• June 16, 2024, 01:35:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-130 Blinking Behavior  (Read 7351 times)

Starry-Eyed

• Level 1 Member
DWA-130 Blinking Behavior
« on: May 26, 2010, 06:31:26 AM »

Just installed the DWA-130 yesterday and had a problem retaining the connection when installing my thumb drive on any USB port. Work around I found was to safely remove the adapter, then plug in the thumb drive and then, after that is working, reconnect the adapter and it comes right up. This is Windows 7 and version E1 (5.10). The connection is currently to a G network...I will replace the access points at a later date...but even at G speeds, it is giving me better connectivity except for this glitch I just mentioned.

Second thing I noticed today in the behavior. I installed the drivers that came with the DWA-130 and if you look at the blinking amber light, it always blinks at the same steady speed, like a heartbeat. Like I said, the access is great. When checking Windows Updates, I noticed that there was an optional update listed:

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Network - D-Link DWA-130 Wireless N USB Adapter   Download size: 284 KB

I normally shy away from driver updates, but since I was having some problems, I decided to try it. After the install and reboot, I noticed that the amber light that had been blinking at such a leisurely speed, was now blinking very fast and at varying speeds. Even when it didn't appear that anything was going on, it was still blinking very fast all the time. It looked like it was really showing activity instead of acting like a heartbeat, but I was concerned that this was a problem. There are no updates on the D-Link site for my revision. Perhaps this update was really for one of the earlier versions? So I rolled back the update using system restore. So what is going on?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 06:47:50 AM by Starry-Eyed »

Starry-Eyed

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWA-130 Blinking Behavior
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:55:09 AM »

I talked to D-Link technical support...

The update on Windows Update was probably for some earlier revision ... it would be nice if it said so. No upgrades past Version E1 F/W 5.10...so it was the proper thing to roll that one back and stay with my leisurely heartbeat. It's subjective, but the access seemed a bit slower with the updated driver that Windows Update was offering me.

The other problem with the thumb drive seems to be limited to the Kingston Data Traveler 16GB drive I am using. If I plug in other smaller drives, I had no problem with this. There was another difference with the Kingston drive...the first time I ever used it, after Win7 installed the driver for it, it required a reboot of the PC. I've never seen that before with other thumb drives. So there is something different about it and I will just have to use my work-around if I want to use it.