• June 05, 2024, 11:41:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Multiple volumes using RAID 1  (Read 3085 times)

nanohead

Multiple volumes using RAID 1
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:20:33 PM »

Not sure if this has been handled here, didn't find it anywhere.

I wanted to cut up the RAID set (2x500GB) into 2 volumes, 1 300GB and 1 200GB and be able to map them and assign then separately.

Is this possible?   I haven't figured out how to manage the disk volumes other than formatting.  Are there any other storage management tools that I am missing?

Thanks...   Running 1.05

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Multiple volumes using RAID 1
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »

This is not possible without hacking the device.

You are allowed one RAID volume and any remaining capacity is configured as JBOD
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

nanohead

Re: Multiple volumes using RAID 1
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »

Thanks  so much for answering....    I gathered that there is a limitation there.   No big deal ultimately I guess, I'll just use the file system to organize rather than volumes/LUNs.

Too bad.   Maybe I'll add those features to the 1.07 wish list.

The system is pretty nice, but the storage management tools are somewhat lacking (like there aren't any).  Would be nice to have some RAID tools, maybe SMART reporting, SATA speed registration, etc.   Just something to know what disk health is.     Right now, the management functionality is 98% network, 2% storage.   Should be more balanced as it is a data storage device.   :o