• June 15, 2024, 12:52:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSM-520 Freezing  (Read 7401 times)

KHAGGERTY

• Level 1 Member
DSM-520 Freezing
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »

I had first bought the D-Link DSM-520 and was rather happy with its performance.  Lately, however, and seeming to happen more and more often, the DSM-520 will randomly freeze and be unresponsive.  Often times the screen will go completely black and although the D-Link is still powered on (indicated by the blue light), no buttons on the remote or console will do anything.  My only option is to unplug the DSM-520 and plug it back in to try again.  At first, this was no big deal and it did not happen very often.  But recently it has become rediculous and I am starting to lament wasting 250$ on this product.  I have not changed anything in my network, I am wirelessly connected, I use TVersity Media Server, and I use  LinkSys WRT54G Wireless Router.  This issue, being the biggest, is only one of many I have found riddled in this device.

Often times I will see duplicated media and sometimes missing media completely. 

Anything over 23 characters I cannot view the end of.  I have brought this up in a phone call recently and my only advice was to try changing the resolution, however that only made my tv incompatible and I had to reset the DSM to no avail.

In the DSM-520, there are several different ways to navigate to your media.  I tend to use the "Folders" navigation option to quickly find what I'm looking for since I created the folders.  I can then click on Seasons/TVShow/season#/Episode# to quickly get to what I need.  If i use the "Movies" navigation option through the DSM-520, I must go through the entire list of any video files I have, starting with 001-"Episode name" for literally hundreds of tv shows.  This is extremely inconvenient and to further aggravate me, some of my media does not show up in the "Folders" navigation but does under Movies.  I dont know why this happens and TVersity shows that the files have been added from these folders.

Video/Audio will sometimes not match up during playback regardless of the file or type, and attempting to use the ridiculously slow fast forward or reverse will often times throw off the audio/video timing as well.  Sometimes, while fast forwarding or rewinding, the entire movie will turn to a black screen or even say end of file even though it is only a fraction of the way through. 

The power button blue light has also stopped working on my DSM-520.  The other blue light that represents a network signal or something still works, however this machine is less than 6 months old and i do not think LED's should be failing this quickly.....

These problems have slowly been compiling and I was wondering if anyone had the same issues or if a technician can give me any advice.  The freezing is the paramount issue because I have recently been unable to watch a full movie w/o a freeze occurring.  Just the other day while playing a playlist, the DSM-520 froze 3 times within an hour.  To me, this magnitude of errors is unacceptable as a product that promises to deliver wireless media for a cost of over 200$. 

If anyone has any advice or input, please let me know.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DSM-520 Freezing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »

If the LED as failed and the device is consistently locking up as you explain I would just contact support via phone and get a warranty replacement it looks like you may have a faulty unit. DO you see these lockups using another media server or with a wired connection as well?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

KHAGGERTY

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »

I have not tried using a wired connection in some time simply because my modem is located in an inconvenient place for setting up a tv and wired connection through my router.  I have used it wired before without any problems, however this was when I had first bought it and everything was functioning properly.  Also, I did not think that the connection could be the problem since I have read other posts in which the unit will display "Lost connection" or something of that nature rather than going black with no response.  I can try some testing on it at another location in the near future and I will get back to you, however do you feel it is most likely a unit problem?  If so, what is the typical warranty associated with these units?  I have had this one since about august or so.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »

I'm just throwing some things out there to help diagnose what might be causing this. It may simply be over heating and locking up now and just need to be replaced from some failure in the hardware. If you are still within warranty you should be able to get a replacement if the device it just locking up now like this.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

KHAGGERTY

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »

I will look into that.  Thanks

whudgens

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »

Hello Folks,

I just stumbled up on your posting.  Mine 520 has also started freezing. I have noticed it once the latest bios update.  But how I resoved it is to disconnect my LAN cable and run only via USB.  I would really like to go back to an older bios update for it.
thanks,

KAK

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »

I have had same problems as above.  Continuous lock ups using wireless or wired.  Finally used a USB drive with a USB hub to power it and all worked fine.
My lockups came under Windows 7.  When I switched to Windows XP, the lockups or freezes stopped.  Did a file activity trace and a registry trace and TCP/IP trace and found activity on a strange address.  The address was UDP 239.255.255.250:ssdp which I found was related to Universal Plug and Play.  I tried stopping UDP 1900 which is ssdp and TCP 5643 which is also related to UPNP.  Also got a program that turns off UPNP.  After turning off UPNP everything works fine on both XP and Windows 7.
Hope this helps any of you having the freeze problem.