• April 24, 2019, 01:19:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 Other Uses  (Read 774 times)

Just Another Joe

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Other Uses
« on: November 14, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »

Hello, World.  I have not used my D-Link DNS-323 NAS in several years, as it just can't compare to my Synology NAS's.

The DNS-323 is a small, light-weight (at least without drives) Linux box.  Has anyone had any thoughts about other uses that it could be put to, besides as a NAS?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • New DIR-890L Router with SmartConnect™ Technology
Re: DNS-323 Other Uses
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 02:02:57 PM »

You can use it as a file server or media streaming server. I use my NAS for file storage, some back up and one drive has media files on it for streaming.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

Just Another Joe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »

Those are the things I use my Synology boxes for; typical NAS type things.  I was wondering if the D-Link could be repurposed for some other use, eg. as a Linux box for some purpose, perhaps even without any drives--or does it have to have at least one drive for the Linux system?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • New DIR-890L Router with SmartConnect™ Technology
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »

Not sure if thats possible.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 04:05:50 PM »

To change its function from a NAS box to something else requires either third party applications loaded on top of the existing firmware or you would have to write a completely new firmware to support what you want to do.

You also need to remember this is a low power ARM processor based box, unlike the Intel powered Synology boxes.

I have to admit that I have has my 4 DNS-323 boxes since they first became available running 24/7/365 in a cupboard in my home office.  2 of them backup documents the other 2 backup my photos.  The only thing that would make me consider changing then would be a small lightweight box that had hardware RAID rather than the standard software RAID  of all small and SOHO NAS boxes.

As an aside you might consider donating your unused DNS-323 box to a small charity that could use it.

Sorry this isn't much help to you.

Just Another Joe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »

Hi Ivan, that's good information.  And yes, I think my DNS-323 will be sold/donated.