• March 28, 2024, 02:29:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I can't find DNS-320 on network  (Read 49445 times)

germm

• Level 1 Member
I can't find DNS-320 on network
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »

Strangely, almost every time I want to access our DNS-320 via the WLAN, I cannot find it. If I unplug the power from the unit and then plug it back in, it will reappear on the network...for a time.

Would this be a router/DHCP issue or is the DNS-320 some how disappearing (not sure how it would)? Currently the DNS-320 is connected to a D-link switch feeding many ethernet ports in the house. My issue is when I try to access it through the WLAN.

finalturismo

• Level 1 Member
Re: I can't find DNS-320 on network
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »

Yes , you must replug the Ethernet cable or power the unit on and off to access it.

If you reboot your router it will cause this. I posted this issue and keep asking for a firmware update to fix the issues with the dns 320 and 325, but i dont think they will.

keep in mind it was 4 months from their last update, so they probably just forgot about it all together.

If they dont fix the problem when the product is new , they they probably arnt going to fix it in the future.

JohnSmith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »

That almost sounds like a faulty ethernet cable, switch or router issue if it's intermittant.  I've had cat6 cables that are flakey even when brand new which resulted in network issues.  You might want to check the basics first to see if you can eliminate those problems.  Another possibility might be a defective keystone jack either on the DNS or the switch/router itself that might not be making good contact with the ethernet cable.
Two DNS-320's (V2.00) with Hitachi 2TB drives
Windows 7 Home Premium / XP Pro

germm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »

Thanks guys, this gives me a start. It has been very frustrating the last couple of days. We have a two story house and the router/DNS-320 are in the basement. So I have to constantly go down there to unplug the system. After, the 320 will show up in my network for a few minutes, but then go away.

germm

• Level 1 Member
Still having issues with my network
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »

right now, I am beyond frustrated with my network/DNS-320 issue. I cannot keep my network from losing my DNS. This has to be a firmware or hardware issue with the DNS. It is the only part of my network that has this issue. The only remedy is the perform a hard reset of the 320. The device will show up on the network for a few hours, and then go missing.

Can anyone help me? What should I do to correct this problem?

JuLx64

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:58:46 AM »

I don't have the issue. I've added the DNS-320 as a network drive using the "connect at startup" option in Windows. When I start the computer the link is showed with a red cross (I suppose it's because the WiFi connection is not immediately active when Windows starts and checks drive conections), but when I click on it it goes active within a couple of seconds.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »

Germm, have you checked that you can access the DNS-320 when connected by cable?  If you can then there is nothing physically wrong with the unit.

How is your DNS-320 set up - static IP address or via DHCP.  If the latter that is your problem. 

Give the DNS-320 a fixed IP address and then see if that fixes your problem.  If it doesn't then you will have to go looking at your WiFi setup.

deep95

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »

Hi,
I've got the same problem but a bit different..

I got 3 computers at home, and only one can see the DNS-320 on the network.. i don't understand why the others can't ..
I think it happened because I switched the ethernet cable to another port on my box..

Someone could help me ?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »

Were all three PCs ever able to see the DNS-320 on your network (i.e. is this a new problem)?
What OS is on each PC? Are the PCs wired or wireless? Is the NAS directly connected to your router or indirectly connected via a swith? Can you ping the NAS from all three PCs?

Did you try rebooting the router and/or NAS?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:34:16 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

deep95

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 12:42:18 PM »

I've got the dns-320 since 5 months and all three PCs were able to see it..
Every PC is on Windows 7 64bits and are wired.

The nas is directly connected to my box and I can ping the NAS on every PC..

The probleme just came 2 days ago, I don't know why.. =/ I tried to reboot the router and also the Nas..

I really don't know what's the problem =(

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »

Did you recently install a firewall or virus protection app on your network?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

germm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »

Germm, have you checked that you can access the DNS-320 when connected by cable?  If you can then there is nothing physically wrong with the unit.

How is your DNS-320 set up - static IP address or via DHCP.  If the latter that is your problem. 

Give the DNS-320 a fixed IP address and then see if that fixes your problem.  If it doesn't then you will have to go looking at your WiFi setup.
I have the DNS-320 set up to a static address and it is connected directly to my router (I used to have it on a switch). I wonder if the issue is with a setting with my router. Unfortunately, I am not competent enough with the router to make many advanced changes. Both drives within the DNS are 2 gig Western digital drives. I have activated the UPnP on the unit so that I can access it with my xbox. I have also mapped both drives to my PC - when I try to access the drives, I get the same error "An error occured while reconnecting Y: to \\DNS-320 windows network: the network path was not found.

If I perform a hard reset on the DNS, it will work on the network for several hours. After a that time, I can no longer access these drives through the network.

Any thoughts. I desperate for an answer.

JuLx64

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:28:41 AM »

I have the DNS-320 set up to a static address and it is connected directly to my router (I used to have it on a switch). I wonder if the issue is with a setting with my router. Unfortunately, I am not competent enough with the router to make many advanced changes.

Could you at least show the router configuration settings, and the static IP you've assigned to the DNS-320 ?

germm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »

Could you at least show the router configuration settings, and the static IP you've assigned to the DNS-320 ?
I will get some screen shots tonight.

deep95

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »

Did you recently install a firewall or virus protection app on your network?

Not at all =/
Pages: [1] 2