• June 16, 2024, 06:17:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Timeout on Internet Sessions  (Read 3673 times)

Trikein

Timeout on Internet Sessions
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:56:20 AM »

A new little quirk popped up recently. After setting my DNS to static and turning off DNS relay to fix the name discovery delay of ICMP packets, I started seeing separate internet sessions being set up for each DNS request. They all have the local IP of my private LAN address, a NAT of my modems public WAN IP address, and "internet" of either one of my DNS addresses. I know that isn't abnormal, but what I don't understand is the Timeout. It defaults to 300. That seems like a very long time for something that responds in 30-40ms. Is there anyway to adjust this? Would turning the priority down to those IP's adjust the time out? See what happens is I am seeing my router is having a hard time when I try to host a game for more then 10 players. If I power cycle my router though, It works alot better. I know resetting the router clears all active internet sessions, so that would explain it. Anyone have any ideas?

Trikein

Re: Timeout on Internet Sessions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »

Well I spoke with a few people, and they suggested I update the firmware.  Runing 1.15 now, and pretty happy with it except for this tiny glitches. Also, spoke with someone that is way above even my moderate skill level, and thinks the DNS glitchs is probably inherent in firmware design, and I am possibly seeing the work around fix employed. ::shrug:: That was speculation based on the limited info I gave him..so who knows. Either way, to be honest, I might take this time to try out OpenWRT on Linksys router, see if I can isolate what is the router, and what is problems else where in my network. Always been a D-link fan boy, but as my knowledge increases, I see more and more how useful having full control over the firmware can be. I will post later when I hook the dlink back up and come to any conclusions. Thanks everyone for the help. Take it easy.

vlj9r

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 06:51:55 AM »

why not take the plunge and give the latest firmware, 1.22 a try.  You can always use the 1.15 download version to get back to 1.15 and then re-install the dlink version of 1.15.  I did that when my first upgrade to 1.22 caused many reboots.  I solved the re-boot problem by doing a factory restore on 1.15 and them applied 1.22 upgrade.  Instead of loading the old config file, I re-entered all my settings manually.  So far everything is good but I'm not a heavy wireless user. I'm lucky that I was able to wire most of the house so I also have an 8 port gigabit switch connected to my 4500.

Trikein

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »

I have looked at the firmware release notes. They don't address my issue. I would rather have a device that I can just fix rather then depend on someone else noticing it and applying a patch. Im just going to put it on the back burner and play with other toys. Thanks for the info though.