• June 06, 2024, 02:05:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Defective unit?  (Read 5204 times)

Caeldae

• Level 1 Member
Defective unit?
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »

I bought a DWA-552 card with my new computer, and have been having my fair share of problems.

I am running:
Vista Home Premium x64
Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz
8GB DDR2-800

First off, my unit seems to be manufactured wrong, ie the connector doesn't reach fully inside the pci slot when the card is inserted flush against the mount on the case. I've confirmed that other cards mount without issue.

My first attempt at installing it with the included software seemed successful until I tried to connect to my network. Immediately out of the installer, the network was detected but later disappeared after I entered the credentials, etc. I've since tried installing the 1.50 drivers to no avail.

After the above failed, I uninstalled the D-Link software, removed the card, and installed it in my other slot to find that now the computer won't detect the card at all (I'm thinking due to lousy/nonexistent PCI connection). None of the D-Link setup utilities will complete because they can't detect the card either.  ???

At this point I'm thinking of returning the card in hopes that perhaps my unit is defective and that another may actually work. But before I make an hour-drive to return it, did I miss anything? Any help at this point would really help, because frankly I'm out of ideas.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: Defective unit?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:04:35 PM »

I bought a DWA-552 card with my new computer, and have been having my fair share of problems.

I am running:
Vista Home Premium x64
Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz
8GB DDR2-800

First off, my unit seems to be manufactured wrong, ie the connector doesn't reach fully inside the pci slot when the card is inserted flush against the mount on the case. I've confirmed that other cards mount without issue.

My first attempt at installing it with the included software seemed successful until I tried to connect to my network. Immediately out of the installer, the network was detected but later disappeared after I entered the credentials, etc. I've since tried installing the 1.50 drivers to no avail.

After the above failed, I uninstalled the D-Link software, removed the card, and installed it in my other slot to find that now the computer won't detect the card at all (I'm thinking due to lousy/nonexistent PCI connection). None of the D-Link setup utilities will complete because they can't detect the card either.  ???

At this point I'm thinking of returning the card in hopes that perhaps my unit is defective and that another may actually work. But before I make an hour-drive to return it, did I miss anything? Any help at this point would really help, because frankly I'm out of ideas.

Hi Caeldae,

First, there are two screws that hold the bracket against the Circuit Board. Loosen them and try adjusting the seat into the PCI Slot. See what happens.

Do not install the entire D-Limk Software package, only the Drivers.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

eromlige

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »

I hate saying "ME TOO" but it seems the exact same thing happened to me.

I am running:
Vista Home Premium x64
Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz
6GB DDR3-1600 ?

While browsing everything just froze. Nothing special about the site I was on, just basic HTML, not that it mattered. But the machine froze, I restarted only to find that windows no longer saw the card. I shutdown, moved the card to another slot, nothing.

I didn't notice if it wasn't seated properly, so I'll try the tip just provided see what happens and re-post.

eromlige

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »

So, I decided to try again, making sure it was properly seated in this machine:

Running:
Vista Home Premium x64 SP1
Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz
6GB DDR3-1600 ?

With no luck. It just didn't see it (DWA-552 v.A1) again in both PCI slots with the previous driver (1.50) un-installed. So then I decided I should try it in another machine, just to make sure the card was ka-put.

Running:
XP Home ver. 2002 SP3
Pentium(R) 4 3.0GHz
3.25 DDR2 ?

And violla! It's found, driver installs and it works.
Now what?

So it works on my other machine, I bought it for the new one. Is it just a driver issue? Do I just wait until D-Link or Atheros updates the driver again or is ver. A1 of this card a dud for Vista 64 and perhaps Windows 7?