D-Link Forums

D-Link Wireless Routers for Home and Small Business => Information => Archive => Topic started by: L2Junnex on May 18, 2007, 08:01:30 PM

Title: Wireless Interference
Post by: L2Junnex on May 18, 2007, 08:01:30 PM
How does wireless interference from a cordless phone affects a wireless computer's wireless connection with a wireless router???

-  People calling to D-Link for Technical Support with wireless connection issues and 90% of them are using cordless phones as they make the call and will not believe if you tell them that it could be their cordless phone (mostly 2.4GHz) that is causing the problem but they will insist they had it working before for years now and they use the cordless phones and post no problem to their wireless computers

How is this true???  Is it true that 2.4GHz wireless routers are resistant also to 2.4GHz wireless radio interference???

Basing on my troubleshooting experience even changing the wireless channel doesn't help if the caller is still holding on to his 2.4GHz cordless phone while connecting the wireless comptuer to the wireless network of their 2.4GHz wireless router.  My basic work around is to have the caller switch to a non-cordless phone or a regular corded phone, have them turn off the cordless phone (The base and the handset) and restart the wireless computer then retry the connection and 90% of them are successful (the remaining 10% may have other issues)

Any other work arounds?  You are free to share them to me here :) for me to help other people with the same problem.
Title: Re: Wireless Interference
Post by: TQuach on May 21, 2007, 08:19:36 AM
You can try staying away from 2.4Ghz and looking into the 900Mhz and 5.8 Ghz frequency phone. Relocating the router away from the base could be another thing to look into.
Title: Re: Wireless Interference
Post by: TQuach on May 21, 2007, 09:28:26 AM
Uniden phones are known to do this.  Then the next one would be Panasonic phones.  Those two will have a higher chance of interferring with your wifi.  Newer phones say "wifi friendly" on them.
Title: Re: Wireless Interference
Post by: ddwinell on May 21, 2007, 09:33:30 AM
Plantronics are the ones I have seen the most interference from.

Occasionally If you ask them to just go set thier handset down away from the router they will see enough of an inproved signal to get them to switch to a corded phone for the duration of the call, also it will help convince them to go with 900Mhz or 5.8Ghz.
Title: Re: Wireless Interference
Post by: ccontreras on May 21, 2007, 11:03:26 AM
But it is also difficult to ask customers to move the phones or switch to another phone cause they only use the 2.4Ghz phones and have no corded phones available and would have to switch to their cell phones to find out if it is the phone or not.
Title: Re: Wireless Interference
Post by: nrepani_svr_dcanalr on May 21, 2007, 01:01:38 PM
Wireless interference would always be an issue for wi-fi technology products. The only option that we have on our router to correct this problem is by changing channels. I would suggest trying channels 1,6 and 11 as they have a big difference in frequency range. Relocating the router would be the best idea but unfortunately not all customers are willing to do that. I have received calls where interference was so great that turning off their phones will be the only way to get a stable connection. Another problem is when the interference is being caused by another factor like walls, ceiling. your neighbors wireless phone etc. Maybe its time they review the IEEE standards..just my 2 cents :)
Title: Re: Wireless Interference
Post by: AWDL on May 21, 2007, 02:08:25 PM
Everything interferes.

Wireless (Radio) interference even happens with WiFi-friendly devices.

Some wireless devices have been known to interfere with themselves. DWL-2700AP with both antenna screwed on and strapped to a re-enforced concrete wall will get less distance than that same AP with only one antenna screwed on (TX/RX antenna).

The reason the customers have different experiences of interference is because all the environments are different. Even in the same home. That is why you see manufactures listing so many things in their inference list. Some related to the band (2.4 GHz phones), some related to out of band interference (APC, Microwave ovens), and some related to physical signal interference (re-enforced concrete walls, sliding mirrored closet doors).

Please don't be discouraged that one solution doesn't fit all your customers. Trial and error is the only tool they usually have for placement and it isn't until they buy the product that they may learn they can not use it in the manner they wished.
Title: Re: Wireless Interference
Post by: jupiter on May 22, 2007, 04:09:17 PM
Microsoft's top 10 for improving Wifi