the purpose of buying a new router. If the 615 crashes like it always has since i have owned it, whats the use then if it can't stay connected.

Notes: purchased 615 back in OCT 09 at BestBuy, my 90 days are up for a return..... so now what?

All i ask and everyone on these forums are asking is for a reliable, working piece of networking equipment that D Link has been known for........ slowly losing faith in D Link and their products.

D LINK! as a corporate company, fix this! It's becoming an embarrassment on your behalf and ruining your "networking hardware" image. If firmware can't fix this problem I would do a hardware recall.

UNACCEPTABLE!

Andy_NY

• Level 1 Member
Re: What to do now?? Not a happy customer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »

I agree Dlink has been a huge disappointment.  I really like the wireless range ability of this router, but its function due to lousy firmware has been terrible.

I have had nothing but trouble with my DIR615 ver C since I got in about 13 months ago. But finally, for me, rev 3.12NA seemed to fix my problems.  No more dropped wireless connections, no DHCP address acquisition issues and my voip phone will register and stay registered behind the router.

A couple things you may want to try. I did these well before I upgraded to 3.12 and it seemed to help connection issues...

Disable auto channel scan and find a clean channel to set it to.  I used a free download of inSSIDer to pick the clearest channel... "http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Make sure Channel Width is set to Auto 20/40 (mine for some reason was not on Auto)

Permanently reserve IP addresses in the router for all the devices that you normally connect to this router.

Good luck.

kukubau

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are a good choice due to these are the only channels not overlapped by others. Depends however on the number of wireless computers in your area. Channel 6, the default channel for many devices is the most crowded, channel 9 and 11 are good alternatives.

cdslig

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:13:32 AM »

How do you permanently reserve IP addresses?

kukubau

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:02:12 AM »

You must have a 'DHCP Reservation' option. In my D1 rev router that is found at http://192.168.0.1/bsc_lan.php
Set the computer name, mac address and ip for each of the computers in your network.
Every time a computer connects to your router it will get the same ip.

Tripredacus

• Level 1 Member
  • K-Mart-ian Legend
    • Tripredacus
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »

With mine, I also had problems with IP on wifi. Of course I then disabled DHCP on both sides and set static IPs for 1 PC and a PS3, as well as LAN side PC as well. I am used to consumer grade routers having this problem (Linksys included) and am used to using this option. I had just hoped that a router I bought in 2009 would be better at it than one I bought in 2003, but I guess I wished for too much.

tusker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »

I'm also on the same boat. Last night I updated my router to 3.12N the latest firmware and set the channel to band-11 and still same issue. It is disconnecting more freequently now after firmware upgrade. No DHCP reservations though. I will try that option.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »

I never was secussful with my 615 (b2) and I have just dumped my 628 router.  I went with Netgear WNDR3700.

No router is ever perfect.

unhappy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

I have now owned 3 D-link routers, I originally bought a DI-624 and it started to lock up intermittently.  The only way that you could get reconnected was to disable and re-enable the wireless adaptor on the client machine.  We used to have to do this so often that I renamed the adaptor 'This one you idiot' so my wife knew which one to cycle.  D-link replaced my DI-624 under warranty which I though was fair enough but the new one gave up as well after 18 month (when you switched it on all the lights just stayed on but no one was home) so I bought a DIR-615 last September.  Within 4 months of buying it the wireless started to get sporadic and now it has got to the point that it disconnects during more that 50% of sessions, again it is the same theme, you have to restart the clients adaptor to free things up otherwise you're just stuck.  I phoned their customer support and they agreed that they would be able to offer me more reliable product as a replacement but first I would have to get an returns number from their tech support guys and if I went back with that they would sort me out 'even deliver it so I did have to go without a product' they said.  Well I went though all the process phoned em back with the RMA number and they did a U turn.  This time they said that the tech support had only given an RMA number for a direct replacement.  As I have already had the experience of have a replacement item sent that then failed clearly I don't want to go there again.  So it's going back to Expansys via Amazon.co.uk where it came from and I'm gonna give Netgear a go.  Any recommendations?

For the record I have previously bought D-Link products:

DWL-G132 (was always a bit intermittent)
DSL-320T
DWA-142 X 2
DI-624 (Packed up and was replaced)
DI-624 (Packed up and I still have it - the lights are on but nobodies home)
DI-615 (on it's last legs and about to go back where it came from)

I thought as D-Link were a Taiwanese company their products would stand up better but clearly it's not the case.