D-Link Forums

The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported => D-Link Storage => DNS-323 => Topic started by: jeth on September 24, 2010, 10:41:09 AM

Title: Erratic permission
Post by: jeth on September 24, 2010, 10:41:09 AM
I recently decided to try setting up permissions for my volumes and some specific folders on my DNS-323.

I set up one group and two users withing that group.  Then I assigned read access to the volumes; one accessible by a specific user and the other by the group containing both users.

When I first tried to access these segments from my 64-bit Vista desktop, I was prompted for a user and password with the user/groups listed in the pulldown menu.  Access was granted when I entered the proper password.

The next time I tried to connect to any of these segments from the desktop, I was granted immediate access without being provided any user/password panel.

And to make matters worse, when I tried to access anything from my laptop running XP SR3, I was unable to access anything.  I was presented the user/password panel, but the user area was greyed out and filled in with the device name and Guest.  None of the passwords assigned were accepted.

I even tried adding a user of Guest but the XP machine still doesn't get any user list to select from.

So there seem to be two problems: first no prompt on Vista after the first time, and no access from XP at all.


OK, in the hopes that it may help others, I managed to find the answer to one of the problems.  Apparently once you gain access by entering a proper userid/password combination, you retain that access until you restart your OS.  Just closing whatever path you may have had to your network device doesn't cause you to lose ygour connection status.


Now, something new to add:   I decided to go back and delete all users and groups and reassign everything after I upgraded my firmware from 1.07 to 1.09.   But whereas I saw a list of access assignments under Network Access before, I don't see such a list anymore even though the assignments seem to work OK (still not on the XP machine, however).


I should have spent more time searching for other similar topics with respect to the missing access list.
Someone else posted that it was missing under Firefox buyt not under Chrome. 

So I decided to try Opera and the list came up again.  In fact everything came up a lot faster, too.

Then I tried IE, and the list was present there, too, but every page took a lot longer to load.
Title: Re: Erratic permission
Post by: gunrunnerjohn on September 24, 2010, 10:50:39 AM
XP-Home has problems with accounts on the DNS-323. :)
Title: Re: Erratic permission
Post by: jeth on September 24, 2010, 11:21:52 AM
Thanks for response....

My laptop has XP Pro (the desktop where everything was set up is 64-bit Vista).

Title: Re: Erratic permission
Post by: gunrunnerjohn on September 24, 2010, 01:48:35 PM
Turn off simple sharing on the XP machine.  Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options.