• October 20, 2014, 02:38:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Tools for log analysis?  (Read 3500 times)

thinksInCode

• Level 1 Member
Tools for log analysis?
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:48:13 AM »

Hi all, first time poster here.

I like the feature of the router that emails all the logs, but it's so much data I can't make much sense of it. Are there any tools or scripts any of you guys use to analyze the logs and generate a report?

If not, sounds like a fun coding project  ;D

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
Re: Tools for log analysis?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »

You can adjust the D-Link router to send it's log via syslog to one of your computers in your LAN.
On this computer you are installing Wallwatcher which collects all the loginformation from the router for you.
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

thinksInCode

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:48:28 AM »

You can adjust the D-Link router to send it's log via syslog to one of your computers in your LAN.
On this computer you are installing Wallwatcher which collects all the loginformation from the router for you.

That seems like the easiest approach; however, none of the computers on my LAN are running syslogd that I know of. Thanks anyway though!

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »

Maybe you don't understand right.
Syslog is running on the computer when you have installed Wallwatcher.
On the router you just adjust the syslog settings and enter the IP address of the computer where you have Wallwatcher running. The router is than sending the information to the computer and Wallwatcher is loging everthing.
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

thinksInCode

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »

Maybe you don't understand right.
Syslog is running on the computer when you have installed Wallwatcher.
On the router you just adjust the syslog settings and enter the IP address of the computer where you have Wallwatcher running. The router is than sending the information to the computer and Wallwatcher is loging everthing.

OH! That makes sense. My computer's not on all the time, but this will definitely be worth a look! Thanks a bunch.