• June 04, 2024, 03:45:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Belkin N1 router faster than this router?  (Read 5324 times)

Punisher12

• Level 1 Member
Belkin N1 router faster than this router?
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »

Just got the DGL-4500 today and was extremely excited to get this bad boy running. Today I also got a Rosewill 7dbi indoor antenna for my wireless card since my other one broke. I decided to do a speed test with the new antenna and old Belkin router to be surprised with high download speeds of 16Mbits/sec. I'm the only person in my house that plays games so I wanted to take advantage of a High quality router to provide my bandwidth needs with Gaming, Streaming, and etc. I first ran the CD like your supposed to, the router configured and set up and everything set up with the LAN computer down stairs. Went up stairs and tried connecting to the router with my Wireless and issues started from there. At first I couldn't connect to the router, two hours down the road of unchecking and checking features in the router settings I would finally get connected to be surprised with "Local Only" on my computer. About ANOTHER hour down the road I finally get connected to the internet for it to sometimes work and sometimes not respond at all. As of right now, I can't seem to get this router at all. How come a Old Belkin router would give me higher speeds than this gaming router? I'm only getting 27mbits with modes set to N only. The Belkin even had 2 broken antennas on the top. I just don't understand why this isn't working and I'm at the tip of the iceberg of just RMAing this router to Newegg. The highest speed I have gotten so far is 5mbit on Speed test and it still will bottleneck and quit.

FW is 1.22NA
ISP is Time Warner Cable/Roadrunner Turbo
Using Buffalo N1 Wireless PCI Adapter

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
Re: Belkin N1 router faster than this router?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:54:30 PM »

You can tweak the settings to perfection. I believe you said you connected to the router via wireless? In order to get 300Mbs you must enable Wireless n only in the router setting. Did you take a look at the Gamefuel sticky? Nutz & Tricky Get ova here. :)

--
Chris
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:29:23 AM by LookIntoMyEyees »
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:07:13 AM »

Need to review this link:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1236.0

Unless the router is fairly close and with out to many obstructions, it's better if you want to use N, use the 2.4Ghz band. 5Ghz is a high frequency and subject to much attenuation and objects like walls and doors will effect signal. It's best for line of sight if you really want 5Ghz N mode only.

Like Ol One Eye said, review the Gamefuel sticky for tried and recommended settings. Works well.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Punisher12

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:54:25 AM »

I actually reset the router to default settings and only changed the frequency from 20/40 to just 20 and it works like a charm. On Vista it fluctuates from 54 to 12mbits but at least the issue has been corrected.

I've actually tried just Wireless N and it didn't do anything at the time. When I use 20/40 settings like in the thread, my internet connection slows down massively and hasn't worked well with me.

I will do speed tests later throughout the day so you guys can help me perfect my settings.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:59:10 AM by Punisher12 »

Trikein

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »

" I first ran the CD like your supposed to, the router configured and set up and everything set up with the LAN computer down stairs" The router even came with a CD? Rule of thumb, never use the CD. Not with modems, not with routers, not with printers. All they add is junk. (Nothing personal Dlink, just true in general)

Now lets have a talk on transfer rates, because there is so much confusion on this there is a whole sticky devoted to it. First mistake people make is MB vs Mb. There is 8 bits to a byte, so the 300Mb is Megabit, small B. Thats roughly 37.5 Mega bytes per second. I say roughly because its not direct translation, in both accurcy and process. I won't go into the why, but understand that the 8:1 isnt accurate. Now, that 300Mb is only between two computers, and only when your using N only, 5.8ghz and usually with no security enabled. Also, even if you have a connection rate of 300Mb, that doesn't mean you can transfer information that fast. Thats the FASTEST data can be transfered between the two points, not the adverage. Also you have process times(to render the data to what ever transfer protocal your using) QOS on the router, complex wireless phenonmon..and so on. Think of the 300Mb as the milage you get on your car. A ton of things have to go perfect, and even then your probably not getting it in real life. But that isn't to say it still isn't pretty damn fast.

Like I said before though, thats transfer rates inside your LAN, or from PC to PC. Internet to PC is a completly different story. That speed is limied by some of the same things that limit PC to PC, but a ton of other stuff too. The QoS cap imposed by your ISP mostly. Also the site your using to test, AV software your PC, time of day, distance from telco(DSL) amount of people on node, and so on. But your doing a comparsion, so I won't go into all that.

As for your connection issue, I need to know more about your configuration. First, I would say go wired to the router, and check your speeds there. That will let us know wether to focus on the WAN to LAN or wireless issues from PC to LAN. If wired is fast and wireless is slow, whats your signal strength on the Dlink compared to the belkin. That will tell us to look at either 1st or 2nd layer (ingress,radio, channel, etc) or 3-5th (security, QoS, firewall, etc). I love a good chalange, just let us know.

Trikein

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »

Oooooh..I found a really heavy whitepaper on 20 vs 20/40.

http://www.deviceforge.com/articles/AT5096801417.html

In a nutshell: if you have more then two antenna on your router and and adapter, and its not line of sight, use 20mhz. Sooooo much more complicated then that..so much so It might take me a day or two to understand it all..yayyy..I like learning.