• June 15, 2024, 06:51:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Bandwidth Drops (BIG TIME) Through Router  (Read 6635 times)

Turk85

• Level 1 Member
Bandwidth Drops (BIG TIME) Through Router
« on: November 19, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »

I've had my DIR-655 for about 6 months. In the last month I started having problems with slow speeds. At first I thought it was my provider. They came out and ran some tests, found a bad coax(replaced) and I found a flaky CAT5 cable(replaced).
I decided to hook my cable modem directly to the main PC. This is what I get...

So I tried a total reset of the router, downgraded firmware, upgraded firmware. I tried several suggestions through the forums here and others. Several reboots of modem, router and I get this..

I'm currently running Firmware Version: 1.34NA  on Hardware Version: A4

One thing I thought was odd...when resetting or rebooting, it takes almost a minute before I can access the router. It's "measuring the gateway".

I'm at a loss... ANY ideas??

Defrag789

• Level 1 Member
Re: Bandwidth Drops (BIG TIME) Through Router
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »

I have a DIR-655 B1 2.00NA.

I'm in the same boat.  Did pretty much the same stuff.  I've tried 3 cable modems, SURFboard SB6120, Arris TM601A, and one the cable guy took with him today.  I got a couple of new cables and hooked everything up same issue.  Tried changing my router to 100meg (WAN Port), my PC nic to 100meg, and verified the modem was running at 100meg (192.168.100.1) same issue.  Reset to OEM ran through the wizard for the first time mind you... same issue.  It should be noted that i'm 300+miles from chicago, however I also have mediacom as my internet provider.  It should also be noted that my mediacom modem the Arris TM601A is currently running DOCSIS 1.0.  My DOCSIS 3.0 modem SB6120 had the same WAN speed issue. 

Does the DIR-655 have a problem with some legacy compatibility on the WAN port?  Please DLINK gods don't forsake me.  I hate returing hardware. 

Defrag789

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215&Tpk=DIR-655

Some good people having problems and don't know to post here.

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »

Maybe you have a bad unit, ISP issues or maybe it is your area.

I have no issues...

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:59:08 PM »

You also picked servers from two different areas which can greatly effect your speeds.  If trying to see difference between two different setup, always try to pick the same server.

The "Measuring the Gateway" is the QOS Engine checking your upload speed.

Defrag789

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »

Very good point.  When I did it I set 2 base lines... Chicago and Atlanta.  I had the same issue with both baselines.

Defrag789

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »

Its sounding like they may have a manufacture defect or DLINK did not regression test the DIR-655.  Either way my plan is to, at the very least, return the hardware if this post does not produce a solution.  I'm willing to try any router configuration, modem swap, etc.  Also I've tried the speed issue out on 2 separate PC's to rule out the NIC card.  I've also tried it on my MAC laptop and XBOX 360 both wireless to rule out a hard wire vs. wireless issue. 

Hope for a quick and easy firmware update.  If a 2.0x beta is available please give it here.

Defrag789

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »

I turned off "Enable DNS Relay" under "Setup" -> "Network Settings".  This bumped my 15meg service up to 5meg which I'm willing to live with... until monday.  Spent over 12 hours looking at this issue, so I think i'm going to relax.  It is Friday after all.

Monday I'll contact newegg and let them know i'm in the "35%" of the people who couldn't get this product to work.  See if I can get a refund.  First time I've ever returned anything to newegg. 

Thanks to everyone who responded to the post.  Would like to hear from Turk85 again to see what he/she's figured out. 

Turk85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »

You also picked servers from two different areas which can greatly effect your speeds.  If trying to see difference between two different setup, always try to pick the same server.

The "Measuring the Gateway" is the QOS Engine checking your upload speed.

I reset the router again and disabled the QOS Engine...

seems to be working better for now...

Turk85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »

Maybe you have a bad unit, ISP issues or maybe it is your area.

I have no issues...

I disabled the automatic upload speed in QOS and set it manualy.  Seems to help a ton.

I'm paying for 12 up 1 down...