• March 28, 2024, 10:21:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DIR-827 Requires Constant Rebooting  (Read 25797 times)

redfirebird87

• Level 1 Member
DIR-827 Requires Constant Rebooting
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »

First off let me start by apologizing for the wall of text and saying that I’m a router/networking nub. My last D-link router worked flawlessly while it was just me and my laptop in the house. Since there are more of us, and more devices, I had to upgrade and chose the DIR-827 thinking it would give me a chance to learn some new networking skills and such.

Since I first purchased the router about a year ago I’ve had problems. I thought that I could figure it out and resolve them over time, but have never had the time to do so. It’s now become so much of a nuisance that it’s either fix the problems, or purchase a new router. Since the router does work after a few resets, I’m assuming it’s user error.

Problems:
The router time and date are always lagging behind. I’ve tried using the check box for NTP server (ntp1.dlink.com) but it fails to connect. I’m not sure if this is common and/or a cause of further problems.

Will not allow me to log in to websites. I have my home page set to Google.com, and it will just load and load until it finally times out. Other websites that require a log in will not load as well. (Bank, MS Exchange, etc.)

Unstable connection. I’m always getting a message on my Galaxy SIII about how my wireless connection is unstable. I’ve also had problems with my PS3 connecting while playing online games.

Usually after rebooting the router once or sometimes 2 or 3 times it eventually starts working. Then the next day or sometimes in a few hours the process has to be repeated. I’ve tried reading through the “Problems out of the box” thread on here before and tried that persons suggestions along with the “troubleshooting suggestions and tips” with no luck. I was visiting today thinking I would update the firmware and decided it’s time to reach out for some help.

SPECs:
•   What Hardware version is your router? A1
•   What Firmware version is currently loaded? 1.04
•   What region are you located? North America – Missouri
•   Are you wired or wireless connected to the router? Wired to PC wireless to phones / tablet and PS3
•   Has a Factory Reset been performed? Yes
•   Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch? In as much as I was able to
•   Was the router working before any firmware updates? No, ongoing issues since purchase

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations:
•   What ISP Service do you have? Charter Cable
•   What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? Cisco DPC3010
•   Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing? Pretty sure it’s Dynamic
•   What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have? 31.54 Mbps Down 4.36 Mbps Up
•   Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended. I’m using CAT 5e, but both cables work when connected directly from the modem to the pc.

I am very familiar with team viewer, and use it quite frequently. If anyone would have the time to assist me I would be very grateful.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:40:23 PM by redfirebird87 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-827 Requires Constant Rebooting
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel. For the DGL-5500, review this for Streamboost information and settings: Furry's DGL-5500 Review
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
6" minimum safe distance between devices.

There is v1.05 FW however lets see if some troubleshooting first will help the router before upgrading FW. I've had my 827 for a while and when I use it, it works very well with out issues. So there is something going on that is the cause of the problem...
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

redfirebird87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »

Thanks for the reply Furry, I'll answer these in the quote.

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel. For the DGL-5500, review this for Streamboost information and settings: Furry's DGL-5500 Review

QoS is disabled and Traffic Shaping as well, as it was by default.

• Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.

I do not have any.

• Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.

Unicasting is on by default and is therefore checked.

On by default

• Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.

They are.

• If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.

IPv6 is not set up until the wizard is run, I have not done so.

• Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.

I do not see the Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP. SPI is currently on, I'll turn it off. WISH is disabled by default, I have turned WPS off, Enable UPnP is checked by default, I enabled Multicast Streams.

• WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed

WAN Port Speed is set to Auto 10/100/1000Mbps

• Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

I covered this in my OP. Enabling NTP Server ntp1.dlink.com puts the router 1 hour behind my local time. .tw does not work at all.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.

It was changed during initial setup and is not duplicated by any other available networks

• What wireless modes are you using?

Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and b

• 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.

Auto 20/40 MHz, This will take time testing.

• Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.

WPA-Personal

• What wireless devices do you have connected?

Currently, just my phone.

• Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?

None that I know of. None in my home.

• Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?

There are 5 networks in my area, all WPS secured.

• If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Not sure what these are, but if it's off/on by default, it's off/on.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
6" minimum safe distance between devices.

I have a small desk, but the only thing it's within six inches of is a speaker and my 1st monitor

There is v1.05 FW however lets see if some troubleshooting first will help the router before upgrading FW. I've had my 827 for a while and when I use it, it works very well with out issues. So there is something going on that is the cause of the problem...

I'll let it sit over night and check when I'm home from work tomorrow if any of the changes had an effect.
Thanks for your time.

Edit: didn't have to wait long, currently trying to load google, it's timing out. I can connect to the dlink forums, but can't connect to cnn.com, google (cannot establish a connection), my works MS Exchange (The connection was reset The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.) and that's all I tried.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:04:04 PM by redfirebird87 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »

Oops forgot to edit my link:
http://www.metageek.net/support/metageek-software-archives/

Free version v3 is available if needed...

If your not using the 5Ghz radio for any thing, you can disable this radio if your only using the 2.4Ghz radio.

I recommend setting the router away from other electronics and speakers as they can effect the router being too close.

Also set the WiFi mode from Mixed A, B, G and N to mixed G and N or Single mode N if your devices all support N mode. No need to broadcast other modes that your not using.

Keep us posted...
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

redfirebird87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »

Oops forgot to edit my link:
http://www.metageek.net/support/metageek-software-archives/

Free version v3 is available if needed...

If your not using the 5Ghz radio for any thing, you can disable this radio if your only using the 2.4Ghz radio.

I recommend setting the router away from other electronics and speakers as they can effect the router being too close.

Also set the WiFi mode from Mixed A, B, G and N to mixed G and N or Single mode N if your devices all support N mode. No need to broadcast other modes that your not using.

Keep us posted...

Thanks, I downloaded the free inSSIDer program. Initially it says "No wifi Devices connected" after rebooting the router... it still does. The only tab lit up is Learn. Networks / Channels and Analyze are greyed out.

I moved the router to the farthest location I can get from speakers and monitors, tower and modem.

My phone uses the 5, play station uses the 2.4 so I'd like to be able to utilize both.

I changed to Mixed G and N.

I'm now not able to connect to google even after a few reboots. Oddly enough, my phone has a full connection. I unchecked the NTP server, copied my computer's time and rebooted. I can now connect to google fine.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:25:17 PM by redfirebird87 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »

Kewl...let us know how the new settings work. Ok, if your using the 5Ghz keep it ON, you can use Single mode N on that radio as well.

redfirebird87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »

Kewl...let us know how the new settings work. Ok, if your using the 5Ghz keep it ON, you can use Single mode N on that radio as well.

Setting to only N pops up "802.11n only mode doesn't support TKIP." which is on under Cipher Type.

haha, I don't think the new settings are working since it didn't allow me to connect even to google after applying them all. Will do more tomorrow.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »

IF your devices support AES security, that's preferred. Set WPA2/AES only while using single mode N.

redfirebird87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »

I've set the wireless to n only, and changed it to AES only. Still no luck.  ???

Got anything else?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:19:55 AM »

As a test, try single mode N and WPA2/AES only with 20Mhz only Channel Width, then try single G with WPA2 and TPIK only with auto 20/40Mhz Channel Width. Post each result.

After this, we might try FW update...

redfirebird87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »

As a test, try single mode N and WPA2/AES only with 20Mhz only Channel Width, then try single G with WPA2 and TPIK only with auto 20/40Mhz Channel Width. Post each result.

After this, we might try FW update...

PC and phone have connected with N / WPA2 / and 20 Mhz. My PS3 is not connecting for some reason. Not sure if it was happening after the initial round of changes, because I just decided to check it today.

After changing to G with WPA2 and TPIK and auto 20/40 the PC is connected as is my phone. No PS3, but I'm working on that now. The 5Ghz band does not have an option for G.

Edit: PS3 connects with G only.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:21:17 PM by redfirebird87 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »

Try to reset the PS3 network settings or anything that you can clear out the networking on it. Power it OFF after the reset, then back ON and try to connect it. I belive PS3 only supports 2.4Ghz?

redfirebird87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »

Correct, only 2.4, and only b/g. I got it to connect. Everything is connected... for the moment. I can let it sit and see if the router eventually needs to be rebooted.

Quick Edit: My phone is connected to the 5GHz.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:27 AM »

Kewl, keep us posted...Only thing we can try maybe is a FW update however I don't think that will resolve anything. There wasn't any WiFi improvements I believe.

IF needed, maybe someone can review your router settings with you using Link> teamviewer if your interested. Its safe and secure.

redfirebird87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »

Yeah, I think we made it angry.. Today when I got home the "world" Icon was lit up orange. I reset the router and it came back on the same way. I unhooked it and hooked the modem in direct to my PC and it said my IP address was invalid. Not seen that before.

I reset the modem and I'm currently just on with my PC. Not sure what could cause that to happen. I'm more than open to the teamviewer idea if you or anyone would have the time and desire to look things over. If not I can try giving Dlink support a call if they have a service number I suppose.

After turning both the router and modem off, powering on the router then the modem, I'm back to not being able to load google, but can load this page currently.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:22:35 PM by redfirebird87 »
Pages: [1] 2