D-Link Wireless Routers for Home and Small Business > DIR-878

ideas for debugging 5Ghz dropouts?

(1/5) > >>

afa3:
[ Thread summary: the DIR-878 works fine with many of my devices, but not my ASUS TM-AC1900/RT-AC68U bridge. Both work fine with other, slower devices. 99% of the time they work OK together, but that's not good enough for streaming video. I tried a lot of experimenting and wasn't able to find a specific reason or a solution. ]

I have a new DIR-878 that frequently drops the 5Ghz connection for several seconds at a time. This is the second unit I've had. I exchanged the first one for the same reason, and the new one is the same - so it doesn't seem to be bad hardware. I've tried everything I can think of with no improvement. Unless someone here has some ideas, this one is going back also.

I notice that MrTriTanium reported issues that sounded similar on his PS4 topic, but no discussion or resolution.

The DIR-878 is replacing an existing AC1200 router that works fine.

I'm in the midwest US. ISP is Spectrum. Cable modem is a Motorola SB6141. I've also tested with no WAN at all, no change.

The DIR-878 is the AP going to an ASUS TM-AC1900 set up as a bridge. Both have up-to-date firmware. AP and bridge are on separate floors, 30 feet apart or so. The bridge shows the DIR-878 signal strength as 5 bars. I'm in a residential neighborhood. The bridge shows no other strong 5Ghz APs nearby. Usually 1-3, all one bar. No other sources of interference that I know of. We have a wireless phone, but it's DECT 6.0 - 1.9Ghz.

The dropouts seem random. Streaming HD MPEG2 video from a local tuner or recording across the 5Ghz typically drops out 2-10 seconds every 5-30 minutes.

The existing AP router never has a problem, but it's connecting at a lower rate.

DIR-878 firmware is now 1.01B04. The same problem occurred with 1.00 and 1.02B01.

Smart Connect is turned off. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz have different, non-default SSIDs. 2.4Ghz is turned off for testing, same issue either way.

I've tried:
- N only and AC only
- channel width 20/40 vs. 20/40/80
- auto channel selection
- multiple manual channel selections, avoiding the channels found on the bridge scan
- changing AP position a little
- changing AP and bridge antenna orientations
- turned off anything that didn't seem to matter
- other apps/devices on the bridge side

None of the changes made a difference. Also tried medium tx power - no connection at all in that case.

I tried a couple of other client wireless devices. An old 300N bridge seem stable, but at a much lower transmission rate of course. A Dell/Intel laptop also seemed to have occasional issues, but I couldn't set up a similar streaming test over a long period.


GreenBay42:
Do you have any 5GHz clients connected to the DIR-878 or is the drop connection issue only happening when connecting clients to the Asus bridge?

Do all clients (2.4 and 5ghz) when connecting to the bridge drop connection?

Do clients that connect directly to the 878 router drop?

FurryNutz:
Link>Welcome!

Does the same thing happen if you enable Smart Connect?

When SC is disabled, try manual Channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz then try manual channels on 5ghz.



--- Quote from: afa3 on January 15, 2018, 05:55:27 PM ---I have a new DIR-878 that frequently drops the 5Ghz connection for several seconds at a time. This is the second unit I've had. I exchanged the first one for the same reason, and the new one is the same - so it doesn't seem to be bad hardware. I've tried everything I can think of with no improvement. Unless someone here has some ideas, this one is going back also.

I notice that MrTriTanium reported issues that sounded similar on his PS4 topic, but no discussion or resolution.

The DIR-878 is replacing an existing AC1200 router that works fine.

I'm in the midwest US. ISP is Spectrum. Cable modem is a Motorola SB6141. I've also tested with no WAN at all, no change.

The DIR-878 is the AP going to an ASUS TM-AC1900 set up as a bridge. Both have up-to-date firmware. AP and bridge are on separate floors, 30 feet apart or so. The bridge shows the DIR-878 signal strength as 5 bars. I'm in a residential neighborhood. The bridge shows no other strong 5Ghz APs nearby. Usually 1-3, all one bar. No other sources of interference that I know of. We have a wireless phone, but it's DECT 6.0 - 1.9Ghz.

The dropouts seem random. Streaming HD MPEG2 video from a local tuner or recording across the 5Ghz typically drops out 2-10 seconds every 5-30 minutes.

The existing AP router never has a problem, but it's connecting at a lower rate.

DIR-878 firmware is now 1.01B04. The same problem occurred with 1.00 and 1.02B01.

Smart Connect is turned off. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz have different, non-default SSIDs. 2.4Ghz is turned off for testing, same issue either way.

I've tried:
- N only and AC only
- channel width 20/40 vs. 20/40/80
- auto channel selection
- multiple manual channel selections, avoiding the channels found on the bridge scan
- changing AP position a little
- changing AP and bridge antenna orientations
- turned off anything that didn't seem to matter
- other apps/devices on the bridge side

None of the changes made a difference. Also tried medium tx power - no connection at all in that case.

I tried a couple of other client wireless devices. An old 300N bridge seem stable, but at a much lower transmission rate of course. A Dell/Intel laptop also seemed to have occasional issues, but I couldn't set up a similar streaming test over a long period.

--- End quote ---

afa3:
Thanks for the replies.

Normally the ASUS bridge is the only 5GHz client. I'm streaming from local devices wired to the DIR-878 to devices wired to the ASUS bridge.

I've only connected one 5GHz client at at time, so I don't know what happens if there are multiple 5Ghz clients. I'll try that when I have time.

I've had multiple 2.4GHz clients at the same time as the 5Ghz client, but I haven't watched what happens on the 2.4GHz side at all. Lately I've just turned off the 2.4GHz side while testing.

I tested a N300 bridge as a 5Ghz client (alone), which seemed stable.

I briefly tested a laptop as a direct 5Ghz client (alone). That seemed to have have occasional drops and rough patches but I haven't tried to reproduce that.


--- Quote from: GreenBay42 on January 16, 2018, 07:35:17 AM ---Do you have any 5GHz clients connected to the DIR-878 or is the drop connection issue only happening when connecting clients to the Asus bridge?

Do all clients (2.4 and 5ghz) when connecting to the bridge drop connection?

Do clients that connect directly to the 878 router drop?

--- End quote ---

I believe the same thing happened with SC enabled when I first set it up. One of the first things I tried was turn that off and split the SSIDs.

I've tried many channel settings on 5GHz.

Haven't played with the 2.4GHz settings, but also haven't seen a problem with 2.4Ghz.


--- Quote from: FurryNutz on January 16, 2018, 08:02:28 AM ---Link>Welcome!

Does the same thing happen if you enable Smart Connect?

When SC is disabled, try manual Channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz then try manual channels on 5ghz.

--- End quote ---

FurryNutz:
Please try SC enabled again with the NetGear bridge. Then test the ASUS Bridge.

Is there any MU-MIMO options on this router? If there are, try to disable them as well and test.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version