• March 28, 2024, 01:00:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-160 Weird Issues (Adapter Hangs, Slow Speed)  (Read 16356 times)

GrovesNL

• Level 1 Member
DWA-160 Weird Issues (Adapter Hangs, Slow Speed)
« on: February 09, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »

I bought one of these last month to connect my desktop to wireless (the landlord wouldn't let me run an ethernet cable through the wall). I've been having an issue where the light would freeze on the adapter, and I would not be able to access any settings through the program menu or on the taskbar.

Any other time it's working the connection speed seems to be dismally slow, despite the router being in the adjacent room in the house. I'm also running my laptop through wireless and it's noticeably faster (this is frustratingly slow).

I'm running Windows 7, and the firmware for the adapter is B2. I only purchased the adapter last month and the problem started occurring recently. It works sometimes when I reconnect the adapter, but it is consistently slower than it really should be.

Anyone else have similar issues and know of any fixes?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 06:13:21 PM by GrovesNL »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DWA-160 Weird Issues (Adapter Hangs, Slow Speed)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Mfr and Model# is the main host router?
  • Which frequency is the adapter connected to on the main host router?
  • What region are you located?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials

PC 3rd Party Security Software Configurations
  • Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
  • Turn off all devices accept for one wired LAN PC while testing.
  • Disable any downloading client software managers, i.e. Torrents or similar.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

denni0302

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:45:16 PM »

I'm no expert on this, but I also had issues with this adapter and the solution was to reinstall Windows 7.
    Other things I tried that you may want to:
    • Try the adapter on your laptop, see if the issues occur on that as well. If it works fine on your laptop, I'd recommend reinstalling/repairing Windows
    • If you are using the drivers that came with the CD, get the latest ones from the D-Link website. If these dont work...
    • ...Go on to the MediaTek website and get the latest RT2870 drivers (the "Wifi chip" on the DWA-160)
    • Update mobo drivers

Good luck!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »

Any status on this?  ???

I bought one of these last month to connect my desktop to wireless (the landlord wouldn't let me run an ethernet cable through the wall). I've been having an issue where the light would freeze on the adapter, and I would not be able to access any settings through the program menu or on the taskbar.

Any other time it's working the connection speed seems to be dismally slow, despite the router being in the adjacent room in the house. I'm also running my laptop through wireless and it's noticeably faster (this is frustratingly slow).

I'm running Windows 7, and the firmware for the adapter is B2. I only purchased the adapter last month and the problem started occurring recently. It works sometimes when I reconnect the adapter, but it is consistently slower than it really should be.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

GrovesNL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »

Any status on this?  ???

Sorry... I had gotten frustrated with it not working at all and just put it away and used internet from my laptop's adapter in the meantime (I've been pretty busy recently). It stopped connecting to my desktop altogether.

I'll try some of the things you suggested and update with how it works out

GrovesNL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Mfr and Model# is the main host router?
Actiontec R1000H
  • Which frequency is the adapter connected to on the main host router?
I'm not sure about this... I can't get the hardware to work at all.
  • What region are you located?
I'm located in Newfoundland... I understand I'm not in the USA, but the Canadian customer support wasn't working at the time of posting this

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers.
Done
  • What wireless modes are you using?
I'm not sure about this
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
I'm not sure about this
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
I'm not sure about this
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
I'm not sure about this
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
I tried different channels before it failed completely
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support DoneAES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
Just my laptop
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
Done
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
No house phones or WiFi APs nearby
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials

Router is in adjacent room on floor

PC 3rd Party Security Software Configurations
  • Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Tried with tech support
  • Turn off all devices accept for one wired LAN PC while testing.
  Tried
  • Disable any downloading client software managers, i.e. Torrents or similar.
  Tried

Note that my laptop connects fine... and sharing internet through my laptop's adapter is incredibly faster than getting internet through the adapter was while it was functional--at this point I'm feeling like there's an issue with the device.

I just tried connecting to wireless on my laptop using the device, and it doesn't seem to be working
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:11:23 PM by GrovesNL »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »

Are you using the latest Drivers available for this adapter from D-Links web site or from the CD? Web site is preferred.
Can you test the adapter in a different PC?

Well there some unanswered questions that you can't seem to answer. We'd need a bit more information. it maybe that the best thing for you to do is to phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. I believe a live phone support person can help you better. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.