The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-655

dir-655 allowing game traffic when it should not be doing so

(1/4) > >>

buach:
hello,

i recently got a dlink dir655.

i have far cry, steam, and stalker installed, and i have not yet opened the ports necessary for these games to work online, but they do!!!!!!!!!

with my old router no game could get near the internet until i forwarded the ports. why is the dlink allowing traffic through? anybody else experienced this?

i have the dmz disabled, upnp is disabled, udp and tcp endpoint filtering are both set to Port And Address Restricted, and no ports have been opened in virtual server, port forwarding or application rules.

as far as i can see this should mean that these games should have their packets stopped at the router, but they are getting out to the games server, and the returning packets are being forwarded straight back to my machine.

is there something that i do not understand about this router? or is there a problem with it.

by the way i am in the uk so i am on the 1.03 firware (most recent). i have reinstalled the firmware about 3 times to check if this makes a difference, and restored all the settings manually each time, and still the same thing happens.

any ideas.

Lycan:
it kinda seems like the UPnP is still enabled......that is odd.
you said you were using 1.03, what about 1.02, same issue?

buach:

--- Quote from: Lycan on July 23, 2007, 12:53:52 PM ---it kinda seems like the UPnP is still enabled......that is odd.
you said you were using 1.03, what about 1.02, same issue?

--- End quote ---

i haven't tried 1.02 to be honest. is there any disadvantage to this firmware before i try it.

i agree that it looks like upnp as well, because if i do a scan of the ports these games use at shieldsup (grc.com) everything is stealthed as long as the games are not running.

i don't even have upnp enabled on windows. don't like it.

buach:
ok, i tested it with firmware 1.02. made sure dmz, upnp, were off and started up far cry multiplayer. connected to the server straight away and displayed the server list, and allowed me to join a server without any probs.

??? ??? ???

AWDL:
Outgoing, I have never had to open up ports for Steam. It could just be that the other games you mention do not require "special applications" or VS either for inbound "replies". Situation Normal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version