• June 17, 2024, 04:56:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NFS and VMware ESX  (Read 25162 times)

wirespy

• Level 1 Member
NFS and VMware ESX
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:06:45 AM »

Well, nice NFS support - I thought it would be fun to see if I could map it to an ESX server I had and it WORKS - I'm able to storage vmotion to it and the performance isn't too shabby for one VM - I'll test it out some more and report later! KOOLIO!

still can't mount nfs to MAC OSX 10.6.2 though :(

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: NFS and VMware ESX
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »

You got my attention.  Are you using jumbo frames on the 323 and in your network environment?  If so, how big is your MTU?  Also, how are your vSwitches & vmknic(s) set up?  Do you have any shots from the performance tab in vSphere?

wirespy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 09:12:35 PM »

I tried Jumbo frames but this option doesn't seem to stick or work from the DNS-323 for me... I'm simply using 1500 standard MTU and I've had several VMs running from 2 esx hosts in my home lab with no problem since my original post on Dec 9th...

rp2000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:00:58 AM »

Hi,

I just installed the 1.08 FW on my DNS-323 today and installed the NFS package and am having all sorts of issues :(  Once I installed the package, all I did was start the NFS server from the add-ons section of the web gui.  I cannot see any options to customize it etc.

I am interested in connecting the DNS to my ESXI 4.0 server as well and am wondering how you managed this.

I own a Windows XP box, a Mac OSX 10.6.2 laptop and the ESXi server.

Mac: Not getting anywhere with the mapping NFS share (Managed to get Disk Utility to mount it, but I cannot copy any files to it and it shows 0kb available in finder).  Used this post by you to get it showing up under Network, but can't copy any files to it ( http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9571.msg56740#msg56740)
XP: installed the Services For Unix Package for Windows and same, not getting anywhere, tried mapping as a normal share and I get errors.
ESXi: The wizard to add storage seems self explanatory for server I put in the IP, for folder I put in "/mnt/HD_a2", and for datastore I just use a name of my choice, and I get an error about NFS server denying the mount request"

I see from your screenshot that you are connected to "/mnt/HD_a2/VMWare"  Is the "VMWare" share/folder created by specifying it as the datastore name, or had you previously created this folder on the NAS via SMB or an NFS connection from another system?

Edit:

I have added a share now but still no joy.  My router is 192.168.0.1, the DNS-323 is .2 and the ESXi is .100  Have I got the right settings above to give full r/w access to anyone?

Edit 2: IT WORKED WITH THE ABOVE SETTINGS!!
Edit 3: Have to re-add the share each time the dns-323 is rebooted :(
You can e-mail me at gmail.com (username here is my mail alias) or you can reply here.

Thanks in advance.

rp2000
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:53:49 AM by rp2000 »

ptzdodge

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 05:26:37 AM »

Thanks for the info.

After installing the 1.08FW (up from 1.06) on my 323 and then activating the NFS Add-On, I successfully added a Datastore to both my 3.5 and 4.0 ESXi VM Systems for use.

When adding NFS storage to ESXi, you need to use the internal IP Address of your DNS as well as the direct path to the Volume so for example I used /mnt/HD_a2/Datastore with Datastore being the name of the folder that I created on Volume 1 (HD_a2) for use by both the 3.5 and 4.0 VM's. I also added an NFS Share (in the DNS's UI) using the main ESXi's IP Address to ensure connectivity and so far so good.

wirespy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »

I've been running my DNS-323 on my ESXi 4.0 server for 1 month with NFS and several VMs running on it full time. I've rebooted the DNS-323 a few times and the config always sticks. here is screens of my setup...

#1 - Create directory on DNS-323 - I used 'VMware'. For HOST, add subnet of DNS and ESX server - mine is 192.168.1.0/24 which trusts any connections coming from this network to the NFS share. Add the share path 'Volume_1/VMware' - case sensitive. It shows the REAL path once created - take note of this for next step.

#2 - On ESX server, ADD STORAGE as NFS and enter the DNS-323 IP address - my ip is 192.168.1.10. Add the REAL path to the storage directory you previously created - mine is '/mnt/HD_a2/VMware' - again case sensitive. Give it a datastore name - I used 'NFS1'. Done.

#3 - Once you migrate or create VMs on ESX to the new 'NFS1' storage device you just created, you can browse the DNS-323 and see the VM folders and contents...

#4 - You will also see that the VM is attached to the 'NFS1' datastore via the ESX client or vCenter client by looking at the VM Summary.

CRAIGH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:30:05 PM »

Hey Wirespy, all - did you make any modifications in ESXi?   I have basically the same setup except for ESXi build is higher ( 219382) and IP differences etc. and I am getting the error that you can not mount --
Unable to Mount filesystems: The NFS server doesn not support MOUNT version 3 over TCP.

Seen some literature around about adding things in manually and wondering if you did that as it doesnt seem like you changed ESXi at all.
I have DNS-323 version 'a' with their 1.08 firmware - no changes.
2 Disks in RAID 1.

cheers -
Craigh
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:05:50 PM by CRAIGH »

pceasar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »

I dont have the NFS option in 1.08

TimN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:47:43 AM »

I dont have the NFS option in 1.08

Did you download the NFS add-ons? If so did you "start" the NFS in the "add-on" tab which you should now have under 1.08?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:51:29 AM by TimN »

beefert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »

I have an issue after upgrading to 1.08 with NFS, the addon simply doesn't work at all. My ESX server is unable to connect to the NFS server addon running on the DNS-323 at all.

I had this working with funplug4 (sort of). ESX saw the NFS datastore and was able to connect to it. I also verified that the ESX server was able to write to the volume by creating some test folders. However, I had a problem with the server not being able to see anything on the NAS. I could create folders an directories, but was unable to see or browse through them after making them. If I connect using CIFS/Samba, I see the folders there.

I thought I would circumvent the issue by installing 1.08 firmware (was running 1.07) with the addon support of NFS. Reset to all factory defaults (setting up raid again was a complete nightmare because it kept telling me the disks were installed out of order - had to format them individually and was lucky I had no data on it), got raid backup, installed NFS addon, pressed the start button next to the addon entry and now nothing. ESX will not even connect to the NFS server. I have it cofigured witht he same IP as before. Has anyone else seen this problem with NFS addon and 1.08? Error message I get is the following:

---------------------------
Error
Error during the configuration of the host: NFS Error: Unable to Mount filesystem: Unable to connect to NFS server
OK   

beefert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »

I have an issue after upgrading to 1.08 with NFS, the addon simply doesn't work at all. My ESX server is unable to connect to the NFS server addon running on the DNS-323 at all.

I had this working with funplug4 (sort of). ESX saw the NFS datastore and was able to connect to it. I also verified that the ESX server was able to write to the volume by creating some test folders. However, I had a problem with the server not being able to see anything on the NAS. I could create folders an directories, but was unable to see or browse through them after making them. If I connect using CIFS/Samba, I see the folders there.

I thought I would circumvent the issue by installing 1.08 firmware (was running 1.07) with the addon support of NFS. Reset to all factory defaults (setting up raid again was a complete nightmare because it kept telling me the disks were installed out of order - had to format them individually and was lucky I had no data on it), got raid backup, installed NFS addon, pressed the start button next to the addon entry and now nothing. ESX will not even connect to the NFS server. I have it cofigured witht he same IP as before. Has anyone else seen this problem with NFS addon and 1.08? Error message I get is the following:

Error
Error during the configuration of the host: NFS Error: Unable to Mount filesystem: Unable to connect to NFS server
OK  

This is the screenshot from my NFS setup page. I also tried to mount the dir from my VM linux box I get the following error now:
mount.nfs 192.168.4.15:/mnt/HD_a2/vmfsnas /home/[username]/nasbox/ -w -o nolock
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.4.15:/mnt/HD_a2/vmfsnas
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM by beefert »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »

Do you still have fun plug installed by chance? If so you may want to remove it as it may be conflicting with our NFS package.

beefert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »

Do you still have fun plug installed by chance? If so you may want to remove it as it may be conflicting with our NFS package.

No, at the time of the post, I did remove funplug and set the unit back to factory defaults before installing the add-on. I've given up on getting it to work. I think my next move is to migrate to esx 4.0, but I don't have the 64 bit hardware (requirement for running 4.0) yet.

diver6237

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 04:29:33 AM »

Hello,

Managed to get this working after struggling with it initially (i.e. connection refused etc). Here's my environment:

1)   ESXi 4.0.0 Environment #1 - Build 244038 (patched using vSphere Host Update Utility)
        a.   IP Address: 192.168.2.93
        b.   HDD (Datastore): 320Gb x 1 (vmfs3)

2)   ESXi 4.0.0 Environment #2 - Build 171294 (no patch applied)
        a.   IP Address: 192.168.2.98
        b.   HDD (Datastore 1  & 2): 160Gb x 2 Disks (vmfs3)

3)   DNS-323 with FW 1.08, D-Link NFS add-on v1.0 & Fonz Fun_Plug (not sure which version)
        a.   IP Address: 192.168.2.7
        b.   HDD Configuration:
                i.   1 x 750Gb WDC, Raid-1, Volume_1
                ii.   1 x 500Gb Samsung, JBOD, Volume_2

4)   Using Telnet (from the fun_plug), I had pre-created a directory on my DNS-323 as such:

/ # cd /mnt/HD_a2
        /mnt/HD_a2 # mkdir datastore93                   ==> to be mounted on ESXi environment #1

5)   On the DNS-323, I did the following:
        a.      Download the D-Link NFS add-on (v1.0),
        b.      Install the add-on and start it up
        c.      Navigate to NETWORK ACCESS option and choose NFS option
        d.      Host ==> 192.168.2.0/24                        (my own test configuration)
        e.      Folder ==> /Volume_1/datastore93           (my own test configuration)
        f.       Permission ==> Read/Write
        g.      Root Squash ==> NO

6)    From ESXi (I'm using vSphere Client), CONFIGURATION tab, STORAGE option, ADD STORAGE option:
        a.      Select NETWORK FILE SYSTEM,
        b.      Server ==> 192.168.2.7                          (IP address for my DNS-323)
        c.      Folder ==>  /mnt/HD_a2/datastore93
        d.      Datastore Name ==> datastore93             (can be any name you choose i.e. nfs1, etc)

7)     The NFS mount point should be mounted and visible under the list of datastores.

As mentioned, I initially had lots of trouble setting this up but here's what I've discovered:

a) ESXi version Build does not matter. In my case, I have builds 244038 & 171294 and both worked.

b) Having the Fonz Fun_Plug (FFP) installed was not a factor either. What I did was, make sure that I did not already have the Fun_Plug version of UNFSD running. I did the following steps (assuming that the D-Link NFS add-on has already been installed):

i.    Stop the NFS add-on process via the DNS-323 Admin console.
     ii.    Remove the ffp directory & fun_plug executable (located on /mnt/HD_a2 or \\dns-323\Volume_1\)
     iii.   Restart DNS-323 & copy the FFP back to the \\dns-323\Volume_1.
     iv.   Reboot the DNS box.
     v.   Telnet to the DNS box and do a  ps -f | more 
     vi.   Ensure that there's no [nfsd] or [unfsd] process running.
     vii.  Restart the NFS add-on process via the DNS-323 Admin console (and setup as describe earlier i.e. steps 5 & 6 above).

c) After all the above has been done, I had intermittent issues (i.e. connection refused) but after rebooting the DNS and ESXi boxes and retrying, I was able to do an NFS mount.

Hopefully this helps.

diver6237

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 04:37:02 AM »

BTW,

My ESXi HW environments are:

1) Dell Optiplex GX620 Desktop (P4 with 4Gb RAM) running ESXi 4.0.0 Build 171294
2) ACER Aspiure 4920 Notebook (Core 2 Duo with 4Gb RAM) running ESXi 4.0.0 Build 244038

HTH