• June 16, 2024, 10:35:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Twonky server  (Read 6696 times)

Bakul

• Level 1 Member
Twonky server
« on: October 09, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »

I like DNS-323 for its all functions except media streaming through its UPNP. DNS-323 does not communicate very well with my DLNA TV. It is ok for music but does not work for pictures. I have never tried video streaming.
Now I am planning to install Twonky. I have three questions -

1. Does any one have better suggestion than Twonky?

2. After installing Twonky, can I keep all other functions like FTP, iTunes as it is and use Twonky only to replace UPNP?

3. Can some one guide me to step by step instruction on how to install Twonky?

Thanks in advance.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Twonky server
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »

I don't use it myself, I just access the media via a samba share, but the info you requested on installing it can be found here:
http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:twonkyupnpserver
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Bakul

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »

What is samba share? Can I use that for streaming media to DLNA device without installing Twonky?

Please bear with my ignorance.
THanks,

scaramanga

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »

Samba, SMB or CIFS are different names for the same thing: It's how windows shares files and folders. The DNS-323 supports that as well as any Linux machine.
It's that thing you set up from Advanced -> Network Access in the DNS-323 web interface.
DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.08 fun_plug 0.5
2 x Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode
(LLC changed to 5 minutes. Partitions aligned to 4K boundary)

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 03:43:07 AM »

if you mess up your twonky installation just the right way (like it happened to me) you get unlimited twonky. demo will not expire. if something happens to samba on your dns-323 (like it happened to me, again) twonky will continue to work. streaming music with twonky may give you quite a scare: after some time you get pink leds and email notification about both drives failure (it goes away with reboot).
everything working on your nas (ftp server, whatever else there is) will continue to work after you install twonky. even if you mess twonky up and it won't work itself.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 04:47:17 AM »

twonky may give you quite a scare: after some time you get pink leds and email notification about both drives failure (it goes away with reboot).
It often means that /tmp has filled up. You can try mounting it elsewhere that has more space.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.