• April 26, 2024, 01:16:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What does dynamic fragmentation really mean?  (Read 23517 times)

Sulayer

• Level 2 Member
What does dynamic fragmentation really mean?
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:30:53 AM »

OK I enable dynamic fragmentation for my dlink 4500 and my firmware is 1.22 beta. My Xbox 360 still working very good, but why alot of people around the forum says disable it. I just wondering because I have comcast high speed and dynamic fragmentation turn on and nothing wrong with it. Dynamic  fragmentation make less lag for your gaming and smoother. The second major thing that GameFuel does is called Dynamic Fragmentation. Simply put, it breaks up larger packets of data into smaller ones. If a user is uploading a large file, the packet sizes being sent out can be relatively large, much larger than a game might be sending. Dynamic Fragmentation breaks these large packets into smaller packets so that gaming data won't have to wait as long to be sent out.

Dynamic Fragmentation
This option should be enabled when you have a slow Internet uplink. It helps to reduce the impact that large low priority network packets can have on more urgent ones by breaking the large packets into several smaller packets.

My uplink speed fast is around 10,000 is not slow so is it better to disable dynamic fragmentation is still works when is enable dynamic fragmentation.

So i'm still confuse does dynamic fragmentation make your gaming smoother and less lag or what?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:35:01 AM by Sulayer »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: What does dynamic fragmentation really mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »

Dynamic Fragmentation will automatically fragment a frame that is being sent to a host that will not accept a packet size 1500. Such as those using DSL connections. I personally I don't use it since I'm on Cable.

It's not the same as the fragmentation threshold adjustment in wireless devices. In wireless, lowering the fragmentation threshold lowers the maximum frame size a device can transmit without fragmenting the frame. Which is suppose to reduce collisions which in turn will reduce the number of retransmissions.

If your asking if it will limit the lag that your xbox will encounter, I don't think so, since the XBL servers are more in control of that and what people do on there xboxes and what;s all connected in between. Lag is probably always going to rear it's ugly head when it's not needed.

The only thing you can do is to make sure is that your network is setup and configured well, in house, out to your ISP. I also bought my own CABLE modem, there are better ones available then some of the default ones they have you rent. Same for DSL modems too.

My 2 cents.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Sulayer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »

Dynamic Fragmentation plays the biggest role for the dlink router that why I actually buy this product. Dynamic Fragmentation does work for Xbox 360 why people kept saying disable it that load of ****. Personally, my dynamic fragmentation is enable and nothing wrong with it. My connection is Comcast cable and is 30 down and 10 upload. Never had problem with dynamic fragmentation, so I kept it on until i do.

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:15:41 AM »

Anyone have any update on this setting for dynamic fragmentation, good or bad on XBL with newer FW?  Mine is disabled per the sticky but looks like there is some controversy on whether to enable it or leave it disabled on newer FW versions.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:41:21 AM »

"Dynamic Fragmentation
This option should be enabled when you have a slow Internet uplink. It helps to reduce the impact that large low priority network packets can have on more urgent ones by breaking the large packets into several smaller packets."

Not what determines a "slow Internet Uplink"? I don't know. From years of experience and finding my information from others on the Internet, Disabling it is preferred. It's possible that maybe under 1Mb uplink connections, this would be beneficial and should be turned on. I have had a 6Mb and 10Mb down both with 1Mb uplink and now I'm on a 50Mb down and 2Mb up and have never had the Dynamic Fragmentation on in all packages i've had and have had great gaming experiences aside what goes on during game play coming from there services.  ::)

Maybe you can run some test and see what works best for you? What is your Up and Down speeds?

My 2 cents.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Hard Harry

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:14:17 PM »

To put simply, dynamic fragmentation takes the traffic your sending up, and breaks it up, to fit better through your upstream bandwidth pipe. The thing about gaming though is the traffic is small anyway (think fast ninja packets) so breaking them up can sometimes hurt. Also, if none of your traffic is bigger then your "pipe" it doesn't help any. 

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:13:45 AM »

15/2 with a 39ms ping on speed test.
I was just curious but by everyone's description it may not work, when I have time I will play around with it on and off, then report back. 

Hard Harry

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:11:03 AM »

Don't think of it as "will or won't work". Think of it as "whats best for me". Try it both ways, play some games. See which you like better. In the end, thats what counts, all techno mumbo jumbo aside.

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »

That's the plan Harry, after Mondays' hosting extravaganza not sure if can get any better but I probably was just in a lobby with a bunch of newbs, lol

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »

Well turned on dynamic fragmentation and ran a bunch of speed tests and pings from different websites. The ping and jitter averaged 1 second lower but that is marginal and is really inconclusive.
I ran the XBL connection test a few times with no issues.
I played Black Ops for a couple of hours with no issues getting in games or with lag.

Conclusion, I left dynamic fragmentation disabled due to the description in the owners manual:
This option should be enabled when you have a slow Internet uplink. It helps to reduce the impact that large low priority network packets can have on more urgent ones.

I have at least a 2 meg upload and IMHO that is not a slow internet uplink, however like furry said what is considered slow?  I would think anything less than 1 meg is slow but I am not a network guy.
Anyway. I did not notice any difference or issues with it enabled or disabled.  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:06:37 AM by XS »

Hard Harry

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 08:41:10 AM »

I think anything below "broadband" which is 728Kbps? But your right, its up to determination. Thanks for the tests. There just isn't enough true scientifically gathered data on some of these features.

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »

Imo you should leave it enabled with a speed of 2Mbs, you don't get exactly that. 2Mb/s is not a big enough, it is 0.25MB/s not even 1MB a second of upload thus that feature should stay enabled which comes by default for all users.

--
Chris
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:05:02 PM by LookIntoMyEyees »
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »

I have 12/1 plan, Charter cable.

If I leave Dynamic Fragmentation on, I get latency of as bad as 37ms pings.

However, off, I get latency pings of 5-21ms.  I think in my case it's best left off.

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 10:59:55 AM »

Imo you should leave it enabled with a speed of 2Mbs, you don't get exactly that. 2Mb/s is not a big enough, it is 0.25MB/s not even 1MB a second of upload thus that feature should stay enabled which comes by default for all users.

--
Chris

Does anyone know what is considered a slow uplink speed?  When was this option available, what year?  If this option was available when the router was released 4-5 years ago, back then if you had over 1 meg upload you were blazing fast.

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 08:17:09 PM »

Does anyone know what is considered a slow uplink speed?  When was this option available, what year?  If this option was available when the router was released 4-5 years ago, back then if you had over 1 meg upload you were blazing fast.

Good point!
Pages: [1] 2