• April 25, 2024, 07:16:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Slow internet with torrents  (Read 11755 times)

rajveer

• Level 1 Member
Slow internet with torrents
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »

I find that the rest of my internet slows down whenever I use torrents; I'm in no way going beyond my upload or download bandwidth, or maxing out the number of connections. This is with both QoS on and off, and pinging www.bbc.co.uk shows the latency increases quite a lot.

With the same settings my SpeedTouch 585v6 (which I've set up in bridge mode as the modem) works fine and connects torrents quicker without sacrificing the rest of the net; is there anything I could be missing? (This is with the 1.12EU firmware)

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
Re: Slow internet with torrents
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »

do you have a software firewall installed on your computer?

also, you may want to contact your ISP and confirm your speeds. Could be a signal issue, etc.
The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.

rajveer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »

Nope, no software other than the standard and firewalls are configured properly. Also, since nothing like this happens when using my SpeedTouch on it's own I'm inclined to believe that it's the DLink :(. Using uTorrent or BitLord on either my PC or laptop slows everything, even my PS3 was downloading extremely slow when hardly using any bandwidth for torrents.

Also checked my connection, signal is strong and attenuation is low, and according to my SpeedTouch I've synced at a stable 17MB down and 1.2MB up for a week without any issues.

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
    • D-Link Technical Support
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »

Nope, no software other than the standard and firewalls are configured properly. Also, since nothing like this happens when using my SpeedTouch on it's own I'm inclined to believe that it's the DLink :(. Using uTorrent or BitLord on either my PC or laptop slows everything, even my PS3 was downloading extremely slow when hardly using any bandwidth for torrents.

Also checked my connection, signal is strong and attenuation is low, and according to my SpeedTouch I've synced at a stable 17MB down and 1.2MB up for a week without any issues.

Well, it sounds like you've established that the problem occurs when you use torrents. When you do experience the slowness issues how much download/upload bandwidth are you using? You can cap the download/upload amount on most all torrent programs. You might just be using all your bandwidth here. Once you cap the rates in which you send/receive you should notice a faster connection on all of your computers.

Best of Luck,

Russell

rajveer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »

I'm not reaching my bandwidth at all, my BeBox says I'm syncing at 17Mb down and 1.2Mb up, and I get slowdown when downloading and uploading at any rate (i.e. 0.5Kb down and 0.7Kb up right now). I've tried limiting max connections as low as 10 and nothing, pinging www.bbc.co.uk is usually 14/15ms but when up/downloading at any rate it changes to > 50ms and missing packets.

Alex Molina

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »

First off all what is the size of the torrent your downloading ?

What you can try is check the Quality of service QOS rules. in order to prioritize the traffic other option are taking out dynamic fragmentation or automatic uplink speed on the router ..
This should help you on the performance of router .

Blodgrape

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 05:12:50 PM »

I find that the rest of my internet slows down whenever I use torrents; I'm in no way going beyond my upload or download bandwidth, or maxing out the number of connections. This is with both QoS on and off, and pinging www.bbc.co.uk shows the latency increases quite a lot.

With the same settings my SpeedTouch 585v6 (which I've set up in bridge mode as the modem) works fine and connects torrents quicker without sacrificing the rest of the net; is there anything I could be missing? (This is with the 1.12EU firmware)

I seem to have the exact same problem. I dont use a software firewall either. QoS is off btw. I have tried some different setups but without any luck. Major latency increases from 22ms to 420-520ms when using torrents.
Both wired and wireless. 
Any suggestions on what to try next? With my older replaced and cheap Netgear 624 router I got way way better torrent speeds (and overall internet speeds) and NO noticable latency when browsing the internet and using uTorrent at the same time. The seconds I turn off the torrents I get good speed though. 28Mbit/s DL and 5-6Mbit/s UL.
When using uTorrent I most often dont get 1Mbit/s UL and DL even though uTorrent does not even use 0.5Mbit/s. (Tested both wired and wireless)

Well well... I'll wait a few days and if I dont solve it I consider selling my 855 off.  ???

Thanks

Update: Tried some other stuff without success. I am running my PC in DMZ now and I still have the same problems. Not much I havent tried now... losing my hope for this product... :( I dont know how many hours I've spent on this now. Going back to my old Netgear WGT624 v3 until I get some suggestions or answers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 09:11:34 PM by Blodgrape »

bhe

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:42:34 AM »

I got the same problem, when using a torrent client the connection speed drops to something i can't even measure.

Firmware is 1.11EU

I also got a NetGear WNR854T and there are no problems when using that one.

I really hope for some answers here.

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 11:37:03 AM »

As an experiment, can those of you that are having this problem

Do BOTH, but do them in this order:
1.  Turn off DHT (to see if the effect is caused by the number of UDP NAT entries)
2.  Change your port, (because even though you've turned off DHT, you'll continue to get DHT packets at the old port for several hours, and these packets would open NAT entries)

Report back whether things are noticeably better (even if they're not perfect). 

Note: DHT's main job is usually as a "backup tracker" but more and more services are becoming available on it.  These days, it's fine to run without DHT but it's not a fix.  If this helps, D-Link should investigate why performance degrades while DHT is running.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »

I'm not reaching my bandwidth at all, my BeBox says I'm syncing at 17Mb down and 1.2Mb up, and I get slowdown when downloading and uploading at any rate (i.e. 0.5Kb down and 0.7Kb up right now). I've tried limiting max connections as low as 10 and nothing, pinging www.bbc.co.uk is usually 14/15ms but when up/downloading at any rate it changes to > 50ms and missing packets.

Not only do you need to limit the number of upload connections, but also the max. bandwidth the upload can use. If you offer 1.2 up, a BT client will use it. And by doing that you will also kill your download.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Zonk76

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »

I noticed similar issue here with my new DIR-855 (1.12EU). With the new router my Usenet download speed became very slow (about 20% of the possible bandwith). Even worse, surfing in parallel in the internet became annoying slow - even my wife noticed  ::) It takes a looong time to access and open websites. Turning off software FW and AV, FW in the router, QoS and WISH didn't change or improvedanything  :-[

arod

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »

Try locking down to a specific WAN port speed, rather than having it set to Auto and see if that makes a difference.