• June 15, 2024, 07:47:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP Questions  (Read 3340 times)

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
FTP Questions
« on: July 27, 2009, 07:33:03 AM »

1. the FTP on the DNS-323 is set to time out after 2 minutes of idle time, but after letting the web browser sit inactively for at least ten minutes i was still able to access the files on the drive.  is this a bug in the firware (1.7)?

2. i have several ISO files on the DNS-323 that are at least 30GB in size each, but looking at them remotely it says that they are only 3.9GB each.  is this normal?  ???

thanks!

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
Re: FTP Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:24:43 PM »

anyone, bueller, anyone......

kswags

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 05:33:08 AM »

Have you actually confirmed that they are 30G's locally?  maybe you thought they were supposed to be 30G's.

None of my business, but I also have never heard of a 30 gb ISO file.  3.9 sounds much more reasonable for an ISO.

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:18:55 AM »

Have you actually confirmed that they are 30G's locally?  maybe you thought they were supposed to be 30G's.

None of my business, but I also have never heard of a 30 gb ISO file.  3.9 sounds much more reasonable for an ISO.

it's a ripped blu-ray ISO file.  so, yes, it is actually over 30 gb.  how do i know?  i ripped it myself.

kswags

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:00:56 AM »

taken from a forum post ...

"I have been running backup over Ubuntu, to a disk mounted via FTP. While ftp will only report a file size of 4GB, it successfully uploads files in excess of 150GB"

This might explain why the FTP server never actually timed out.  Even though it only reported the 4gb ISO it was actually transferring the file.  Thus it would not be "inactive".

Did you actually try to FTP the files even though you only saw them remotely as 3.9?

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:25:45 AM »

Did you actually try to FTP the files even though you only saw them remotely as 3.9?

i started but i got frowned upon by our IT person here at work for using the bandwidth, so i had to stop the download.   >:(

however, the download message box indicated an estimated download time of 9 hours and some change.  which makes sense since my upload speed is limited to 1.5 MBps.