• April 16, 2024, 04:46:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: usb port speed  (Read 6318 times)

TheIceMan

• Level 2 Member
usb port speed
« on: January 01, 2009, 08:40:09 AM »

i just got dir-855, works great, but i have one small problem, i attached an usb hdd to the router and the speed is very poor , around 1-1.2 mbytes/sec, while on the pc i get like 30 mbytes/sec. i am connected at the router at 1Gb/sec, so the connection should sustain what the hdd is giving, any ideeas ?

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: usb port speed
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »

I think there is no way to get more speed out of this in the moment.
DIR-855 and 655 are working at USB 1.1 Speed.
Maybe it is because of the emulation of a local USB-port on router and utility.
This may need a lot of the processor ressources.

But it is the same with all routers I know that offer USB for HDD, Printers and so on.
Not only D-Link.

If the share port is in use, sometimes my ping to the internet rises from 20ms to 100ms and more.

TheIceMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:29:30 PM »

this site says it has a usb 2.0 port,

http://www.speedguide.net/broadband-view.php?hw=254

anyway, i should get then a NAS device, and leave de usb
port alone, i'll get much more speed that way.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:33:15 PM by TheIceMan »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:58:04 PM »

The final USB speed is determined by the processing power of the router's CPU. Since it is limited and does this (translating it to ethernet) 'on the side', you can never compare that speed with a direct USB/PC connection. You should get about 5 Mb/s out of it, the dact that you have a Gigabit ethernet connection has nothing to do with the speed. Even gigabit NAS devices give you max 19 Mb/s (the more excpensive ones), again the processor inside the device is the limiting factor.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

TheIceMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 04:45:05 PM »

then leaving out the wireless part, you can get better results from a linux box with 1gb/sec net card.

but i still don't get it. dir-855 in one of the most expensive routers on the market, work very well, but
why the didn't put a decent cpu in it ? also in the nas, the hole ideea with any sharing device is to work
at the speed of the network that being 100 or 1000mbit/sec.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 03:14:54 AM »

then leaving out the wireless part, you can get better results from a linux box with 1gb/sec net card.

but i still don't get it. dir-855 in one of the most expensive routers on the market, work very well, but
why the didn't put a decent cpu in it ? also in the nas, the hole ideea with any sharing device is to work
at the speed of the network that being 100 or 1000mbit/sec.

CPU + RAM are the most important factors. Adding faster CPU and more RAM will also increase other hardware demands inside the router. The powersource needs to suppy more amps, a faster cpu produces more heat so more cooling is necessary etc. And more of those things will raise unitcost (and the retailprice!) The best performing NASes are much more expensive then $150 because of their specs.

Concerning the routers with added USB features, when you buy a NAS you should always go for the ethernet ones. Routers are designed to handle ethernet packages, the USB NAS access is just an added feature. The routers are designed for a primary task: routing ethernet traffic. And the current specs  do nicely for that job ánd the added functionalities. But don't expect top performance for a secondary function of the router.

Sure, they can do it, but how many people would be prepared to pay and extra $75 for this router with better USB performance? If this would be avery large group the marketing guys would have figured that out already.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33