• June 03, 2024, 06:23:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Network USB hard drive +remote access  (Read 4650 times)

ICANSEEYOU7687

• Level 1 Member
Network USB hard drive +remote access
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »

Well this is something I was just toying with.  But i was thinking that it should be possible with some tweaking.

But the DIR 655 can be hooked up to a USB hard drive.  I just got a 1 TB hard drive and USB 2.0 enclosure.  And I want to be able to hook it up to my network.  Using the shareport utility this is easy.  But something that I think would be nice to have, is being able to remotely access the hard drive that is connected to my router.

So basically I have to connect to my router remotely and then use the shareport utility.  The only thing that comes to mind is some sort of VPN.  Is there an easy way to do this or a standard way? any ideas? thanks!

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
Re: Network USB hard drive +remote access
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:44:04 AM »

Hi,

I would suggest you get an external enclosure with an Ethernet connection rather than using a USB enclosure.  Then you set the drive up as a "typical" NAS device....rather than being stuck with Shareport's limitations.

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

ICANSEEYOU7687

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:49:12 AM »

haha well I already ordered everything, the only outputs it has is usb 2.0 and esata

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:53:04 AM »

Hi,

Depending on where you ordered it...maybe you cancel that item and select a different one...  Again...just my 2 cents...maybe somebody else has a different opinion....

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

ICANSEEYOU7687

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:10:14 AM »

the only problem is that I have some very specific requirements for the enclosure.  one of the more important ones is that it has a fan, and a very quiet fan.  This is something that I want to leave running almost all the time, and I cannot do that without a fan.

One of the highest causes of hard drive failures is do to heat.  the enclosure that I have meets my requirements.  And the only one on newegg that would meet the ethernet out was said to be loud, couple people had DOA's and said the fan was not quiet.

so if i cant get this to work its no big deal, it would just be nice

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:43:53 AM »

To your question, currently the DIR-655 can't do it, only share a USB harddrive over the network as USB over TCP/IP (one client at a time). Better choice is to get a real NAS, like the Buffalo LinkStation Pro (single drive, silent, won't break your wallet, web access, ability to poweron by demand etc). As for what you said you got, I've bought a Transcend 35U enclosure, it works well and silently for my purpose.

ICANSEEYOU7687

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:49:03 AM »

so something similar to using IPsec vpn could not let me connect to my network and then wouldnt running the shareport utility be able to find the drive?

Although I dont think i will go this route.  ahaha i dont need it that bad just thought it would be fun to have

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »

well indeed, theoretically I think that will work, but why go through the trouble. Running a FTP/HTTP for the path of the Shareport drive is another try :D. Well, the NETGEAR WDR3700 can do webaccess though and same for the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, they both have a real NAS implementation (Windows Share) and they both faster than the DIR-655 and Linksys WRT-610, albeit at only around 10MB/s.