• June 15, 2024, 04:43:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NAS Newbie - How to use USB port of DNS-345  (Read 4971 times)

BrianTK

• Level 1 Member
NAS Newbie - How to use USB port of DNS-345
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »

Just bought DNS 345 for my small home network. I read from the manual that a printer or another hd can be connected.I am completely new to this.

1.Can both printer and hd be connected thru a usb dock?
2. Can the usb hd be NTFS formatted I have NTFS hd which I would liked to be shared?
3. Is data transfer between the usb hd and the hard disks in the NAS enclosure 2 way ie like I currently do with a hd connected to the router which can transfer data 2 way with the other connected PC;s.
4 And can 3 be done by the respective windows(XP, Vista, Win7) on the PC;s in the network.     

Very grateful for any help.

LuisRCA

• Level 1 Member
Re: NAS Newbie - How to use USB port of DNS-345
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »

hello, I understand that the external hd, usb stick, etc must be formatted in either fat32 or ntfs, regarding the specifications od the product. For some reason Ext2/3/4 linux file systems aren't supported for external usb hardisks. The internal disks work with Ext4. Sorry I can't help you more, I am also a newbie!  :P

HunterGeo

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »

I've had a DNS-345 for about six months now; hopefully I can answer some of your questions but don't take my answers as gospel. :)

1. I can't see why not.
2. FAT32 or NTFS work. Other file systems (e.g. 'Mac OS Extended') are detectable but not writable.
3. The USB port is for backing up data on the DNS-345 only. (i.e. you can copy - using the web admin backup utility - files from the DNS-345 onto an external hard drive connected via the USB port).
4. Yes; it can be done via the web admin control panel.

an3k

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:53 AM »

I have the latest firmware 1.0.1b09 running and i can use USB-HDDs and USB-Sticks connected to the USB-Port with my computer over LAN.
The USB-HDD is also listed as a network share in the webinterface. I cannot change its settings but all services (CIFS, FTP, NFS and WebDAV) are enabled for it.