• June 15, 2024, 05:05:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Should be no motion event when camera switches to infrared and back  (Read 4385 times)

harrv

• Level 1 Member

The motion detection feature of the camera/software would be much more useful if it didn't register motion every time the camera switches from day to night mode or back again (infrared mode).

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Should be no motion event when camera switches to infrared and back
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »

Disabling motion during the day/night cutover would create a security risk. Someone could simply shut the lights to sneak past the camera without triggering a motion detection event.

I do, however, feel the DCS-932L flips between day/night modes to easily, and there should be a delay to prevent constant flipping during twilight hours.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

harrv

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:16:13 AM »

Disabling motion during the day/night cutover would create a security risk. Someone could simply shut the lights to sneak past the camera without triggering a motion detection event.

I have my camera pointed at my back door and set up to send me an email when motion is detected. I get on average four emails a day (two in the morning and two in the evening) because of infrared switching. In my case this causes a bigger security risk than no email when switching would because all the false positives make me lax in checking those emails. If I had an intruder, I might not know it for quite some time. (I know...that's what an alarm system is for, but the camera could potentially catch someone casing the place through the back window).

Still, unless I'm mistaken, D-Link has shown no signs of monitoring this forum and has not implemented any of our suggestions for as long as the forum has existed, so I'm not sure why we bother.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »

I agree with you that the false positives are an issue. My solution would be to insert a delay before switching between day/night modes (e.g. the light level must stay at a constant level for X seconds before transitioning between modes) to prevent flipping back and forth. This approach would minimize the number of "flips" and perhaps reduce the number of motion events.

An option addressing your particular needs would be to place a check box option "Do not trigger motion detection event when switching between day/night modes". Feel free to post this on the wishlist and I'll add it.

I have it on good authority (and from personal observation) that D-Link is actively in the process of ramping up the forum support staff. We should start seeing more forum activity (in general) in the near future.  ;)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

harrv

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

snav

• Level 1 Member

Cant something be done about this...??
I get about 12 emails when it switches between night and daymode.. it switches a couple of times between both modes.

This is also causing me NOT to check whats happening at home, have no time to download/wiev 72 images...