• December 20, 2014, 02:56:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New BETA firmware for DGL-5500 v1.13.b02. Visit it's board for more information.

Author Topic: New to the DIR-655 and need some help  (Read 4058 times)

musaicluvr

New to the DIR-655 and need some help
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »

The current setup in my home is the DIR-655 feeding a desktop and XBOX360 via LAN and feeding two laptops (both 802.11g) and one desktop (802.11n) via wireless.  My main problem is the wireless computers are dropping the internet connection fairly regularly.  Sometimes it gets really bad.

The firmware for the router is version 1.02.  I plan to upgrade to 1.11 tonight.

Internet provider is Rogers Cable.  The wireless security is WEP and router is set to Channel 6 as directed by dlink telephone support staff. The 802.11 mode is mixed and the channel width is 20/40 auto.   Should I move to WPA or WPA2?  If so, what channel would be best?

The desktop connecting wirelessly is using the dlink DWA-142 802.11n USB.  Are there software updates for this?  Should I use the dlink wireless management utility or the WZC utlity to manage the wireless connection to this computer?

Also, should I set an administrative password for accessing ther router webpage?  Staff at dlink telephone support told me there was no need for a password since the router website was unique to me.

Is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:40:31 AM by musaicluvr »

creat0r79

• Level 2 Member
Re: New to the DIR-655 and need some help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »

The firmware for the router is version 1.02.  Should I upgrade?
yes, you should, latest firmware is 1.11: http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DIR%2D655

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 02:32:22 PM »

The current setup in my home is the DIR-655 feeding a desktop and XBOX360 via LAN and feeding two laptops (both 802.11g) and one desktop (802.11n) via wireless.  My main problem is the wireless computers are dropping the internet connection fairly regularly.  Sometimes it gets really bad.

The firmware for the router is version 1.02.  I plan to upgrade to 1.11 tonight.

Internet provider is Rogers Cable.  The wireless security is WEP and router is set to Channel 6 as directed by dlink telephone support staff. The 802.11 mode is mixed and the channel width is 20/40 auto.   Should I move to WPA or WPA2?  If so, what channel would be best?

The desktop connecting wirelessly is using the dlink DWA-142 802.11n USB.  Are there software updates for this?  Should I use the dlink wireless management utility or the WZC utlity to manage the wireless connection to this computer?

Also, should I set an administrative password for accessing ther router webpage?  Staff at dlink telephone support told me there was no need for a password since the router website was unique to me.

Is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks!

Hi musaicluvr ,

Upgrade to the latest firmware. Also upgrade the Desktop Adapter to the latest matching Adapter for the Router. You won't see that many disconnects with a matching Adapter, then you are now.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=530

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / ActionTec M1424WR-Rev1 Router into a D-Link DIR-655 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.21 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 7 Ult. 64-Bit SP1 - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

musaicluvr

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:43:04 PM »

Thanks,  I will do the upgrade.   Is there any reason why I can't run the 802.11 mode as Mixed 802.11ng,802.11g and 802.11b?  My wireless computers would not connect with this setting.  In order to connect the 802.11 mode has to be 802.11g a nd 802.11b. 

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:51:20 PM »

It's probably a signal interference issue. I would ltry changing the auto channel scan feature to and specific channel. See if that helps. Also look in to the location of the router, ensure that there are no 2.4ghz devices in the area.

musaicluvr

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »

Would a cell phone be a problem?

AWDL

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »

Would a cell phone be a problem?

Not as big a problem as
A mirror
Refrigerator
UPS
Ham Radio
Lead box
Neighbor(s) wireless network(s)
Meanest person you know

BrodyBoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 01:12:24 AM »

Not as big a problem as
A mirror
Refrigerator
UPS
Ham Radio
Lead box
Neighbor(s) wireless network(s)

Are you serious?  Are all of these especially problematic?  I know I sound dumb saying this (and probably am), but "mirror" and "UPS" never would have occurred to me.  Could you briefly explain why those two?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »

Mirrors are almost as effective in the RF spectrum as they are in the visible spectrum.

UPS's tend to have all kinds of transformers and rectifiers inside of them that can (especially on cheap models, the more expensive models are a whole different bag of worms [Not that they can't also cause problems]) spit out interference on more or less any frequency.

While your at it your cable or DSL modem is doing the same thing.

As well as anything that contains water, water is the bane of 2.4 Ghz.

My personal favorites for anecdotes involving RF interference and shielding are fishtanks and beer kegs.

Oh and don't forget people, we are how many percent water again?

Though I have also heard stories where a person's wireless only worked when they face one way because they themselves were too much shielding.
non progredi est regredi

RP_PTS_Clovis

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:12:01 AM »

another one often over looked

showers that are tile or ceramic

bathrooms in general are basically horrible to pass through for 2.4ghz or 5.9ghz

musaicluvr

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 05:54:47 AM »

After much frustration I packed up the DIR655 and brought it back for a refund.   The constant dropped connections and hours spent on the dlink support lines was unacceptable.  I am now back on my old Dell router with no connectivity problems whatsover.  Thanks to all here who tried to be of help.