• June 15, 2024, 10:31:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: My 1050W APC UPS are there ... but ... what happen ?  (Read 7975 times)

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
My 1050W APC UPS are there ... but ... what happen ?
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »

I don't see any config parameter. What happen when a powerfailure occure ? The NAS wait until 10 min left before shutdown ? Shutdown automaticaly ? Restart when power are back ?

Dont know anything, because i see no setting page, or nothing told me what are the "default" config.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: My 1050W APC UPS are there ... but ... what happen ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:05:22 AM »

When you connect the UPS, you should see the UPS status on the status page - as far as I can determine, and I haven't done a whole lot of testing, this is a "more or less" default NUT configuration, which works like this ...

IF UPS status = "On Battery" AND battery status = "Low" THEN INITIATE SHUTDOWN.

Pull the UPS plug out of the wall and after a minute or so, you should see the UPS status change to show that it's on battery, leave it a little longer and you'll see the battery status change, leave it long enough and it will shut down.

You can to some extent configure the UPS using Powerchute before connecting it to the DNS-323, but NUT appears to be quite limited, at least when compared to the features available in Powerchute where you can, depending on the UPS, change sensitivity, read voltages, etc. etc.

I have to admit that I'm not too impressed with the NUT developers philosophy, which appears to be that not running the UPS to battery depletion simply reduces availability of the server - from a UPS support standpoint this is a guaranteed way to reduced battery life.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Jet Black

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:25:22 AM »

I just bought my DNS-323 the other day and love it... been wanting to use the USB connection for something (since I did choose the 323 over the 313 for that reason) but realized that my printer is an all-in-one and forgot I can't scan via network :D

Anyway, when I read there was UPS support, I thought that would be perfect, but I can't tell if my Belkin 1250VA UPS is supported.

When I plug it in, it still says Printer Info: but it does say Belkin UPS - the Clear Print Cache button remains as well, though.

I've seen screenshots of other setups that it says UPS, with the % remaining on the battery etc... Does this mean my UPS isn't supported, or that I need to do another step?

I believe mine is the Belkin F6C1250eiTW-RK

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »

Doesn't sound like it recognises the Belkin as a UPS.

Jet Black

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »

That's what I figured.

Any way that can be manually configured? There are all sorts of drivers available for this UPS in different flavours of Linux.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14:23 PM »

Theoretically yes - but you're going to have to do quite a bit of work on your own - it might just be easier to go out and buy an APC.

First - D-Link's firmware does not allow for true custom configurations, you cannot add or remove drivers etc.  There is a way around this but you'd be largely on your if you ran into problems, as it is not supported by D-Link.

Second - many of those drivers you mention were probably compiled for what is generally known as an x86 version of linux - one intended to run on a processor using the Intel x86 architecture or compatible - these boxes use an arm processor, so you're probably going to be recompiling the driver of your choice.

I'm guessing that if you had that sort of linux skills you wouldn't be asking the question here - but - if you do, I've got a few questions myself and could use some help configuring the APC support that does exist to work in a client server environment - I understand it's possible, but I haven't figured out where the NUT configuration files are stored

Jet Black

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:05:28 AM »

Fair enough. Thanks!

I don't want to go out and buy a random UPS to find it also doesn't work. Any idea if D-Link has a list of supported UPS devices?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »

Somewhere around there used to be a post that said it's any UPS except TrippLite - but as you already know that's not 100% accurate, I know it supports the newer APC SmartUPS line (the older ones don't have a USB port), because that's what I've tested it with - I've also read that they work with the APC BackUPS, but have no personal experience there.

Jet Black

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »

Thanks for your help. I may find some other use for my USB port yet, maybe I'll fun_plug the system to use it for USB drives or wait for 1.07 and see what other things D-link can think of.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »

You're welcome.