• June 16, 2024, 01:08:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-825 and Kodak ESP 5 AIO printer problems  (Read 7751 times)

halcyon_andon

• Level 1 Member
DIR-825 and Kodak ESP 5 AIO printer problems
« on: November 02, 2009, 05:28:04 AM »

HI all,
just purchased and installed a DIR-825, rev b1 with latest 2.02NA firmware. DL'd the latest shareport installer for my PCs. Installed it on a win 7 laptop wirelessly connected (on 5ghz N only band) to router and on an XP pro SP3 desktop with a wired connection. On both shareport identifies the ESP 5 as a type 'USB Other' not as a printer. Therefore I cannot print to it, set it to auto connect to print, or even connect to it at all, etc.
Any ideas?

sweetchaos

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-825 and Kodak ESP 5 AIO printer problems
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »

Hey, I had the same problem and I fixed it.

Here's my story (you can skip this if you want and go straight for the solution):
I hooked up my Windows 7 professional to the DIR825 (revB) router via Ethernet. Then i plugged in my Canon MF4100 laser printer via usb to router. After installing router firmware and verifying that everything worked, I installed the SharePort Utility 1.0.0 R3 (that came with installation cd). I did a test from the computer and it worked. I also managed to install the SharePort Utility version 1.10 (downloaded from the site http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DIR-825&rev=DIR-825_revB) on my laptop running windows xp, and also on my macbook running snow leopard. I tested the printer from all 3 locations and they all worked. Then, 24hours later, after turning on my Windows 7 machine, i discovered the same issue as you, the SharePort utility didn't recognize the Printer as Canon, instead it shows "USB device". I was shocked that it was working one day and not the next. Nothing was working, i had to do a hard-reset of router, but that didn't fix the problem. I also installed the latest version of SharePort on my Windows 7 machine with no luck. I gave up and thought i was going to return the router. 24hours later, i re-installed the previous version (v1.0.0 R3) from the cd thinking that would fix it, with no luck. Then I was reading the help section of the SharePort utility and i realized that something was wrong with the Router's IP address. Basically, the IP address of the printer was interfering with the IP address of the router (to my understanding). Basically, I had to change either the router IP or printer IP. So i changed the router IP. Here's how.

How I fixed it:
1. Logged onto your Router's Admin page (192.168.0.1 typically)
2. Network Settings
3. Changed Router IP address to 192.168.0.2 (the number doesnt matter, i just increased it by 1)
4. Opened SharePort Utility and VOILA.
Note: Im still using the SharePort Utility v1.0.0 R3 (it's working fine)

Hope this helps.  ;D

halcyon_andon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 04:56:13 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I had already changed the local IP of the router away from the default to integrate it into my existing network. I ended up emailing Dlink tech support, who responded to call them directly rather than email support. I called and the "tech" walked me through her flow chart to solve the problem. After teh standard questions and attempts to fix it, They had me plug in a USB drive to the shareport, which didnt initialize correctly. She then had me unplug the router and plug it back in (this is probably the 10th hard reset I had tried). Once it rebooted I plugged in the USB drive and it mounted correctly. Then plugged in the printer and, surprise surprise, it recognized it as a "multifunction device" as opposed to a "USB Other".
I don't know if it was the hard reset (although I had tried that many times) or the fact that I tried the usb drive first, but it is working. I wonder if the USB drive initialized something the printer couldn't?

halcyon_andon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »

Ok bit of an update. After getting it working on my win 7 64bit laptop. I had to spend hours fiddling to get it working on my winxp media center 05 laptop as well. Had to install shareport, then uninstall and re install the Kodak AIO driver to get it to recognize. Had it all working nicely. Then a couple weeks go by, I try to use the printer, and surprise surprise, it is back to recognizing the printer as a type "USB other". Can't connect to it, can't print to it.

Tried fixing it today and this is what I had to do. Power cycling the router did no good. Then plugged in a USB thumb drive. Had to power cycle the router to get the PC shareport client to recognize the drive. Once I power cycled it, it worked fine. Then unplugged the usb drive and plugged in the printer, and it reconnects to the printer correctly this time?

I have no idea what is going on with this, it seems like unstable software in the router, and maybe a little bit of unstable hardware in the router. As a commercial product, I have to say that this is very unpolished. It doesn't even work as well as my old USRobotics Wireless Max-G router that had a print server built in. It didn't pass any other functions, but at least you spool a print job to it, never a problem. And that router is about 6 years old!

If have have to continually do this to keep the printer working, it is going to have a short life in this house, especially as my wife has no love for tech that doesn't work right.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening? I haven't changed a thing on the PCs, but the router stops recognizing the printer as such?