• June 16, 2024, 12:23:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Newbe with some DLNA-issues  (Read 3175 times)

sDreamer

• Level 1 Member
Newbe with some DLNA-issues
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »

Hi folks,

I am pretty new in the NAS-stuff - i got my DNS-320L now for about 2 weeks. It is connected via an 1GB-Switch to my Network, where the PS3 is also used as a media-player.

First of all my actual setup:
- DNS-320L
- HW-Ver.: A2
- F/W: 1.01
- Mode: standard
- Disc1: Samsung HD154UI (1,5TB)    - 78% full (used for pictures and music)
- Disc2: Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN1 (3TB)    - 56% (used for movies)

i am pretty happy with this device, even though it seems to be pretty slow in some situations.

Whats the situation?

After having had copied most of the data to the NAS I initially enabled the UPnP Server. I cant remember how time that took. Afterwards i was still moving some files around, reorganising the structure, adding some more files here and there. Maybe 3 days later i firstly started my ps3 and wanted to try out playing some movies from the NAS. some worked pretty well, some weren't displayed at the ps3, some were just named "invalid data", some were declined "data had been moved" or something like that. but in the last case the data was exactly there, but couldnt be used.

Well than i went back to the dlink menue, and was hoping for the means of troubleshooting to find some options, which allow me to partially refresh certain folders to the UPnP server. but doesnt exist. only option is, hitting the button "refresh all". Well...what can i do? so hit it.
Then a real slow progress began of again "initializing" (why isnt the algorythm so smart and just identifies changes to the last refresh instead of starting from point zero??)
It took 40 (!) hours (!!!) -is this serious?- before progress was dying at 99%...i gave it another 5 hours. but still looking at a freeze at 99%, i let the system do a restart. starting the playstation and then searching for movies at the NAS, browsing under "folders" the disc2 wasnt displayed (just disc1), but browsing under "all movies" content of disc2 was displayed.
then i went back to the dlink-menue for UPnP setup...there it was then shown shorty "100%" before a pop-up window informed me, that "the refresh failed".

I dont know, what i did wrong and i am not very motivated to run another 40hour refresh with uncertain success.

any suggestions?
is it really true, that an internal refreshing about 3TB to the dlna-server may use more than 3 hours ... saying 2 days?

NixZero

• Level 2 Member
Re: Newbe with some DLNA-issues
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »

if you want to try another dlna server you can try installing fun plug and then minindlna (there are lots  of tutorials around), its extremely fast at indexing and tagging files.
keep in mind that this kind of mod can void your warranty, I dont know what's dlink policy on this matter.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:38:49 AM by NixZero »