• June 15, 2024, 08:09:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can only access my NAS in Media Lounge but not Media Center  (Read 6753 times)

yojang

• Level 1 Member

Hi there,

I bought my unit 2 weeks ago and I have not been able to access my NAS in Vista Media Center.  I am able to watch files that I have copied locally to the Vista PC hosting Media Center.  When I try to add my Buffalo Linkstation Mini (250 GB) in Media Center settings, it says that the files are being added but then I don't see any of the videos in the library, only the ones that I copied locally to the PC.  I have done permanet drive mapping in the Vista PC hosting Media Center and added to the library, but whne I go to the TV I don't see the folder I added. 

When I use 750 in MediaLounge, I am able to see my Buffalo NAS running Twonkymedia server and can see the picture/videos, but not in Media Center.   

Does anyone know if I need to do anything on the Windows side to enable this?    I have enabled the Media service in Windows firewall and enable Media sharing.

I still have some issues Forwarding/Rewinding videos when I use Medialonge/Media Center, but that would be another topic.  I just wanted to let you guys know that this device , I think, still has some issues, even after installing firmware 1.02. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Joe

Arvald

• Level 3 Member
Re: Can only access my NAS in Media Lounge but not Media Center
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »

In media center have you aded the mapped drive to folders to watch in the library setup?

If I remember right you tell it that it is a folder on "this computer" since it is a mapped drive.

I have given up on media center since it is little too slow for my liking and I just use media lounge.

I seem to remember something about there being a library update in the extender itself but I have not played with that.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »

This is a limitation of Microsoft's extender feature. It does not allow indexing of network drives. You will find the Microsoft has limited some feature from MCE when using an extender. You will see this on Xbox360 if using the extender function as well.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

yojang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »

In media center have you aded the mapped drive to folders to watch in the library setup?

If I remember right you tell it that it is a folder on "this computer" since it is a mapped drive.

I have given up on media center since it is little too slow for my liking and I just use media lounge.

I seem to remember something about there being a library update in the extender itself but I have not played with that.

I have done a drive mapping and it does not even see it when I select a folder in the local PC.  Hoewever, if I select "A folder in another computer" it find my NAS shared folder but it won't register the files.  It look like it is adding them but it is not.

yojang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:58:26 PM »

This is a limitation of Microsoft's extender feature. It does not allow indexing of network drives. You will find the Microsoft has limited some feature from MCE when using an extender. You will see this on Xbox360 if using the extender function as well.

If this is a limitation on Microsoft's side, I can deal with it by using my device in medialounge mode.  Medialounge is perfect for me, since I don't have to have a Windows PC running to get my videos/pictures.  I get them right from my DLNS NAS.  However, it is really inconvenient when you can't create a playlist or even FF/RW in Medialounge.  Is this something that will be added in a future firmware release?  Perhaps it is something that can be done and I am not aware of.  If this can be done, would you please provide me any info as to how to create a playlist of videos/music so my I can play it while in medialounge mode?  Also, if possible, a way to convert all my non playable AVI movies to the avi format that supported my my DSM 750.  Your help will be appreciated.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »

The DSM-750 does not support video playlists. Music playlists can be created in Windows media player 11. The DSM-750 will support m3u, pls, and wpl formats.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »

Would be good if the NAS had built in media center