• May 23, 2024, 02:08:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: New v1.30 drivers don't work and wipe out Windows welcome screen  (Read 4499 times)

dslabby

• Level 1 Member

When I downloaded the new drivers for DWA556 Windows goes into classic welcome and shutdown windows mode when i try to switch it comes up saying that this file WlanGINA ver 1.0.4.0 made the change and  i need to uninstall the program.  The utility can't find any networks (v1.21 finds 5) and my wireless does not work at all from this computer.  Fast user switching is killed by this file as well.  Reverting to v1.21 fixes everything.  Driver package seems VERY unfinished to have been released.  Even after a restart nothing works in the v1.30 driver. 

Now has a wonderful constant restart bug with all driver versions, something introduced with the last 2 driver versions 1.21 and 1.30 has stuck in XP and won't come out even with your uninstall routine so downgrading is not successful.   Kills some windows features without asking and microsoft says it should NOT be able to and to remove the driver/device causing problems until a fix is found by the manufacturer.  May just do that, other working atheros cards available.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:18:10 PM by dslabby »

¢¢

• Level 1 Member
Re: New v1.30 drivers don't work and wipe out Windows welcome screen
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »

I am only responding in regard to the "Windows goes into classic welcome and shutdown windows mode..." - and - "Now has a wonderful constant restart bug with all driver versions..."

I just installed my DWA-556 and experienced the same glitch.

At http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=DWA-556 under the "Support" tab inside the product window there is an FAQ "How do I enable Fast User Switching?"
http://www.d-link.com/support/faqDetail/?prod_id=3254

It worked for my Windows XP SP3, the restart bug is gone and I have Fast User Switching back again.

DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter
Driver 7.4.2.126, Utility 1.30

ANT24-0230 Xtreme N 2.4GHz Antenna V1.0

Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme motherboard