• March 29, 2024, 07:01:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Bad ping and speed loss  (Read 6867 times)

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
Bad ping and speed loss
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »

Hey all,

I had a DIR-655 and upgraded to DIR-868L today. I did a few tests and my speed/ping seems less great than with the older router.

DIR-868L gave me between 22-30ms ping and 10mb/s download (my internet speed is now 15mb/s, so I have a 5mb/s loss).

My older DIR-655 gave me a ping around 5-7ms and my download speed was around 8mb/s on a 10mb/s internet speed (2mb/s loss).

Any thing I could tweak to get better results?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:02:17 PM by P01arBear »
DWA-552 Atheros 9.2.0.105 driver w/ ANT24-0230
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Low ping and speed loss
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have? Link> Speed Testing Sites
  • By-pass the main host router and check internet connection by connecting a wired LAN PC directly to the ISP modem to verify connection access and ISP speeds.
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
  • Turn off TrueGigaBit Routing under Setup/Internet/Manual for those routers that have this feature for testing.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable or Disable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) and test under Setup/Internet/Manual. Disable may help with speed performance on higher speed ISP services.
  • Turn on or off DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. The DST setting is only needed in the NA region. Tools/Time.

Please give feedback to the question presented so we can better help you. This is a good router and works well. I'm on my 2nd one.  ;D
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:43:49 PM »

Hardware version: B1
Firmware: 2.01
Region: Canada

ISP: DSL FTTN (http://www.electronicbox.net/en/)
Modem: TP-Link TD-8616 ver 7.0 with latest firmware.

Wired tests: Ping is around 22-30ms, speed gives me 10mb/s but should come around 15mb/s.
Wireles tests: Ping is around 22-27ms, speed gives me near 14-15mb/s. Speed seems perfect in wifi but ping is bad.

I have tested also direct connection to the modem without the router with CAT6 cable, speed and ping are excellent: 15mb/s and ping ranged between 4-7ms.

HERE ARE MY SETTINGS:

Internet
Address Mode: Dynamic IP
MTU: Auto

Network Settings
Enable DNS Relay: Enabled

DHCP Server

Advanced Settings
WAN Port Speed: Auto
UPnP: Enabled
IPv4 Multicast Streams: Disabled
IPv6 Multicast Streams: Disabled

Settings >> Wireless
Security Mode: WPA-Personnal
802.11 Mode: N only on 2.4ghz, N/AC on 5ghz
Wi-Fi Channel: Auto
Transmission Power: Medium
Channel Width: Auto
HT20/40 Coexistence: Enabled

Firewall
Enable SPI IPv4: Disabled
Enable Anti-spoof Checking: Disabled
IPv6 Simple Security: Disabled
IPv6 Ingress Filtering: Disabled
PPTP: Enabled
IPSec (VPN): Enabled
RTSP: Enabled
SIP: Enabled

QOS, Website Filter, Static Routes, Port Forwarding and Dynamic DNS: I have not changed or enabled anything here.

MTU: I have tried to set it manualy to 1492, then 1972. No change in the results.
Turn off TrueGigaBit Routing under Setup/Internet/Manual for those routers that have this feature for testing: This router has no such option.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS: There is no option to turn off QOS.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP: There is no option for this.
Enable or Disable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) and test under Setup/Internet/Manual. Disable may help with speed performance on higher speed ISP services: Again, no such option to turn off.
Turn on or off DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual: Will try.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the routerSetup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives: : I have already done this step.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address: On by default.
If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only under Setup/IPv6: Ok done.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test: Will do the test, but there are no options to set endpoint independent. Apparently this router has alot less advanced options than my old DIR-655. I have already tried to disable firewall and SPI but this did not change the results.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used: I dont do streaming so will no try multi-cast and I have already tried to disable UPNP but this did not change the results.
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced: Again, there are no options to disable WISH in any menu.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed: It is set to auto, but I have tried to set it manualy to 100 since that is my modems limit and this did not change the results.
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. The DST setting is only needed in the NA region. Tools/Time: Done.

To be honest, there are very few advanced settings that can be changed on this router, many of these suggestions are not accessible anymore.

I am still trying to find how to disable QOS, is it possible with this router!?!?!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:03:54 PM by P01arBear »
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »

Now that we know what version of FW and Rev your router is, yes the mentioned suggestions are probably not all valid for your model router. Sorry about that.

You have a Rev B which uses the new UI which differs from the old UI now. Seen here:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=59563.0

• Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
>FW Update Process Or did the router come loaded with V2.01 FW?

As long as you don't put any devices into the QoS sections, QoS will not be used or effect performance. If your not doing this then I presume there maybe an issue with the Rev B router. I presume if you had a Rev A, your experiences would differ and yes, Rev A 868Ls have the similar UI as the 655. I prefer the Rev A over the Rev B.  ::)

One test you could try, hook up the 655 router as the main host router. Ensure your speeds and pings are good there. If so, connect the 868L in wired LAN to LAN AP mode. Turning a router into an AP.
Disable the wireless radio on the 655. Connect wired and wireless to the 868L and test speeds and pings again. Depending if you get same issue. I presume if you do or don't, problem may be with the WAN side of the router...

Seems that both wired and wireless are exhibiting this issue, you may have a faulty router. I recommend that you either return the router to the place of purchase or phone contact your regional D-Link support office and get an RMA.

Let us know how it goes...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:18:01 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
Re: Bad ping and speed loss
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »

When I first went on the router setting page, it had this pop up that said there was a newer firmware and wanted to upgrade, witch I did. I didn't do tests before that.

I just did a factory reset as of now, did more tests, same results again. Seems ping and speed are bad no matter what I try.

Sorry but I'm getting I bit frustrated, just spent like 170$ for this so I expect better results than my DIR 655 and the UI feels like it's made for kids, there are fewer advance settings and that kind of sucks to be honest.

I will be returning the unit tomorrow.

DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:18:38 PM »

Understand the frustrations. I wish Rev As were available to you. Rev As are great routers. Sorry this one didn't work for you.

You might review the DIR-862L as it has the old UI like the 655 does.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »

Hello once again,

I did a few last minute tests before packing up the router. For some reason, my ping went up even with my old router so this was not an issue with the router. Maybe it is the firmware of my modem, so anyway, the ping I can live with if it's maximum around 20-24ms wich is the case for now.

I tested with other wired devices, they had good bandwith (near the 15mbs wich is the objective). So the problem was with my own PC. I then tried to connect with my PC wireless instead of wired; the results we're the same. I then tried disabling my firewall, still no changes and also did many tweaks suggested on different websites found on google with similar issues...Still, nothing changed with every solution i tried.

Finaly, since I had nothing to lose, I did one last test with this old freeware I used back in the days; TCP optimizer (of course I did a backup of my current settings before).

Well...I am happy to report, I gained 5mbs!

I will still be returning the unit because of the firmware is not adapted for power users; firewall settings cannot be changed to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP, encryption cannot be set to force WPA2 and many more settings are not accessible.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:33:42 PM by P01arBear »
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »

Sounds like this was an ISP service issue. Routers depend on good ISP services.

Check out the DIR-862L, it has the old UI. Or get a DIR-868L Rev A from online some place. You can find then on Amazon and fleabay.

Let us know what you get.

Hello once again,

I did a few last minute tests before packing up the router. For some reason, my ping went up even with my old router so this was not an issue with the router. Maybe it is the firmware of my modem, so anyway, the ping I can live with if it's maximum around 20-24ms wich is the case for now.

I tested with other wired devices, they had good bandwith (near the 15mbs wich is the objective). So the problem was with my own PC. I then tried to connect with my PC wireless instead of wired; the results we're the same. I then tried disabling my firewall, still no changes and also did many tweaks suggested on different websites found on google with similar issues...Still, nothing changed with every solution i tried.

Finaly, since I had nothing to lose, I did one last test with this old freeware I used back in the days; TCP optimizer (of course I did a backup of my current settings before).

Well...I am happy to report, I gained 5mbs!

I will still be returning the unit because of the firmware is not adapted for power users; firewall settings cannot be changed to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP, encryption cannot be set to force WPA2 and many more settings are not accessible.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »

Hey,

Has there been a new update or does someone know if it is now possible to force WPA2 encryption only?

Last time I tried on Rev.B we could only set it to automatic, not WPA2 only. If this is now possible, I might just give it a second chance.
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:07:01 AM »

We were hoping you would update us on your previous experiences and posts. Your last post seem to be directed towards your problem being an ISP issue. What was the result of that? You said that you would be returning the Rev B to where you got it from.

If you have Rev B router then the UI doesn't allow WPA2 only I believe. Automatic is where WPA2 will be used depending on your Mfr device support and design. Most devices in the past 8 years or so support WPA2 now.

If you desire the old UI, Check out the DIR-862L, it has the old UI. Or get a DIR-868L Rev A from online some place. You can find then on Amazon and fleabay.

Let us know how it goes.

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 02:13:26 PM »

I did indeed return the unit, so I do not have much to add.

Like I said before, the unit's is well built, no doubt. But I did find the firmware somewhat limited or at least, more limited than the older UI.

As for the speed/ping problem, it was not related to my ISP. The problem was in the Windows registry. I had formated my computer a few weeks back. For some reason, Windows 7 even from a clean install slows down my connection speed and ping. I had to tweak my registry settings with a freeware tool that can be downloaded from many places and it is called; TCP optimizer (created by speedguide).

This fixed everything.

I am thinking of giving the DIR-868L a second shot. I am just not sure what to think of the fact that we cannot force it to WPA2, that seems like a potential security breach from my point of view.

As for the DIR-862L, the ratings and comments of users on internet dont seem very good (I've looked up 3 different websites). That doesn't inspire me give it a try.
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

I presume that not being able to set WPA2 does not post a potential security risk. I presume the function of the Auto is to let the router handle the mode and like I said, if all of your devices support WPA2, then the router WILL use WPA2. The automatic means that it would determine if any of your device don't support WPA2 or AES fully, then it should be able to set the next best mode for those devices that don't support WPA2 and AES.

If your wanting the more advanced granular UI, then see if you can find a Rev A. I enjoy mine.  ;)

P01arBear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »

If only I could find a Rev A, there would be no question and I would buy it, but I can't find any in Canada. I searched a few places, all have Rev.B.

I am not a crypto specialist, but if it is not WPA2 only, doesn't this make it easier for brute force/cracking the network key?
DIR-655 A4 Firmware 1.21

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »

If using WEP. WPA and TPIK and AES are still secure. AES has the best performance over TPIK. WPA and TPIK are for older devices that don't support WPA2 or AES.

Honestly, may be not much call for hacking into mom and pop routers. Not trying to discredit your reasoning, however, lets not be too overly concerned about security. D-Link has to compliy with WiFi standards regarding the handling and operation of WiFi and it's parts. They do comply with them or they would not be able to Mfr routers.  ::)

The Automatic is not going to select a lower security mode if your device supports WPA2 and AES.  ::)

There any ebay or amazon sites that you can see if they have any Rev As? IT was sold up there before Rev B came along.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:43:58 PM by FurryNutz »