• April 19, 2024, 03:41:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wake on Lan on 1.31B2 EU?  (Read 9662 times)

yazooo

• Level 1 Member
Wake on Lan on 1.31B2 EU?
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:24:31 AM »

Hi,

I've read the other threads on WoL, and have tried the changing of my subnet mask to no joy. Just to check, is WoL working for anyone on this FW version? I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet, something I wish I would have checked on before purchasing the router. To be fair though it works great for me in all other respects.

Cheers,
yaz

Chevalier

• Level 1 Member
Re: Wake on Lan on 1.31B2 EU?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:02:06 AM »

I have exactly the same problem with this beta and have to reboot the router to solve the problem.

It is very annoying :>(

yazooo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:04:32 AM »

Are you saying you have got WoL working on this FW version, after rebooting? If so could you tell me the method please!

Cheers

al3x

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »

I just found this thread via Google.

I got the exact same problem with this new firmware. I was able to use Wake-On-LAN from the internet in earlier versions of this firmware. I use a DIR-655 btw.

Due to the HNAP issue I was forced to upgrade to version 1.31EUb02. I reconfigured everything the same way (I made screenshots from the old config to make sure I don't forget settings). But sadly WOL isn't working anymore over internet since that.

So, if anyone from D-Link staff is reading this:
Please fix this error! There has to be something wrong with this latest firmware...

Thank you guys,
Alex

yazooo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »

I finally got this working.

router ip 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
dhcp range 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199

tools / virtual server

wake on lan, port 9, 192.168.0.255.

now the difference is clicking on those silly little arrows to fill the box ' <<  '

i know, crazy. do it for both the ip address and wake on lan, just change the ip to what it should be.

working for me now over local and wan - what a relief!

al3x

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:37 AM »

now the difference is clicking on those silly little arrows to fill the box ' <<  '

Oh my god. It's working. I honestly don't believe this.
What do these buttons do you can't do by just filling out those fields? I don't get it.

I was going to delete this thread from my bookmarks because I wasn't expecting an answer anymore.
Thank you for reporting back your solution! :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:02:16 AM by al3x »

yazooo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:01:21 AM »

glad it's working for you as well...i could hardly believe it myself last night, especially being so easy in the end! no chance i am updating this firmware!

al3x

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »

Ok, so I checked the source code of the "Virtual Server" page.
There's one tiny difference between using or not using the "<<" button:

This is the outcome if you enter everything manually:
Code: [Select]
<input type="hidden" name="config.virtual_servers[2].alg_assoc" id="vs_alg_2" value="" />
And this is stored if you just use the "<<" button:
<input type="hidden" name="config.virtual_servers[2].alg_assoc" id="vs_alg_2" value="Wake-On-LAN" />
It seems to me these predefined settings do more than just filling up the fields. The menu setting "Wake-On-LAN" is stored separately in "alg_assoc" (whatever that might be...) and changes the behavoir of the routing somehow.

Edit:
"But wait, there's more" ;)

These are the predefined profiles you can choose from:

{ name: "Application Name", private_port: "", protocol: "", public_port: "", alg_assoc: "" },
{ name: "TELNET", private_port: "23", protocol: "6", public_port: "23", alg_assoc: "" }, //1
{ name: "HTTP", private_port: "80", protocol: "6", public_port: "80", alg_assoc: "" },
{ name: "HTTPS", private_port: "443", protocol: "6", public_port: "443", alg_assoc: "" }, //3
{ name: "FTP", private_port: "21", protocol: "6", public_port: "21", alg_assoc: "FTP" },
{ name: "DNS", private_port: "53", protocol: "17", public_port: "53", alg_assoc: "" }, //5
{ name: "SMTP", private_port: "25", protocol: "6", public_port: "25", alg_assoc: "" },
{ name: "POP3", private_port: "110", protocol: "6", public_port: "110", alg_assoc: "" }, //7
{ name: "H.323", private_port: "1720", protocol: "6", public_port: "1720", alg_assoc: "H.323" },
{ name: "REMOTE DESKTOP", private_port: "3389", protocol: "6", public_port: "3389", alg_assoc: "" }, //9
{ name: "PPTP", private_port: "1723", protocol: "6", public_port: "1723", alg_assoc: "PPTP Control" },
{ name: "L2TP", private_port: "1701", protocol: "17", public_port: "1701", alg_assoc: "" }, //11
{ name: "Wake-On-LAN", private_port: "9", protocol: "17", public_port: "9", alg_assoc: "Wake-On-LAN" }

Only FTP, H.323, PPTP and WOL set alg_assoc. Every other profile resets it to "".
What does alg_assoc do?

And now something funny: If you change an entry, the alg_assoc setting will stick to the last one used! For example: You use WOL (with "<<" button) on the third entry so alg_assoc is set to "Wake-On-Lan". Later you overwrite the third entry with an ICQ port forwarding (not using the "<<" button!). The alg_assoc setting is still set to WOL. I call that a bug.

Would be really cool if we could get a statement from D-Link to this. What's the purpose of alg_assoc?
Are they even reading this forum? I highly doubt that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:28:16 AM by al3x »

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »

In the Advanced/Firewall Settings you can find the ALGs of his router:

Application Level Gateway (ALG) Configuration
PPTP :  
PPPoE :  
IPSec (VPN) :  
RTSP :  
Windows/MSN Messenger :    (automatically disabled if UPnP is enabled)
FTP :  
H.323 (NetMeeting) :  
SIP :  
Wake-On-LAN :  
MMS :  

FTP ALG for example helps the router to recognize ftp connections, even if they don't use standard port 21 or passive ports.

If you open the page in the "No Style" view you can also see the WOL - ALG, not only the 4 normal.
These virtual server rules are associated with an ALG and its settings. So you have additional routines treating your data if you use the predefined settings.

al3x

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »

That was new to me, thanks for explaining! I knew there were settings for PPTP and IPsec, but I didn't know there are also hidden settings for those other services.

Well.. what I still don't understand is why WOL is only working when using these ALG settings. It should work just fine by forwarding port 9 as long as it's a standard UDP packet. Anyway, it's finally working and I think I won't touch that firmware again for as long as it's working.

Btw, because I'm wondering: Are there more useful options available which are also hidden by CSS?