• June 15, 2024, 02:32:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Please - any help getting data off failed drive  (Read 3225 times)

jeffnoone

• Level 1 Member
Please - any help getting data off failed drive
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:48:04 PM »

I have the 323 with 1.06 firmware - 2 drives functioning as individula drives
Drives are Seagate Barrcudas 1GB each (ST31000340AS)

Anyway one of the drives failed, but I am still hoping to get data off it

As mentioned in another thread, I downloaded ext2IFS, and installed in XP Pro

The dead drive will mount using a USB2/SATA external mount, and I get the following in ext2IFS control panel, and from Windows Explorer - there are three partitions on the drive, which I mount as M, N and O
The first partition seems to a Linux swap parttion - nothin g in it, Windows says it needs to be formatted
The second partion is EXT2, and has a directory  .systemfile, with 5 files in it
The Third partition is EXT2, 930MB, has all my directories visible (e.g. Music, Video), but has nothing visible in directores - Windows repoirts only 314GB as "free" - so I assume this is where the files I want to recover are
Windows also keeps warning "Windows - Delayed Write Failed" when I view this partition

I have no Linux setup (but I guesss I could run one, but would presumably have a huge learning curve if I actually want to do a file recovery (assuming it is possible)

I do have a Mac - G2 - again I am qutie unfamiliar with this

Is there any way to do a recovery within Windows?
Any other fairly easy way to do this?
BTW when I try to mount the same drive on a SATA cable directly to motherboard, it freezes Windows, immediately after Windows has fully started
BTW drive is not on the Seagate firmware hitlist, which hsa affected some drives in this series (although it is Thailand SD15)

Linux Swap 517MB   M: not formatted
Ext2 502MB      N: 468MB - .systemfile - 5 files within
Ext2 930.5MB      O: 314GB free - directories there - .systemfile
Windows - Delayed Write Failed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:00:42 PM by jeffnoone »

freestyledub

• Level 1 Member
Re: Please - any help getting data off failed drive
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »

Clearly you have already thought about the option of linux for this. You can try using a linux live cd (ubuntu) so that nothing on your installed system (WinXP) is touched. This might give you the basic functionality that you would need to get to your "stranded" data. Maybe just copy it off to another external device if you have one. If there are any questions you have while in the linux environment just ask I am sure myself or someone else on the board would be willing to help, or even consider joining the ubuntu forums to get some pointers.

crmblss

• Level 1 Member
Re: Please - any help getting data off failed drive
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:10:34 PM »

I don't know if this will help you, but it looks like you have this same drive???

The following is a quote from this thread:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4060.msg23072#msg23072

Hi! Seagate has just admited that their HD models ST3500320AS, ST3500620AS, ST3500820AS, ST3640330AS, ST3640530AS, ST3750330AS, ST3750630AS, ST31000340AS [207951] have firmware problems:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?Tab=search&Module=selfservice&TargetLanguage=selfservice&DocId=207951&NewLang=en

I hope this helps