• May 22, 2024, 07:03:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Question regarding data usage and IP cameras  (Read 5397 times)

Codename47

• Level 1 Member
Question regarding data usage and IP cameras
« on: February 16, 2015, 04:29:44 AM »

I'm limited on my bandwidth due to the rural location I'm in and having to use satellite.   I'm capped at around 15GB which is horrible.   I just purchased these cameras but after registering them with mydlink I was wondering if the data they use is only when accessed remotely or if the feed is going on all the time and being uploaded regardless of if I'm asking for the data through whatever portal I'm using.   

Any information you have would be extremely helpful.   I didn't see this in the FAQ but did see people wanting to shut off their feed for security purposes which made me think it might be constantly streaming to the cloud even when I'm not asking it too.

Thanks!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Question regarding data usage and IP cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »

The live video stream is only pushed while the cameras are actively monitored. If total monthly throughput is a concern, leaving the cameras in Night Mode will keep the stream in black and white which will use a LOT less bandwidth than a color stream.

Logging into mydlink from a PC on the same LAN on the cameras should not impact your data usage as mydlink distinguished local from remote logins and live streams are only pushed locally.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:04:54 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Codename47

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »

That is great news.   I won't be actively monitoring very much so that should work.   It just sounded like people were afraid of people hijacking their connection which made me think the link was on all the time.   

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm pretty happy so far as the set up was a breeze and seems to work well.   I've got the 2132 and 5222 set up.   I wish they made a 1080 version but 720 seems to be pretty clear for what I'm doing.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »

That is great news.   I won't be actively monitoring very much so that should work.   It just sounded like people were afraid of people hijacking their connection which made me think the link was on all the time.   

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm pretty happy so far as the set up was a breeze and seems to work well.   I've got the 2132 and 5222 set up.   I wish they made a 1080 version but 720 seems to be pretty clear for what I'm doing.

The dcs2230 cube is what you are looking for.

It's not a L, so there is now mydlink for it.

Use ip camera viewer or other software.  Access the camera directlythrough its Web pages and view the jpeg images that way also.

Codename47

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »

Thanks I'll take a look at that model as well.   I need some exterior ones as well but unfortunately I wired everything initially when buildnng with RG59 with the red/black wire for power.   I'd like to just throw up some wireless and maybe get an adapter for the 12v power wires as I think that would work.   My biggest problem is now finding out how easy the dlink system was to set up.  I've also been looking  at the NVR (DNR-312L), but I'm torn b/c I think my homeserver running Dlink control center Dcam would do the same thing.  Also, everyone seems to have a poor opinion of the unit.

I'd like to stick with dlink for exterior as well so i don't have two systems but the outdoor wireless units are pretty limited and the range at night is pretty small.   If you have some ideas for that I'd appreciate it too.