• May 22, 2024, 07:34:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware update???  (Read 6629 times)

slyder

• Level 2 Member
Firmware update???
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:33:24 PM »

Seems that 1.07 is getting a wee bit waaayyy over due...
Given threads on other DLink products ie: 520 etc... Why is it taking so long to address issues which the majority of other manufacturers and 3rd party vendors have already fixed and addressed with their products????...

Hard to stay loyal and committed to dlink when it appears that such loyality is not returned...

kahwooi

• Level 1 Member
Re: Firmware update???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:40 PM »

I think D-link is lagging behind Synology and QNAP in term of their firmware and application. While the hardware is still reasonable because of their price, the only thing is the USB port should also support USB storage. Fun_plug can solve the issue but the firmware need improve, because fun_plug may crash the DNS-323.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:02:47 AM »

...because fun_plug may crash the DNS-323.

Can you explain more, why you believe fun_plug may crash the DNS-323?

kahwooi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:15:16 AM »

Taken from DNS323 Wiki - http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:telnet:

"Before you even try this, please be :!: WARNED :!: that using telnet to your DNS-323 you can very easily brick your unit. "

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »

"Before you even try this, please be :!: WARNED :!: that using telnet to your DNS-323 you can very easily brick your unit. "

What I believe what that means is this... if you use fun_plug to enable a telnet Command
Line Interface (CLI) to your DNS-323; you need to take responsibility for
the commands you type into the CLI.  Typing the wrong command could cause
bad things to happen; especially, if you try to write to the DNS-323's NVRAM.

There is nothing really risky about fun_plug, it's just a technique to enable execution
of user provided code.  However, as with many thing in life, "With great power,
comes great responsibility
"  It is up to the user (hacker) to understand what the
user provided code is going to do.

One of the absolutely brilliant design of the DNS-323, is all the system files
are stored in NVRAM and copied to the hard disk on boot up. (this is why you can update
the firmware without a drive installed in the DNS-323) So, if something gets screwed up on
the hard disk, you can reboot (reset) to a known working system, as long as, you haven't
tried to change the files in the NVRAM.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:40:13 AM by mig »

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:50:28 AM »

looks like they USED to have a 2 month development cycle for this product.  now it looks like there is no definiitive cycle and perhaps expect revisions 5-7 months.

In otherwords, nothing is coming anytime soon.

Be patient.

jesbo09

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:07:45 AM »

Taken from DNS323 Wiki - http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:telnet:

Absolutely... once Telnet or SSH is enabled, you have root access to the device, and by issuing certain commands you can write to the flash memory and brick the device.  I have been using fun_plug for months and so far have never crashed the DNS, nor have I done anything that would corrupt or alter the flash or NVRAM.  I take issue with the intent of the statement you can "easily" brick the unit.  Sure you can easily do it.  But for most people its not likely that you will.

The wiki page discusses 2 ways to enable telnet - one is to FLASH the firmware with a version that enables telnet.... Flashing to any unsupported firmware image is dangerous and can brick your device. Even flashing to D-Link firmware can "easily" brick the device - by powering off the unit during a firmware update.  Its easy... but for most... not a likely event.

The second way to enable telnet is by using the fun_plug extensions... And that is pretty safe, as it does not involve flashing the device. And it allow you  to customize the unit as you see fit. And it's easily disabled.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:34:29 PM by jesbo09 »

slyder

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 05:04:56 AM »

Patience has run out! I have 2 of these units and all my network products (switches, routers, NAS, etc) and have been waiting PATIENTLY for updates since 1.06 was released before I expand my setup by 2 more units ( I like consistency in hardware!), however with no end in sight [and this is consistent across all the product forums on this site ] in this waiting for the a next release I am leaving Dlink behind for ALL my future network products and now actively seek a manufacturer with a more customer care oriented phylosophy.

Anyone want to purchase 2 DNS323, 2 DSM-750's, 3 DGS 1008, WBR1310, 4 DCS920  ???  >:(

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 09:42:43 AM »

sure...

10.00 is my offer

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »

Im with you slider

The typical Support suggestion is  "reset unit to default and reformat drives, this should fix the problem"

Sorry, but this is data and you simply cannot reformat everytime there is a problem with the device.

I am upset I didnt return my unit within the first 30days of my purchase.

Now Im waiting for a 1.5tb drive to go on sale so I can backup my DNS323 and then do the standard troubleshooting, reset/reformat
DNS-323  2x1.5TB Seagate Drives Separate Volumes
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
Various computers and hardware, Win xp, Win 7,
1.07 firmware