• April 19, 2024, 04:02:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: D_Link DIR-655- Any positive reviews with latest firmware version (132NA)?  (Read 28771 times)

_MW7E_

• Level 1 Member

Hello All,

Just want to get everyones opinion/feedback if there are any positive changes with the latest firmware release 132NA? From reading all of the previous posts it seems like there are several issues with the Shareport, and having to reboot the device in order to restore the Shareport functionality. Now in my case I would occasionally use the Shareport but not on a everyday basis. So that being said, is it worth to upgrade to the 132NA firmware build? I'm currently having to reset my router every two, three days in order to restore connectivity(Running FW version 1.21 H/V: A4). So just want to hear everyones feedback on which is the most stable firmware released for the DIR-655. Thanks!!!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: D_Link DIR-655- Any positive reviews with latest firmware version (132NA)?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »

My experience with 1.32NA is very positive: fast, Shareport working 100% on several clients and no other issues in useage. I don't have any of the issues described by some on the board.

I do fear my experience will be labelled by upset users who do have issues... >:(

I did have serious issues with Shareport in 1.2x / software version 1.14. And the performance with 1.2x was not that good. I have revision A2.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »

I was having issues with Shareport not connecting to my printer after flashing to 1.32NA. I've since re-flashed 1.32NA on my 655 and completely redone my setup from scratch. It's been two weeks and so far Shareport is still working. I've never noticed any of the other problems with lockups or disconnects that other users have mentioned. I've always used static IPs though and have DHCP, Advanced DNS and DNS relay disabled. Turning those settings off seems to be the suggested cure for those problems. Keep in mind that once you go to 1.31 or 1.32 you can't go back to 1.2x or earlier. If you weren't having any problems I'd say don't do it. Did your 655 come with 1.21? If you flashed to 1.21 you may want to consider re-flashing it. If you do re-flash, reset to defaults before you flash, don't flash over a wireless connection, and manually enter your config instead of importing it from a saved file. I think that will give you the best chance for a stable setup. Once you get it all configured then save a new config file just in case you ever have to reset it.

_MW7E_

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »

I was occasionally having to power cycle my router just to get it in a working state with the firmware version 1.21. So I decided to upgrade it to firmware 1.32NA since I saw a post from Lycan stating that they have not been able to reproduce the issue in their lab, and a few other positive review once upgrading to newer firmware.

Now that I'm on FW 132NA I'm having to power cycle the router about twice a day just to get back online. After the power cycle (I have DNS relay disabled) I have to manually release/renew my IP address since it’s not showing the ISPs DNS servers. keep in mind all of my client machine have the latest NIC drivers installed. My setup is a basic lan with wireless nothing too sophisticated just a regular setup. I don’t use shareport would like to use in the future. When I flashed my router I was hard wired into the router disabled my AV just in case there is any kind of scanning that can slow the process down or corrupt the upload. I reconfigure all of the settings from scratch not sure what else I can try differently to correct this issue. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

KGB7

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »

Torrents are much slower with 1.32NA then they were with previous firmwares.

Router locked up more often with 1.32NA.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »

1.32 is running smooth for me if I turn off everything and just use it as an access point off of my other router. As a router I had a ton of issues.

jaw_888

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »

Anyone using schedules that cross over midnight or have start times from 12:00 to 12:59 with 1.32.

It doesn't work with 1.21 obviating the entire reason I selected and purchased this router.

_MW7E_

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:11:26 PM »

Update:

I just re download the bin file for the 1.32NA and reflashed it. I left all of the default settings except DNS Relay (disabled it) and enabled wireless and a guest zone. We'll see how long will it last with out having to power cycle. I would hate to disable some of the features that were part of the reason why I purchased it.

No schedules for me I previously was logging the sites visited but not any more trying to keep things simple here dont want to over whelme the device ;D its having difficulty as is with the default settings out of the box. Would Dlink have any kind of tool that captures a memory dump of the router at the time that it crashes? not sure how they would capture logs or details on the crashes and why the router decide to reboot out of no where. Also maybe run some wireshark traces to see the network activity at the time of the issue.

helmnet

• Level 1 Member

I just upgraded my DIR-655 A3 to 1.32NA last week.  I wish I had done a web search and looked on this forum first.  I would have left it alone.  I had very few issues before the upgrade.  Since upgrading to 1.32NA, web access is noticeably slower and I have to reboot the router every couple of days because I loose wired and wireless connection, even to the management interface.  With this release being almost four months old, you would think they would have a new release available by now.

TechGremlin

• Level 1 Member

I have a similar situation to macworth, I'm literally only running the router as a wireless ap and a gigabit switch because as a router it just couldn't handle it, perhaps 4 computers doing basic web browsing and 1 pc doing occasional torrenting was too much to ask.

Reflashing 1.32NA didn't fix any problems I had previously and I never backup/restore settings as I know them all, it had many issues with SharePort as it would not stay connected for more than half an hour at a time.

However after flashing the new beta, stability returned that I haven't seen in a long time, I can only assume it was able to flash properly this time because the firmware was not meant to do anything like that, SharePort is now working correctly and it is rock solid, I still don't use the router for anything more, but the wireless part has improved.

hfournier

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »

I had no problems at all with 1.21. It was set it and forget it.

Since upgrading to 1.32NA, I have to power cycle the router every 1 - 7 days. When I lose connectivity, I can't do anything else to regain it. Tried ipconfig /release and /renew, disabling/enabling the NIC, rebooting the computer... nothing works. I can't even access the router's interface to reboot it. So, the only thing I can do is power cycle it. Then I get my connection back right away.

After reading other threads here, I've done a factory reset and re-flashed 1.32NA and then reconfigured the router manually. Now I wait...

LBJ222

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 12:28:56 PM »

Hello:

1.32NA. SO FAR SO GOOD FOR ME!

I upgraded my DIR-655 today from 1.21 to 1.32NA.  I did this upgrade because I was not able to load my DirecTV apps feature from my DirectTV receiver.  I read that 1.32NA fixed a UPnP bug--so thinking this may fix my DirecTV apps issue, I tried the firmware upgrade to 1.32NA.  

I saved all my router settings before I upgraded and then once I installed 1.32NA and rebooted I reloaded all my saved settings ( mainly because I didn't want to reconfigure all the SSID/Passwords on all my wireless devices). (to save settings BEFORE you upgrade and then reload after wards...go to Tools, Systems, Systems Settings) The whole upgrade took me about 10mins.  Everything is normal and operational.  I have many devices connected to my wireless network...Everything is running perfectly 2 hours into the upgrade.  I am even able to administrate my router from my iMAC using Firefox.

Update 1/30/2010...Now on to 1.33NA  ( I must be crazy after reading all the issues in this blog)
Still no problems with 1.32NA.  However, today I upgraded to latest release, 1.33NA.  As before I was able to reload all my saved router settings once I upgraded to 1.33NA.  All normal and operational as I type. Still heavy wireless traffic in my home with several wireless devices in use constantly to include wireless Mac Time Capsule which frankly really slows down the network when backing up hourly.  ( I fixed this problem by simply scheduling only one backup per day instead of hourly.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:59:52 AM by LBJ222 »

lostindark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »

Torrents are much slower with 1.32NA then they were with previous firmwares.

Router locked up more often with 1.32NA.
After 1.32 went out for several days, I searched the forum and found many positive reviews. So I upgraded from 1.31.

Unfortunately, seems 1.32 firmware has issues with heavy traffic. Each time I downloaded sth with Torrents or eMule, the Router locked up, the connection is really slow, or I can't open other web pages. I have to manually reboot the router to make it working fine.

I waited several months for a new firmware but...

Now I went back to 1.31 and I found it works much better than 1.32.

brink668

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:08:45 AM »

I had no problems at all with 1.21. It was set it and forget it.

Since upgrading to 1.32NA, I have to power cycle the router every 1 - 7 days. When I lose connectivity, I can't do anything else to regain it. Tried ipconfig /release and /renew, disabling/enabling the NIC, rebooting the computer... nothing works. I can't even access the router's interface to reboot it. So, the only thing I can do is power cycle it. Then I get my connection back right away.

After reading other threads here, I've done a factory reset and re-flashed 1.32NA and then reconfigured the router manually. Now I wait...

Ya I have the same issues you are having after being at 1.21.

hfournier

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »

Well... I just had to power cycle the router... it's only been 2 days since I tried reset to factory and re-flash.
Pages: [1] 2 3