• March 29, 2024, 08:59:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DHCP Hell  (Read 4512 times)

zyme

• Level 1 Member
DHCP Hell
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:08:02 AM »

I use the DI-655 as the router for a small office network (less then 10 ppl)

The other day I was asked to enable wireless access for guests to use internet access.

Not wanting passer-by's to access our internal network, I enabled WLAN partition/Guest Zone.

Now without enabling DHCP on the DI655, wifi users cannot get an IP address automatically.

When I enable DHCP on the DI655 it fights with our windows DHCP server, users randomly end up switching ip settings.

So I tried using the DI655 exclusively for DHCP, however users cannot access our DNS server (internal network) and thus can't surf the internet. Setting up external DNS servers in DHCP leaves internal users unable to resolve names to devices on our network.

Any idea's on how this might be reconfigured on the DI655 to work without having to buy new equipment?

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: DHCP Hell
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »

How is the 655 currently connected to your network?
Can you give a small diagram of your network?

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »

I use the DI-655 as the router for a small office network (less then 10 ppl)

The other day I was asked to enable wireless access for guests to use internet access.

Not wanting passer-by's to access our internal network, I enabled WLAN partition/Guest Zone.

Now without enabling DHCP on the DI655, wifi users cannot get an IP address automatically.

When I enable DHCP on the DI655 it fights with our windows DHCP server, users randomly end up switching ip settings.

So I tried using the DI655 exclusively for DHCP, however users cannot access our DNS server (internal network) and thus can't surf the internet. Setting up external DNS servers in DHCP leaves internal users unable to resolve names to devices on our network.

Any idea's on how this might be reconfigured on the DI655 to work without having to buy new equipment?

What type of modem or connection do you have? Some modems run DHCP themselves and have a second DHCP running that may cause problems. If you have a third DHCP running your just asking for problems.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:33:38 PM »

You really need to tell us what your settings are, which encryption or MAC filtering is used, are the clients IP's really not set in Windows etc. Changing DHCP might require a DNS cache refresh on clients.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Alein

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:29:51 PM »

No he do not need to tell us it. DeLink can't provide different gateway in DHCP like some trendnet products.
http://www.trendnet.com/emulators/TEW-672GR_v1.0R/internet/lan.html
DNS you can change. But routing is only available for WAN :(

So your idea that DIR655 will be DHCP server was OK. Change DNS and turn-off DNS relay. Try one DNS internal and one external. Should works.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:32:41 PM by Alein »
DIR-655 A2 FW 1.3x :(